• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Travel Thread

It amazes me when people say that and it's only 49 quid on a plane.
Just something about proximity, isn't it? I know I prioritise further away places.

I've lived down the road from the Tower of London for nearly 15 years. Have I ever popped in to take a gander at the crown jewels? Have I fuck.

I was supposed to go to west Ireland with squeeze and the kids about four years ago. My stupidity in not noticing my passport had expired got in the way. It’s a wonder she put up with me as long as she did

Germany
France
Holland
Belgium
Lux
Spain
Italy
Austria
Switzerland
San Marino
Turkey
Greece
Hungary
Bulgaria
Cyprus
Croatia
Montenegro
Vatican (I’m ‘aving that coz TT says so)

Tunisia
Morocco

Malaysia
Singapore
Yemen
Dubai
Thailand
Cuba
Mexico
Canada
USA (Lived in LA for 1 year (Northridge) and a separate holiday in NY).

Costa Rica this year and would like to do Vietnam but we’ll see, and Oz Northern Territory planned for next. Lucky enough to be going to the Monaco GP this year too (TT says that counts).

Interesting reflecting as travel mirrors your lifetime opportunity/circumstances cycles. Periods of nothing (sometimes years) and periods of opportunity to hopefully capitalise on. Just feel grateful that later has presented itself and never take anything for granted.

Reflecting there seems a couple of obvious ones slipped through the net - Portugal (dunno, just never happened) and Ireland (for some reason have never had any desire whatsoever to go (I don’t know why either).

Would love to have gone to Romania and some of the other (former) eastern bloc countries years ago when the east/west differences were much greater, but you get to the stage you want less grief in your travel so that’s probably a ship that has sailed now.

Good to look back though, nice memories.

I really liked Denver, Chicago is pretty good too. I've travelled all over the US, this will sound harsh but if I never went back I'd be totally happy with that. I find it a baffling and difficult place - interspersed with some really great people.

Argentina
Chile
Bolivia
Peru
Ecuador
Brazil
Venezuela
Mexico
Cuba
US
Canada

Ireland
Sweden
Germany
Netherlands
Belgium
France
Spain
Portugal
Italy
Switzerland
Malta
Andorra

Bit of a weird list really. I seem to be missing a few continents. Obviously if I knew I'd be typing this on TWF one day I'd have made the minor effort to visit Uruguay and Paraguay back in the day. Long way now to go to back for a great steak and to see one of the world's weirdest countries respectively.

Europe:

Ireland
France
Belgium
Spain
Portugal
Netherlands
Germany
Poland
Hungary
Bulgaria
Croatia
Montenegro
Italy
Greece
Turkey

Adding Cyprus and Austria to the list in 2024

Non-Europe:

USA
Cuba

Never been further east than Turkey, never been to Asia or Africa either. Need to sort that over the next few years. Jealous of Kenny going to Thailand.

Boston is fantastic to be fair
I used to rescue dogs that were about to be put down so I took 3 greyhounds to be rehomed with a lovely lady in Boston, but I'm a country boy so I got straight out of Boston and onto a train and went to Rockport.
Now THAT was an experience on many levels!

Thought I'd have a go, cheated and edited an online list:
Countries of North America (23)

Canada

US

Mexico

Countries of Europe (43)

Norway

Sweden

Finland

Estonia

Latvia

Ireland

UK

Denmark

Portugal

Spain

Andorra

France

Monaco

Switzerland

Lieischenstein

Luxembourg

Belgium

Netherlands

Germany

Italy

Malta

San Marino

Poland

Czech Republic

Slovakia

Austria

Hungary

Slovenia

Croatia

Greece

Countries of Africa (54)

Morocco

Algeria

Tunisia

Egypt

Senegal

Ghana

Nigeria

(Democratic Republic of) Congo

Uganda

Kenya

Rwanda

Tanzania

Angola

Zambia

Malawi

Mozambique

Namibia

Botswana

Zimbabwe

South Africa

Countries of Asia (47)

Oman

UAE

Qatar

Bahrain

Saudi Arabia

Israel

Cyprus

Turkey*

China

India

Malaysia

Singapore

Japan

Countries of Oceania (14)

Australia

Non-UN Member Nations

Palestine

Vatican City

Canada

US

Mexico

Countries of Europe (43)

Norway

Sweden

Finland

Estonia

Latvia

Ireland

UK

Denmark

Portugal

Spain

Andorra

France

Monaco

Switzerland

Lieischenstein

Luxembourg

Belgium

Netherlands

Germany

Italy

Malta

San Marino

Poland

Czech Republic

Slovakia

Austria

Hungary

Slovenia

Croatia

Greece

Countries of Africa (54)

Morocco

Algeria

Tunisia

Egypt

Senegal

Ghana

Nigeria

Uganda

Kenya

Rwanda

Tanzania

Angola

Zambia

Malawi

Mozambique

Namibia

Botswana

Zimbabwe

South Africa

Countries of Asia (47)

Oman

UAE

Qatar

Bahrain

Saudi Arabia

Israel

Cyprus

Turkey*

China

India

Malaysia

Singapore

Japan

Australia

Non-UN Member Nations

Palestine

Vatican City

That is a hell of a list, would love to visit South/Central America but unlikely now.
I'm hoping to get to Africa in a couple of years but its likely only to be Morocco, also have a fancy for Turkey and dipping my toe into Central Asia.

I really liked Denver, Chicago is pretty good too. I've travelled all over the US, this will sound harsh but if I never went back I'd be totally happy with that. I find it a baffling and difficult place - interspersed with some really great people.

You (or anyone else) ever been to Seattle?

Reason for asking is am going back to Vancouver in July and taking the a ship up to Alaska, but doing a linear trip further north ending up in Anchorage. I don’t really want to fly back to Van afterwards so the return options are whittled down to a few days in Las Vegas (did that once, never again) or a few in Seattle.

The practical thing would be to go to Seattle but it does seem very expensive and not that inspiring, but that might just be the bit of a downer on all things American I seem to have at the moment.

I used to rescue dogs that were about to be put down so I took 3 greyhounds to be rehomed with a lovely lady in Boston, but I'm a country boy so I got straight out of Boston and onto a train and went to Rockport.
Now THAT was an experience on many levels!

Through Manchester by the Sea, Salem, Gloucester (of Perfect Storm fame) Rockport. Damn, loved it.

Canada

US

Mexico

Countries of Europe (43)

Norway

Sweden

Finland

Estonia

Latvia

Ireland

UK

Denmark

Portugal

Spain

Andorra

France

Monaco

Switzerland

Lieischenstein

Luxembourg

Belgium

Netherlands

Germany

Italy

Malta

San Marino

Poland

Czech Republic

Slovakia

Austria

Hungary

Slovenia

Croatia

Greece

Countries of Africa (54)

Morocco

Algeria

Tunisia

Egypt

Senegal

Ghana

Nigeria

Uganda

Kenya

Rwanda

Tanzania

Angola

Zambia

Malawi

Mozambique

Namibia

Botswana

Zimbabwe

South Africa

Countries of Asia (47)

Oman

UAE

Qatar

Bahrain

Saudi Arabia

Israel

Cyprus

Turkey*

China

India

Malaysia

Singapore

Japan

Australia

Non-UN Member Nations

Palestine

Vatican City

Man we are soooo different, I would love to go to the States but I'd rather have all my teeth pulled without anaesthetic than go to NYC
Why have you reached that conclusion?

NYC is the favourite place I've been. Gone 6 times and always something different to get up to. Unlike a few on here I wasn't a fan of Boston, although I liked the wider New England area. The place stinks of cannabis everywhere you go.

Back