• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Travel Thread

I’d use the Americans asking for that shizzle as an excuse never to go to the US again and thank my lucky stars about it.

As part of the process at the embassy you have to provide an ACRO police certificate which takes a while to come through itself. I had a minor misdemeanour in 1985 (only time I’ve ever been in court and long since ‘spent’ (and to be honest at almost 40 years ago not something I’d even though about in decades)) and that was enough to spook them. You need to provide all your social media presence information over too, plus a load of other stuff. It was a bloody nightmare.

Must admit I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry when you see what’s going on at the Mexican border now.

So yeah, just about exhausted by the US now.

Edit:

I should’ve pointed out I lived in LA from ‘88 to ‘89 on a I year visa but that didn’t count for anything this time. Thanks Donald for moving the goalposts.

Last edited:
Which part of the caribbean though?

St Lucia is different to Barbados etc etc
I really enjoy The Bahamas - been there twice.

My favourite place was St.Maarten in the Dutch Virgin Islands, followed by St.Thomas and St.Kitts.
Breathtaking scenery, loads of history - we visited the famous Maho beach where the incoming passenger planes approach the airport just metres above the beach and their jetwash blows you back into the sea, Sir Francis Drakes seat at the top of a mountain overlooking the harbour in St Thomas,, swam in one of the top 10 beaches in the World and visited an old British army fortress at Brimstone Hill on St.Kitts. Ate amzing seafood and drank cocktails out of a coconut while Bob Marley music was playing everywhere.

Least favourite was Puerto Rico - it felt like being in the US and not the Caribbean.

Mrs HW has always wanted to go to New England. What would be the best way to do this?I don’t want to hire a car because the driver doesn’t get to see the views.
Maybe fly to Maine/Boston and do trips from these places? Maybe two centre holiday?
What is unmissable?
Any companies that anyone could recommend who could organise this, or is it better doing it ourselves?
Thanks

We did 10 days with Swampscott 15 miles north of Boston as the hub. We did have a car though, although I'm sure coach tours will be available. There's some lovely small and medium sized harbour towns on the Maine/MA coast, the Salem witch museum is worth a visit, it's so terrible it goes to the entertaining side of bad. My mustn't miss would be Martha's Vineyard, expensive if you want to stay there (we stayed overnight in Falmouth instead), but well worth a day or 2. There are different opinions of Boston on here, some people really like it, I wasn't such a fan.

We went in August though so before the 'fall'.

Last edited:
We did a coach tour, a few years ago, in the fall. Stunning. Could not of seen as much if we had done it ourselves. Downside is you`re living out of a suitcase which can be a tad tiresome.

Planning a staycation for the summer, likely to do a few days in Edinburgh before heading over to the Lakes (Kendall) for a festival. Anywhere anyone can recommend for a few days in between to break the trip up on the way down?

York maybe? Long time since I went but @Kenny did last year (and found the most Brexit bar possible, because of course he did)

I was thinking more the Scottish end, on the way down to the Lakes

We stayed near Dumfries a few years ago, was really good - not the town so much but the surrounding areas was fantastic, decent beach too.

Planning a staycation for the summer, likely to do a few days in Edinburgh before heading over to the Lakes (Kendall) for a festival. Anywhere anyone can recommend for a few days in between to break the trip up on the way down?
Moffat
Ecklefechan

Dumfries, Moffat are both good bases and the towns themselves arent bad.
Kirkcudbright is nice but may be a bit off your route.

I can recommend never using the word staycation ever again if you want to maintain any sort of forum cred
Another term whose accidental misuse has now become its main use.
Cf. "brain fart"...

Back