• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Velotard Thread.

No indexing problems so far. I need to hook it up to the software because it's in some kind of semi-auto cross chain prevention mode which I can't seem to disable. Out on the road it rarely causes any issues tho, tbf. I just would rather be in full control of which gear to use.
The bike is lovely to ride though. Much better fit than my Cube. Its super responsive, climbing is a breeze. I thought I'd miss my 32 at the back but it's so good in the hills that I've not felt short of that bailout gear.

One thing I might change is the bar tape for something a bit more comfortable. The stock stuff feels a bit thin.

Not had a puncture yet, touch wood, so still riding the Vittoria tyres. If I do change them, I'll probably go tubeless as the wheels are TL-ready.

I had to use the granny gear for the first time yesterday. The climb was knocking on about 20% though so entirely justifiable. Most of the time I'm cruising on the big ring and taking on most of the local climbs on the same.

I had to use the granny gear for the first time yesterday. The climb was knocking on about 20% though so entirely justifiable. Most of the time I'm cruising on the big ring and taking on most of the local climbs on the same.

Yep, I've been keeping it in the big ring far more than my Cube. Which is why whatever mode I've got the Di2 in that's stopping the full big ring to big cog cross chain can be a bit annoying.

Don't get me wrong I still use the granny gear when the gradient really hits, but I thought I'd miss that final jump to 34-32. With the Boardman being probably a kilo lighter and super-responsive, I've not missed it at all. And I'm a "sit and spin" kind of guy for the most part.

whatever mode I've got the Di2 in that's stopping the full big ring to big cog cross chain can be a bit annoying.

I've got that as well, so you can get most of the way down the cassette before it switches down to the little ring. That's fine but the other week it was a real palaver as I wanted to go down to lower gears as I had a long and quite steep climb ahead so wanted to spin a bit, however going up a gear to keep momentum would bring it back up to the big ring. I'd need some time to sit down and really understand the method before tinkering.

Another question! I’m currently tracking my rides using my hybrid watch - this does heart rate, time etc but using A/GPS for location, so means I have to always have my phone. That’s a pain.

I’m contemplating either upgrading my watch to one with built in GPS or getting a bike mount for my phone. Anyone have either or both? Interested to hear any thoughts.

The big downside to upgrading the watch would be the battery life I suspect, I get 3-4 weeks out of my current one.

You got a budget?
I would recommend a dedicated bike computer, but if your accustom to heart rate monitoring then you'd need to buy a separate heart rate monitor to pair up to the bike computer. Starts getting a bit pricey then.

If you want to attach your phone, Quadlock seem to be the go-to brand. Using a phone as a bike computer has its downsides tho. I've been on a ride where a bump in the road has caused my mates phone to jump out of the mount and smash of the floor.

Bike mounts are unnecessary unless you're using it for directions. Can't you just put your phone in a pocket?

Most cycle tops have pockets on your back and Strava works just fine for me with it in there. Alternatively I have a stem bag attached and put the phone in there along with a charging block so you can go on longer rides or stay out overnight and keep on tracking. Might want to pause if you go for a pub stop as it kills your segment times :)

You got a budget?
I would recommend a dedicated bike computer, but if your accustom to heart rate monitoring then you'd need to buy a separate heart rate monitor to pair up to the bike computer. Starts getting a bit pricey then.

If you want to attach your phone, Quadlock seem to be the go-to brand. Using a phone as a bike computer has its downsides tho. I've been on a ride where a bump in the road has caused my mates phone to jump out of the mount and smash of the floor.

I’m pretty set on not getting a bike computer. I’m not sure I’m that serious yet, or ever will be. I do like the idea of using a phone since it’s a nice half way house. Just been looking an quad lock on amazon and it seems fairly good value and reviews are very good.

I like heart rate tracking and that would be a big miss for me. I’m slowly getting fitter and it’s a nice way to track that. Plus in wider life the sleep tracking is a god send.

Bike mounts are unnecessary unless you're using it for directions. Can't you just put your phone in a pocket?

Most cycle tops have pockets on your back and Strava works just fine for me with it in there. Alternatively I have a stem bag attached and put the phone in there along with a charging block so you can go on longer rides or stay out overnight and keep on tracking. Might want to pause if you go for a pub stop as it kills your segment times :)

I did have a seat bag, but since I got a new phone it doesn’t fit in there. I use the back pocket in my cycling jacket, but it does make me nervous and don’t wear it when it’s hot like yesterday. I’m leaning towards the quad lock as mentioned above. Seem a good compromise.

Is Strava still the best free app for tracking cycling activity (distance traveled, cycle routes, etc)?

Is Strava still the best free app for tracking cycling activity (distance traveled, cycle routes, etc)?
Yeah, I'd say so. Routing isn't going to be part of the free offering soon as well as segment leader boards, which is annoying.

I use RideWithGPS for routing as it gives turn by turn prompts on my Garmin bike computer.

I used an app/website called Komoot a while back to plot some running routes, seemed to work quite well as you could get your mode of exercise and it would allow you to plot different routes based on allowed rights of way, don't think it was entirely free though. Think it may be restricted geographically so you get one area free, maybe a county or something, and then have to pay for additional sections if you want to add them so may or not work out for you depending on how far you're going.

Was some good information on there though, gave you gradients and surface types, flagged up sections of popular routes for different activities that you could connect with wider routes and then you could track it too and add in sections that weren't on the maps for future record.

Another question! I’m currently tracking my rides using my hybrid watch - this does heart rate, time etc but using A/GPS for location, so means I have to always have my phone. That’s a pain.

I’m contemplating either upgrading my watch to one with built in GPS or getting a bike mount for my phone. Anyone have either or both? Interested to hear any thoughts.

The big downside to upgrading the watch would be the battery life I suspect, I get 3-4 weeks out of my current one.

I just sync my (fairly basic) Garmin watch to the phone by Bluetooth when I get back from a ride/paddle/run. Loads to Garmin Connect and Strava with all your stats and GPS stuff.

I just sync my (fairly basic) Garmin watch to the phone by Bluetooth when I get back from a ride/paddle/run. Loads to Garmin Connect and Strava with all your stats and GPS stuff.

Yes that was my alternative - my watch doesn't have GPS, it uses the GPS on my phone, so would need a different watch to do as you do. Its the pay off of battery life I guess.

Yes that was my alternative - my watch doesn't have GPS, it uses the GPS on my phone, so would need a different watch to do as you do. Its the pay off of battery life I guess.

You can get older but perfectly good Garmins pretty cheaply on eBay. Mine's a Forerunner 35. Does everything I need.

I used an app/website called Komoot a while back to plot some running routes, seemed to work quite well as you could get your mode of exercise and it would allow you to plot different routes based on allowed rights of way, don't think it was entirely free though. Think it may be restricted geographically so you get one area free, maybe a county or something, and then have to pay for additional sections if you want to add them so may or not work out for you depending on how far you're going.

Was some good information on there though, gave you gradients and surface types, flagged up sections of popular routes for different activities that you could connect with wider routes and then you could track it too and add in sections that weren't on the maps for future record.

Yeah, a couple of guys in the cycling group use Komoot. I couldn't get my head around the subscription model and there was no way to export the route once I'd created it without paying. If you have a newish Garmin or Wahoo bike computer it can sync automatically I believe, but my Garmin is old school and needs stuff transferring to and from it manually. In that instance I couldn't really get Komoot to work for me.

I’m pretty set on not getting a bike computer. I’m not sure I’m that serious yet, or ever will be. I do like the idea of using a phone since it’s a nice half way house. Just been looking an quad lock on amazon and it seems fairly good value and reviews are very good.

I like heart rate tracking and that would be a big miss for me. I’m slowly getting fitter and it’s a nice way to track that. Plus in wider life the sleep tracking is a god send.

I did have a seat bag, but since I got a new phone it doesn’t fit in there. I use the back pocket in my cycling jacket, but it does make me nervous and don’t wear it when it’s hot like yesterday. I’m leaning towards the quad lock as mentioned above. Seem a good compromise.

Seat bags are rubbish in my experience. The stem bag sits just behind your bars, should be waterproof and have enough space for tyre levers, an inner tube and co2 cannister at a minimum.

I got mine for a tenner from planet X.

Back