• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Velotard Thread.

Yeah, I'd query if they put a cassette with ore gears on it, or if this new one has a wider range. I've got 11-32 on mine because I like going fast and am shit at going up hills, whereas one could have 11-25 for the same number of gears.

I hope LJ reads your tip about recalibration before he sets off, Machin, for it would be terrible if he got stuck in high gear on the big ring and have to get up a stiff climb on the way home...

Wouldn't it just! :icon_lol:

You don't need that one!

It will be you limit screw that needs adjusting. Search on GCN's YouTube channel for front derailleur setup videos. All you'll need is a screwdriver and maybe an Allen key to tighten the cable in the clamp.

I don't tend to use it tbh, but when the chain slipped before I had it replaced found it helped with steep climbs.
I'll have a look at fixing it after this week is done, as it is dark when I get home. I'll spend sat/sun youtubing various videos, and hopefully opening a package from wiggle...

Yeah, I'd query if they put a cassette with ore gears on it, or if this new one has a wider range. I've got 11-32 on mine because I like going fast and am shit at going up hills, whereas one could have 11-25 for the same number of gears.

I hope LJ reads your tip about recalibration before he sets off, Machin, for it would be terrible if he got stuck in high gear on the big ring and have to get up a stiff climb on the way home...

Journey to previous place of work on crap bike#1 had a hil I couldn't manage, despite all gear changes. I used to get off and push.
Been considering going to see if new superbike would make it.

Oooh, what you got from Wiggle?

I'll have a look at fixing it after this week is done, as it is dark when I get home. I'll spend sat/sun youtubing various videos, try to follow the instructions but resort to beating the fucker into submission with a length of scaffolding pole and a hammer.

Oooh, what you got from Wiggle?
Wombat suggested the following. I really couldn't afford everything just yet, so ordered some of these. Can't remember what I omitted other than the brush set.

Oh, & wombat has clearly seen me trying to do anything mechanical :icon_lol:

Cleaning one's bike is very underrated: I get great satisfaction from getting all the muck off and restoring it (particularly the cassette) to as near as new-looking as I can get.

My Serious Cycling mate swears by keeping the chain dry and clean between rides and just a spray of WD40 before a ride. I've seen his bikes and they are always pristine.

See, I was told never to use WD40 as it turns into what amounts to grinding paste (fnarr?). I clean my bike every couple of weeks if the weather's dry, or as soon as possible if it's wet or muddy, as it was last weekend: I start by cleaning the drive train with product and brushes, rinse it off, quick dab dry, then degrease it with spray-on degreaser, running the chain through a disposable cloth until it comes up clean, then onto the bike itself with bike cleaner, brush and water. Sometimes two applications of cleaning product. Then a dry-down with a microfibre cloth, some bike spray, lube the chain according to the weather conditions, and finally clean the rims with a dry cloth as the filth they can pick up (and thus impair the fairly important stopping bit of cycling) is quite surprising. About 45 minutes working time on average.

WD40 is a solvent and water dispersant hence the name,(it was the 40th attempt at finding a water dispersant) it's got a bit of lubricant in it,but not enough to keep chains lubed,good for protection after washing,spray on the cassette,front and rear mechs and squeaky door hinges

I'd read/been told similar, but but he's one of those weirdos who goes over to Europe and does the TdF stages for pleasure on a regular basis and it seems to work for him.

And - major fnarr alert - since I've been following his advice and lubing up with WD40 regularly, my ride has never been smoother and my equipment never cleaner. I no longer really do any serious mileage though.

See, I was told never to use WD40 as it turns into what amounts to grinding paste (fnarr?). I clean my bike every couple of weeks if the weather's dry, or as soon as possible if it's wet or muddy, as it was last weekend: I start by cleaning the drive train with product and brushes, rinse it off, quick dab dry, then degrease it with spray-on degreaser, running the chain through a disposable cloth until it comes up clean, then onto the bike itself with bike cleaner, brush and water. Sometimes two applications of cleaning product. Then a dry-down with a microfibre cloth, some bike spray, lube the chain according to the weather conditions, and finally clean the rims with a dry cloth as the filth they can pick up (and thus impair the fairly important stopping bit of cycling) is quite surprising. About 45 minutes working time on average.

I was also told the other day not to use wd40. Prior to then, I was using it once a week. I do know 1 serious cyclist who uses wd40 and a rag weekly and swears by it.

The rest of wombats post is surely a bit ocd though, no?

I find using lube products like Finish Line increases the amount of muck that sticks to my chain.

My old crap bikes I did nothing to. Never had to replace the chain, cassette or anything!

I find using lube products like Finish Line increases the amount of muck that sticks to my chain.
Yeah, too much lube can do that. You need to wipe of the excess before going for a ride.
Fnaar intentional....

I do know 1 serious cyclist who uses wd40 and a rag weekly and swears by it.

I bet he does, he goes "Why the fuck has my expensive groupset gone to shit already? - I only bathed it in WD40 a few days ago,"

The rest of wombats post is surely a bit ocd though, no?

Not if you want to get the best out of your bike and make it last, no. Especially when you're paying £700+ for a groupset alone, let alone the cost of the frame, saddle and fitting. What a silly question, you flopping ocelot's foreskin.

First ride of 2018 yesterday. Fucking hell, it was emotional. An absolute thundercunting bastard of a headwind to the extent that at times I felt as if I was barely moving. Still, plenty of Strava PRs though.

Cycling to/from work last week was tough business.
Took it slowly this morning, owing to the frost. Twas blooming cold!
Someone got me a speedo thing for my bike (i hear all your strava stuff, and remind you I'm a luddite, and strava creates stalkers). Finding my average speed is between 15-20 mph.

Not made it out yet, although I'll be commuting tomorrow. So that'll be nice and chilly..... :/

Back