• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Velotard Thread.

How easy is it put a back wheel back on a bike? Bearing in mind I am someone who panics at the thought of any sort of bike repair.

When I got my bike out of the garage this morning the back wheel has come loose. It was dark and I was in a rush to get the kids to school so I couldn't really take a proper look at it but I am hoping that the lever that locks the wheel on has come up which meant the wheel came loose. I'll look at it properly when I get home but if it involves me having to do anything with the derailleur or the chain then I'll be in trouble!

How easy is it put a back wheel back on a bike? Bearing in mind I am someone who panics at the thought of any sort of bike repair.

When I got my bike out of the garage this morning the back wheel has come loose. It was dark and I was in a rush to get the kids to school so I couldn't really take a proper look at it but I am hoping that the lever that locks the wheel on has come up which meant the wheel came loose. I'll look at it properly when I get home but if it involves me having to do anything with the derailleur or the chain then I'll be in trouble!
Tricky to say without seeing it, unusual to just 'come loose'
Keef is your man.

Yes, difficult to say. If it was ok when you put it away it’s a bit odd and maybe the quick release lever has been knocked, although that would’ve had to have been pretty loose anyway to allow that to happen.

If the spindle is securely locked into the frame but the wheel itself is moving/wobbling on the spindle then you’re into cone adjustment for relatively small amounts of moment, or something worn/broken if the movement is quite big.

You can have quite a bit of play on the cones before realising something is wrong, but for it to suddenly be as noticeable as that it’s hopefully just a case of a quick half turn to tighten and then lock the lever on the quick release. As has been said Keef is the daddy but YouTube is brill for that sort of thing too.

Edit: There’s a couple of YT vids showing the ideal position of the lever - it makes sense that if you’re riding and the lever gets a whack on something the lever gets forced closed not suddenly flung open! Seems obvious now but I had no idea 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I’m sure it was fine when I put it away last night so I can only think I’ve knocked the lever somehow.

I’ll look at it properly when I get home to see if I can sort it. Failing that, I’ll have to get Dick Van Bike (mobile bike bloke) round to sort it. I could probably do with getting it serviced anyway.

If it's got a quick release then it's possible that was knocked open as you were moving the bike. If it's that just make sure the wheel is centred and straight then tighten it back up using the lever.

If the quick release lever is already closed then the nut on the other side will need tightening up, which can be done by hand. I would loosen the lever first before tightening the nut on the opposite side, then close the lever again - you may have to loosen the bolt in order to reclose the lever, but you'll work that out!

you've already had better advice than I could give t-dan, but I feel your pain. Had a puncture on the way to work in dec. came home and had to try to fix it, and had all your concerns as I have no faith in my abilities. I was pleasantly surprised to get the wheel off, and inner tube out during half time of a match. It's actually a lot more straightforward/designed to be easier for novices like us to be able to do nowadays!

I managed to get the wheel locked back in last night and it stayed on while I was cycling this morning which was good!

I'm not sure how the lever on one side and the nut on the other came so loose but it seems to be sorted now. Thanks.

Did the deed and picked the bike up Monday:

DB811E56-A009-496E-B297-598489B0E4CD.jpeg

First ride today over to the infamous Box Hill and back:

5AAAB8E9-87D2-4690-99C0-3ECE2F2846F8.jpeg

Tried getting away with the factory fit front mudguard but definitely going to retro fit the mudrocker from the old one!

2DAD5959-BD83-408E-9AA3-85AC99520B74.jpeg

Good fun tho’. Knackering in the mud but good fun all the same.

Bike cleaning? Or more specifically, the final chain lube after cleaning?

So the cleaning itself is no problem, cleaning up and degreasing etc the chain is no problem, but what to do/use on the bike after the clean and before you put it away? Currently spraying a bit of WD on the drive chain, then a bit of 3 in 1 oil when getting it out before a ride.

Seems to work ‘ok’ but feels a bit basic and would like to do more, especially as occasionally you see early spots of rust on the chain. Some people suggest silicone sprays but I guess that would be on the rest of the bike generally, not on the brakes of course and not much use on the drive chain? What are you guys using?

8F690CAE-FED7-4CA6-BF7C-5C5B2424A21F.jpegEF3CB48F-7028-41C0-9B77-AB7C131D31FF.jpeg

The weldtite all weather lube is good enough, ( buy it from Wilko for 1/3 price of Halfords, it’s just branded Wilko, exactly the same stuff though) it’s what we used at Halfords for chains and as a lube to stop squeaking
Myself I use green oil ( green-oil.net) , bit more expensive 100% environmentally friendly, recycled bottles, smells nice and when you’ve used it all, send it back, they refill it and send it back to you, makes me feel I’m doing my little bit to save the planet.
Muc off gets good reviews, I like their bottles, just not keen on the actual lube, seems to clog and get lumpy sometimes.
Some people rave about chain wax.
Not treating you like you’re thick ( even though it looks like I am) , go watch a couple of you tube videos on how to lube a chain, you don’t need a lot of oil, and there’s a knack to doing it.

The weldtite all weather lube is good enough, ( buy it from Wilko for 1/3 price of Halfords, it’s just branded Wilko, exactly the same stuff though) it’s what we used at Halfords for chains and as a lube to stop squeaking
Myself I use green oil ( green-oil.net) , bit more expensive 100% environmentally friendly, recycled bottles, smells nice and when you’ve used it all, send it back, they refill it and send it back to you, makes me feel I’m doing my little bit to save the planet.
Muc off gets good reviews, I like their bottles, just not keen on the actual lube, seems to clog and get lumpy sometimes.
Some people rave about chain wax.
Not treating you like you’re thick ( even though it looks like I am) , go watch a couple of you tube videos on how to lube a chain, you don’t need a lot of oil, and there’s a knack to doing it.

Thanks for that.
I had a shufti on YouTube and it all helps. I’ll nip into Wilko tomorrow, that all weather lube sounds the way to go 👍

Squirt lube is my favourite

Not sure if anyone is considering buying an ebike but on a motorcycle youtube channel I follow, the guy has made a video with a link to a discount code.
Channel is called Missenden Flyer..cyrusher xf900.

I am having a debate about getting one, though in reality suspect it will take me a year or 2 to make a decision. I am terrible at making decisions!

Only ever ridden the hire e-bikes which have been really good, but some of those off-road e-bikes are the absolute business. I ride with 3 different off-road clubs and a couple of them are old-skool road cycling clubs that developed a majority off-road membership who can be a bit sniffly condescending about e-bikes. To be honest I think that’s unfair and a bit out of order.

The third group is called Bike 50, much more social, and the majority are on e-bikes. Absolutely fantastic things that enable all ages to hammer up and down trails getting muddy and behaving like teenagers all over again. Was always a bit suspicious about the e-bikes previously thinking they’d make people lazy and take that ‘easy’ option too early, but it’s quite the opposite - they seem to just bring a lot of fun to people who would otherwise not join a club or be able to keep up in the beginning, and really extend the riding years for those who start to slow down a bit and perhaps can’t manage the big climbs.

I guess it depends on the budget and use but there does appear a good few options out there now. Some of them can cost a right few quid but from what I can see the right bike in the right circumstances is well worth every penny.

Back