• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Velotard Thread.

I’d go freehub issue ( bit the cassette fits on) could just need taking off and cleaning where the pawls fit ( bit that turns the freehub and makes the clicking noise when you coast) grease could have solidified and stopping pawls clicking.
Could also just be knackered and need replacing.

i think so yes. just not driving the back wheel round.
When I was a nipper I had a similar problem with a new bike I was given for Christmas except that the problem was intermittent. The amount of times it would just go when I was pedalling and cause me harm still makes me wince now. It should have gone back to the shop under warranty but as a kid I was worried that I'd somehow caused the fault. I should really secretly DNA my kids thinking back to the area that used to get hurt.

is it something that a novice/idiot like me can fix?
will have a youtube look at videos now, before keef recommends that ;)

When I was a nipper I had a similar problem with a new bike I was given for Christmas except that the problem was intermittent. The amount of times it would just go when I was pedalling and cause me harm still makes me wince now. It should have gone back to the shop under warranty but as a kid I was worried that I'd somehow caused the fault. I should really secretly DNA my kids thinking back to the area that used to get hurt.

Yep, although I thought that was the cassette itself. Once that started slipping as you were in trouble. Seemed to first start when under load which made pulling out of a junction for example very dangerous, and getting off the saddle to power uphill meant you were only one slip from wiping out the family allowance on the crossbar.

Sounds like LJ’s was a sudden catastrophic failure tho…. so 🤷‍♂️

I’d go freehub issue ( bit the cassette fits on) could just need taking off and cleaning where the pawls fit ( bit that turns the freehub and makes the clicking noise when you coast) grease could have solidified and stopping pawls clicking.
Could also just be knackered and need replacing.

Funnily enough just had a new free hub fitted under warranty on the Merida. The cassette came loose twice and the guys in the shop torqued it up properly and it came loose again. Shimano took the wheel back for examination and a new freehub was fitted.

The bike was away for about 2 weeks but was just relieved it was sorted without any arguments. You sort of know you should support your local shops more and not just default to online, but buying locally was a godsend this time.

Probike kit, closing, may be bargains to be had at some point.
Probikekit.co.uk

So on pushing the bike home yesterday, decided to freewheel down the hills at least. 1st was on campus, & kept momentum to get to a 2nd, shorter downhill. As that changed to an uphill, & momentum was falling, instinctively pedalled.
& the bike moved. So was able to cycle all the way home.
Wtf?
🤷‍♂️

So on pushing the bike home yesterday, decided to freewheel down the hills at least. 1st was on campus, & kept momentum to get to a 2nd, shorter downhill. As that changed to an uphill, & momentum was falling, instinctively pedalled.
& the bike moved. So was able to cycle all the way home.
Wtf?
🤷‍♂️
Be careful as you’ll injure yourself if it happens again whilst off saddle pedalling.

Yeah, back at work next week. Hoping the cycle repair shop is open. If not, just crossing my fingers I can get through the week till the week after.

Cold yesterday but a still good few riders out being the weekend.

Found this pub which has set itself up to be accommodating to cyclists and the place is always busy apparently. Clubs and individuals from miles around hooking up. Can imagine it will be rammed today being much warmer. I guess there has to be a sizeable cycling fraternity to tap into but it would be good to see a few more places going the same route. Noticable the off-roaders are beginning to outnumber the roadies, but fair play to all for getting out, whatever floats your boat.

Could do with a few more places like this, helps make the ride a social thing too which encourages the less keen to get out and about.

4C51E48B-4ED8-44F6-91B9-9C3FEF7C34E8.jpeg

Global cycling gear.com/wanderers.

Nowt to do with me came up in my Facebook feedIMG_0772.jpeg

Global cycling gear.com/wanderers.

Nowt to do with me came up in my Facebook feedView attachment 7271
Speaking to a mate that runs a bike shop. Price-wise it’s cheap but for a reason. Expect it to fall apart and a sore arse incoming as the gels in the chamois are lesser quality. Shame really.

Speaking to a mate that runs a bike shop. Price-wise it’s cheap but for a reason. Expect it to fall apart and a sore arse incoming as the gels in the chamois are lesser quality. Shame really.
It's a myth that more expensive = better quality.

Often it's the seams and panels which increase the expense as well as the weight of the material.

As far as I know there is no gel in a Chamois it's all foam with anti microbial (silver) additive.

Think your mate knows fuck all about bike clothing tbh.

It's a myth that more expensive = better quality.

Often it's the seams and panels which increase the expense as well as the weight of the material.

As far as I know there is no gel in a Chamois it's all foam with anti microbial (silver) additive.

Think your mate knows fuck all about bike clothing tbh.
My recently purchased Aldi cycling jersey wants to chat...

Back