• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Velotard Thread.

Birmingham centre is particularly shit for cycling in. It's so car-centric it's an impossible job to change it.

Who cycles for fun in busy cities?
I meant in general it’s shit and dangerous. Cycling for enjoyment on a Sunday morning is very difficult to cycling to work on a weekday morning. It’s a shite state of affairs.

Birmingham centre is particularly shit for cycling in. It's so car-centric it's an impossible job to change it.
I feel they're too cautious in implementing changes in Birmingham. Too many concessions keep being made to continue car dominance.

Agree, & Birmingham doesn't have a viable ring road system either. So much of the road network in Birmingham is just queues of vehicles for most of the day.

I spent a year as a cycle courier around Brum city centre a long time ago.

Really enjoyed it but it was dangerous. That was part of the fun.

Van moof bikes has gone bump, it’s announced bankruptcy, people with bikes in dealers can collect them, same for repairs, no new bikes being shipped, parts may be available, may not.
E-bikes may not work, that’s dependent on software, some may work, some may not, the tracking app for the bikes if they were stolen doesn’t work now, stopped immediately, owners been told buy another bike lock.
They are looking for a buyer.

So... I need to buy a good reliable hardtail mountain bike. Nothing too fancy and won't do any serious off roading but needs to be tough. Any suggestions where and what?

Someone in one of the clubs I ride with asked a very similar question recently. It got a bit confusing as there was an awful lot of willy-waving and obsessing over detail which could potentially add 100’s of pounds unnecessarily to the purchase price. It’s easy to get carried away with other peoples money!

I didn’t get involved in that debate but observing it and looking at what other people are riding, the standouts would be (sorry if stating the obvious) set a budget and then look at the offerings from typical players within it. Across 3 clubs there are quite a lot of Specialized, Treks, a few Cannondales, a couple of Meridas and a load of weird niche stuff, but the brand that seems most popular by headcount and very highly regarded whilst representing decent value for money appears to be Scott. A couple of guys ride Whyte’s without any issues which I think are in a more friendly price bracket still. I wouldn’t say any of the riders have bikes from brands which are noticeably more robust than any of the others so it’s pretty much you pays your money you takes your choice.

Personally I’d dig around on the net for a retailer that might still have some 2022 stock of something from the above and capitalise on any substantial discount rather than a specific bike itself, but that’s not always easily done when your heart is set on something.

I know that’s all a bit vague but the guy that asked the original question ended up with as many questions himself as he got answers. In the end though he went for a Scott Scale (not sure on the spec or price exactly) but it’s a lovely bike. He’s happy which in the end is all that matters.

Not sure if that helps but happy hunting!

IMG_1704.jpeg

Someone in one of the clubs I ride with asked a very similar question recently. It got a bit confusing as there was an awful lot of willy-waving and obsessing over detail which could potentially add 100’s of pounds unnecessarily to the purchase price. It’s easy to get carried away with other peoples money!

I didn’t get involved in that debate but observing it and looking at what other people are riding, the standouts would be (sorry if stating the obvious) set a budget and then look at the offerings from typical players within it. Across 3 clubs there are quite a lot of Specialized, Treks, a few Cannondales, a couple of Meridas and a load of weird niche stuff, but the brand that seems most popular by headcount and very highly regarded whilst seemingly representing decent value for money appears to be Scott. A couple of guys ride Whyte’s without any issues which I think are in a more friendly price bracket still. I wouldn’t say any of the riders have bikes from brands which are noticeably more robust than any of the others so it’s pretty much you pays your money you takes your choice.

Personally I’d dig around on the net for a retailer that might still have some 2022 stock of something from the above and capitalise on any substantial discount rather than a specific bike itself, but that’s not always easily done when your heart is set on something.

I know that’s all a bit vague but the guy that asked the original question ended up with as many questions himself as he got answers. In the end though he went for a Scott Scale (not sure on the spec or price exactly) but it’s a lovely bike. He’s happy which in the end is all that matters.

Not sure if that helps but happy hunting!

View attachment 7934
That's very helpful, thanks.

Second hand an option? Facebook Marketplace is awash with great deals. Even join some of the groups if you want to avoid too much noise.

Second hand an option? Facebook Marketplace is awash with great deals. Even join some of the groups if you want to avoid too much noise.
Yep, a little bit wary though as I don't know what's nicked now!

Yeah, always check their FB profile first

The carrera stuff from Halfords is a good option for the budget minded, the range tops out around the £500 mark, it’s the shop staff that let it down, some are great, lots are terrible

Bike at work is locked up in a rack which also has a cage around it. Access via a gate with a key pad.
Had to go to an event off site. Decided to cycle there. Got to the cage & security are everywhere. Apparently someone with an angle grinder jumped into the cage & tried to nick someone else's bike.
I mean, it's a uni campus. It's week 1. There's people everywhere & all the bikes are locked up & still someone is having a go.

Those portable angle grinders have really changed the game and coupled with the audacity of the arseholes using them security is pretty much a waste of time now.

I really don’t know where we go from here. Apart from owning a nondescript bike and parking it in a mass of others and hoping you’re not picked on in a gazelle-on-a-prairie kind of way, there’s not a lot else you can do.

Bike theft is way out of hand and it really, REALLY pisses me off.

Back