• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Velotard Thread.

Those portable angle grinders have really changed the game and coupled with the audacity of the arseholes using them security is pretty much a waste of time now.

I really don’t know where we go from here. Apart from owning a nondescript bike and parking it in a mass of others and hoping you’re not picked on in a gazelle-on-a-prairie kind of way, there’s not a lot else you can do.

Bike theft is way out of hand and it really, REALLY pisses me off.
https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news...-the-thief-the-photo-and-said-this-is-my-bike

On the subject of thefts, was looking online for a cheap reliable secondhand bike replacement for the stolen one of my wife’s and threw out a couple of messages to sellers of two bikes that were up for sale locally.

The first one was a virtually brand new, unused lockdown purchase that was realistically way too good for the needs and outside of the budget anyway, and the other a bit older but but very good value but annoyingly tantalisingly attractive to a thief too.

In the end decided to bite the bullet and seize the opportunity while it was there. What a state of affairs when you decide to buy both to cover your arses so when replacement No 1 gets nicked you’re ready with the reserve to step up to the plate.

Now got to joust with which one to use, and for which leg of the journey and where to leave it. No wonder so many people are just giving up and paying big money for the Brompton’s which are taken right from the apartment into office and never let out of sight for a second. That’s manageable if you’ve the means to protect yourself in that way but for everyone else it’s a depressing misery.

What a frankly ridiculous situation and still can hardly believe it’s come to this.

Last edited:
agreed. for 5 years i had my own office, and the bike was in there with me. as well as the security, it also meant the bike was protected from the elements.
fast forward to post covid, and employer has "rationalised" space and I am in a shared office. used to take the bike in there. someone who used to cycle occasionally, but left there bike in that old office didn't like it, because management moaned at them for always leaving their bike in the office for weeks/months on end. so manager moaned at me.

mrs jelly bought me a unicycle years ago. perhaps i ought learn how to ride that properly, and use that instead, like a brompton...

On the subject of thefts, was looking online for a cheap reliable secondhand bike replacement for the stolen one of my wife’s and threw out a couple of messages to sellers of two bikes that were up for sale locally.

The first one was a virtually brand new, unused lockdown purchase that was realistically way too good for the needs and outside of the budget anyway, and the other a bit older but but very good value but annoyingly tantalisingly attractive to a thief too.

In the end decided to bite the bullet and seize the opportunity while it was there. What a state of affairs when you decide to buy both to cover your arses so when replacement No 1 gets nicked you’re ready with the reserve to step up to the plate.

Now got to joust with which one to use, and for which leg of the journey and where to leave it. No wonder so many people are just giving up and paying big money for the Brompton’s which are taken right from the apartment into office and never let out of sight for a second. That’s manageable if you’ve the means to protect yourself in that way but for everyone else it’s a depressing misery.

What a frankly ridiculous situation and still can hardly believe it’s come to this.

The Halfords folding bikes are meant to be really good. Hydraulic disk brakes, responsive handling, relatively light etc. All for less than half the price of a Brompton.

My circumstances are due to change in the next 6 months which will probably mean daily commuting by train. Definitely will be investing in a folding bike to complete the journey at both ends and the Halfords ones are top of the list as it stands.

The Halfords folding bikes are meant to be really good. Hydraulic disk brakes, responsive handling, relatively light etc. All for less than half the price of a Brompton.

My circumstances are due to change in the next 6 months which will probably mean daily commuting by train. Definitely will be investing in a folding bike to complete the journey at both ends and the Halfords ones are top of the list as it stands.
nice tip! just had a very quick gander at their website, and they're even selling 2nd hand folding e-bikes, and they're eligible for cycle to work schemes. This may become very interesting to me.

A subject that’s been touched on before on here, but was back in Cambridge the other day and had to cross the shocking 2.2 million pound vanity project which is the Dutch-style roundabout.

Lots of rumours the thing is going to be dug up, but it’s something of a political hot potato and a tricky one for Cambridge Council and the Cambridge Cycling Campaign to navigate their way out of (no pun intended). It’s under review for the time being:

So 3 years on we’ve learned there’s 2.2 million pounds flushed down the toilet to build a roundabout that is more dangerous than what was there before. Anyone that used it on the first day could’ve predicted that one.

Not a great outcome unfortunately.

A subject that’s been touched on before on here, but was back in Cambridge the other day and had to cross the shocking 2.2 million pound vanity project which is the Dutch-style roundabout.

Lots of rumours the thing is going to be dug up, but it’s something of a political hot potato and a tricky one for Cambridge Council and the Cambridge Cycling Campaign to navigate their way out of (no pun intended). It’s under review for the time being:

So 3 years on we’ve learned there’s 2.2 million pounds flushed down the toilet to build a roundabout that is more dangerous than what was there before. Anyone that used it on the first day could’ve predicted that one.

Not a great outcome unfortunately.
It won't be dug up in the near future as the council have just cancelled a load of transport infrastructure projects due to lack of cash.

Wiggle/chain reaction parent company is struggling money wise, says it’s looking at selling or even shutting underperforming parts of the business, the bit in its portfolio that’s struggling is cycling, can’t see wiggle going bump but bigger bike businesses have gone before now.

Rumours abound that wiggle CRC going into administration tomorrow, suppliers pulling unpaid for stock out their warehouse

Rumours abound that wiggle CRC going into administration tomorrow, suppliers pulling unpaid for stock out their warehouse
A lot of local people gonna be losing their jobs from the warehouse too I guess 🙁

Around 100 I’d guess, Frasers group looking to buy it ( that’s Mike Ashley sports direct) fit nicely with evans cycles

Islabikes have announced that when their current stock is sold, they’ll be stopping building bikes and offering support for their bikes only, owners said it’s not profitable to keep going due to rising costs in everything.
Think that’s been coming for a year or so, I applied as a bike builder at the Ludlow factory, had a phone call off the boss saying thanks for applying, but they’ve realised the only way forward is to downsize the factory, and sorry for messing me about, which I thought was a nice touch

That's a real shame. Great bikes and excellent service when we bought one a few years ago. Theyre in a lovely part of the world too.

It’s official, wiggle/crc in administration and up for sale

How long do people's bike locks usually last?
Mrs jelly got me a decent one & it has served me well. Plastic casing came off this year. Bodge jobbed a repair. However now the lock is sticking which is a mega pain. Needs wiggling to get it to lock/unlock sometimes. It's getting worse I suspect & the fear is being at work & unable to unlock it to get home resulting in a long walk.

Do you need to carry it around or do you leave it at work?

If it’s stiff but working I’d be surprised if anything is worn, so give it a really good going over with WD40 and see if that does the trick. The rain tends to get in and seize them up so it’s good to do that regularly anyway.

I like to go round the house blasting the door locks, handles etc. It’s weirdly satisfying the big difference it makes.

Chain lube or thin oil on the lock will be better, WD can make it worse by solidifying? Dunno if that’s spelt right.
Oil the lock and work it a couple of times with the key, if it’s a U lock do the locking bits in the body as well

Back