• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Velotard Thread.

Even though they’re in administration I’ve just bought a bike off wiggle, yea I know, feel free to point and laugh when it goes wrong, was too good a deal tbh, should be £549 on offer at £179, it’s just a basic disc braked commuter bike nothing flash.
Just have to see whether it turns up, in what condition and how ready to ride it is ( supposed to be turn and tighten bars, fit pedals and go) I’ll be spending 1/2 hour or so with it in a workstand going through it with a torque wrench checking every bolt and checking the gears and brakes work before I ride it

Desperately need some neoprene overshoes for winter and the savings at Chain Reaction were too tempting to resist so went for it. Even whacked in £5.99 for next day delivery so will soon find out how smart or stupid that has been. Gambled on two sets of Nukeproof pedals which at £15.99 each were too good to miss. (Yeah, I know).

Browsing some of those bike deals though, wow. A quick google of a few catching the eye shows they’re being offered brand new at below what they’re up for on second hand sites. Assuming you’ve got some protection with a credit card then could be worth a punt. Some amazing deals.

Update on the bike,

It arrived, opened the box quick look inside seems to be all there, well wrapped I’ll find out whether it’s all there when I build it, didn’t look that ready to ride if I’m honest

Real shame. I remember my first Cycloc installation in our old terraced house and the (genuinely) three separate trips to the same sales advisor at B&Q in a day: big wall anchor bolts > big drill bit > Polyfilla. By the time I’d finished the Cycloc was holding the place together.

Al no fault of the folks at Cycloc I should add.

Chain Reaction delivery arrived next day as requested.
Wish I could justify one of those heavily discounted Nukeproof bikes now.

Chain Reaction delivery arrived next day as requested.
Wish I could justify one of those heavily discounted Nukeproof bikes now.
Your Merida is knackered, that’s justification for you, go on, you know you want to

Fair enough, it’s a silly idea, but you know you want to, and your Merida is knackered

Fair enough, it’s a silly idea, but you know you want to, and your Merida is knackered

Always loved these. Currently on sale on second hand sites for more than the new price here.

Running on tubeless 29’s with Rockshox, a hell of a lot of bike for the money. Love the crazy full suss Nukeproofs at serious discounts too but that really is silly money to park into a bike you don’t really need.

Anyway, very tempted to hit the go button, what do you reckon old chap?

Decent spec on it, quite like the colour, 50% off oh hang on I’m supposed to say it’s a pile of junk stay away from it at this point so you don’t feel tempted to buy it aren’t I?

Nooo, I was genuinely interested in your opinion.

As mentioned previously there is so much Willy waving in the clubs you’d never get an impartial and balanced opinion about anything. Unless it’s ultra lightweight this or ultra high cost that then people are always telling you what you’ve done wrong and what you should’ve bought instead.

I figured that bike was a particularly good buy, with a decent spec from a desirable brand that I’ve always had a weakness for. I will have a need for a summer hardtail so all-in-all it does stack up beyond the foolishness of an impulse purchase.

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated. I’ll sleep on this and let the emotional draw of two large glasses of wine wear off and make a decision tomorrow 👍

I like mine but have just been unlucky I think. The cassette thing was an issue with the shop failing to diagnose properly thinking it was the hub/wheel when it was a faulty cassette. The bottom bracket lasting less than a year is a bigger concern, although that is a Shimano component that’s fitted to zillions of bikes. Shimano have asked to look at it (presumably because it’s quite rare to fail so quickly) and will fingers crossed replace under warranty.

I overall happy with mine and lots of other riders seem ok with theirs too. One surprising thing I learned pretty quickly though is that there’s no guarantee of durability by spending more money - anecdotally, those paying more for their bikes initially just end up paying even more in ongoing costs. I think it’s best to keep it simple and whilst making sure the bike does meet your fundamental needs, anything more than that just tends to become an expensive vanity.

Mine is a stop gap to keep me going for a few months while I decide what I want and save up for it next year.

Bike shop phones today to say Shimano have examined the bottom bracket and are not replacing it under warranty as it’s deemed fair wear and tear. 10 months! I mistakenly thought the warranty was with the shop but it’s with the component manufacturer and they just raise a claim on your behalf. Turns out I’d be paying labour regardless.

Anyway, the shop agreed to just stick it back in and I’ll just take it away no charge. Will get one of the mechanically minded club riders to fit a new one which will hopefully keep costs down. Talking to some of them a bb knackered within a year is a bit unlucky but certainly not uncommon. I dunno, you expect ongoing costs but a critical component like that failing in that kind of time seems a bit much to me.

Get where you're coming from. Years ago, aside from repairing punctures I didn't have to do anything to my bike & I certainly didn't replace as many parts as frequently. & I take care of my bike now more than ever before!

Your Merida is knackered, that’s justification for you, go on, you know you want to

Ordered.

Didn't need too much persuading in the end but the little nudge tipped the scales.
Planning on putting some smooth-ish tyres on that and using it just as a spring-to-autumn dry-trail hardtail.

Chain Reaction site does warn of supply chain issues and the possibility that different components might be used but in such an event alternatives will always be upgrades.

Expected delivery early December so will have to see what happens there.

All in all really pleased and appears a stonking deal. Will be delighted if it works out, who knows, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
New bike from wiggle, basic commuter before it’s ruined with mudguards and a rack, have sorted that hanging cable, the clips were missing as alwaysView attachment 8860

Wow Keef, am loving that. What a bike and for the money you paid you got an amazing deal.

Mine showed up in box this morning so assembling now. Only thing I’m planning on changing is to low rolling resistance tyres for dry trails and urban rides so have to ask, we’re those the tyres that came with the bike or did you switch to them during the build?

Back