• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Velotard Thread.

Wow Keef, am loving that. What a bike and for the money you paid you got an amazing deal.

Mine showed up in box this morning so assembling now. Only thing I’m planning on changing is to low rolling resistance tyres for dry trails and urban rides so have to ask, we’re those the tyres that came with the bike or did you switch to them during the build?
Those tyres are standard, got some continentals tour rides to put on it, I tried to fit them yesterday but they just weren’t having it, I gave up after 90 minutes and put the standard ones back on, I’ll have another bash next day off, I need a bike that works for the commute, my other one was just hanging on, I can sort that at my leisure now.
It’s a basic 1x7 cable disc brake bike, ideal for my 20mins ride to work

As you say, perfect for your needs and you cleaned up with the deal. Looks great too and I think that’s important as well as the practicality. Those original tyres would really allow you to whip along though, must admit I do like them.

Mine’s come with Magic Mary’s which would be great for the muddy trails at this time of year, but the polar opposite of the requirements so they’ve got to go. Quite fancy some tan sidewalls (which seem to divide opinion) with a tread profile closer to yours but that’s for another day too.

IMG_1830.jpeg

My son needs a new bike - seems like there are good sales on? Any recommendations for where to look?

Usual places, Halfords, decathlon, evans, Tredz and wiggle if you want to risk it or even better your friendly local bike shop if you want to help local business

Bike together, very happy. Chain Reaction experience was very positive, you pays your money takes your chance but no complaints at all.

Different tyres and a bottle cage to be fitted and we’re good to go, although spring does feel like a long way off at the moment.

Overall, really chuffed.

IMG_7455.jpeg

My son needs a new bike - seems like there are good sales on? Any recommendations for where to look?
Not quite answering your question, but take a look at 2nd hand Frog bikes. Got a great one from FB Marketplace for about £200.

I would also recommend IslaBikes but they've just ceased trading which may affect an already inflated 2nd hand market.

the value of new bikes and equipment available through the University’s popular Cycle-to-Work scheme will rise from £3000 to £4000 on 1 January 2024.

The scheme saves employees money via a tax-saving salary sacrifice: a colleague paying the basic rate of tax would save over £1200 if claiming the new full value. Since the relaunch with Cycle Solutions in Oct 2020, over 320 colleagues have participated in the scheme.
I am getting to the stage of seriously considering an e-bike. This kinda deal is looking really tempting, esp with the potential tax implications tbh.
Any advice/recommendations, and/or has anyone used a scheme similar to this?

Always start with budget. What do you want to spend?

Always start with budget. What do you want to spend?
LOL! to be honest, haven't really got that far. More a case that I am aware, given my age, stressing my body on hills could become an issue.
In approaching 50, I feel I have to be pragmatic. I also want to be able to get home quicker if I can, as time is clearly limited.

More interested in good value, and something that will last. To an extent, it is then my responsibility to ensure I have the funds available.

Not being an expert in these matters, can you tell me why it's better to have slick tyres and seemingly the narrower the better, rather than nobbly tyres which surely would give you better grip on wet roads whilst cornering etc.
Does it require an inordinate amount of effort to pedal faster with nobbly tyres?
I saw the remark that nobbly tyres are better off road for grip and I quite get that, but surely nobbly tyres would give better grip on wet tarmac too?

Not being an expert in these matters, can you tell me why it's better to have slick tyres and seemingly the narrower the better, rather than nobbly tyres which surely would give you better grip on wet roads whilst cornering etc.
Does it require an inordinate amount of effort to pedal faster with nobbly tyres?
I saw the remark that nobbly tyres are better off road for grip and I quite get that, but surely nobbly tyres would give better grip on wet tarmac too?

Nobbly wider tyres have more rolling resistance which requires more effort for the same amount of speed. I don't think it's about wet or dry really, it's more to do with the type of terrain. Tarmac, gravel, muddy trials etc. Slicks won't grip on anything other than tarmac and the looser the off road surface the wider and nobblier you need.
Wider tyres can run at lower true pressures too to help absorb the bumps - again, not needed for tarmac. There's a sweet spot for on road riding. About 28mm wide tyres running at 75ish PSI will give you best rolling resistance and comfort for the most speed.

Last edited:
I am getting to the stage of seriously considering an e-bike. This kinda deal is looking really tempting, esp with the potential tax implications tbh.
Any advice/recommendations, and/or has anyone used a scheme similar to this?

Not really any personal experience but I know a lot of riders who use them so some anecdotal thoughts, albeit it from an off road/mountain biking perspective:

Firstly, everyone that has one thinks they are fantastic, absolutely no doubt about that. That said, there are ongoing maintenance costs which can be quite sizeable, and I think the nature of the design is such that home maintenance is not really possible even for a fairly confident ‘tinkerer’, so there’s definitely the potential for increased costs on top of the hefty outlay.

Naturally for that reason the guarantee length is critical, particularly with the battery because (unless I’m mistaken) the bike is effectively finished once the battery is kaput, so a bit like an electric car on lease you’re buying yourself peace of mind for a period of time. You might find yourself on the painful cycle of upgrading again and again but that seems to be the way with electric transport regardless. I don’t know anything about the schemes you’re referring to but if there’s an opportunity to capitalise then it’s certainly got to be worth looking at.

One last thing, in the clubs there is a lot of excitement about the new generation with smaller, lighter motors. These mean the bikes are much easier to throw around on jumps and trails and are now really pulling in the younger riders that want to go harder and faster without compromising on the centre of gravity balance. Wouldn’t necessarily be an issue on a commute to work but I thought that was interesting and a sign of real progress nonetheless.

Hope that makes some sort of sense!

Off road we tend to switch tyres between winter and summer. As machin says the rolling resistance on treads makes a huge difference. On the winter tyres most people even reduce the pressure down to 30-35 psi to maximise the contact area, but to be brutally frank, that makes pedalling really, really hard fucking work. I keep my pressures at 50psi all year (which is exceptionally high and much frowned upon) but on a full suspension bike I let that take the edge off the jarring and capitalise on the reduced resistance.

As for tyres on wet roads, unless I’m mistaken the tread is only there for water dispersal, not grip. As with a racing car, if the roads were always dry you would always have slicks with no need for tread. A thinner slick would reduce rolling resistance but a fatter slick would improve slip on braking, acceleration and cornering. The tread allows the tyre to cut through standing water, allowing it to disperse through the channels and maintain contact with the road, thus avoiding aqua planning, hence the need for a legal minimum tread depth on a motor vehicle.

All about intended purpose and striking a compromise I suppose. Anyway, I think that about right but to be fair, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility to be complete bollocks 😀

Not really any personal experience but I know a lot of riders who use them so some anecdotal thoughts, albeit it from an off road/mountain biking perspective:

Firstly, everyone that has one thinks they are fantastic, absolutely no doubt about that. That said, there are ongoing maintenance costs which can be quite sizeable, and I think the nature of the design is such that home maintenance is not really possible even for a fairly confident ‘tinkerer’, so there’s definitely the potential for increased costs on top of the hefty outlay.

Naturally for that reason the guarantee length is critical, particularly with the battery because (unless I’m mistaken) the bike is effectively finished once the battery is kaput, so a bit like an electric car on lease you’re buying yourself peace of mind for a period of time. You might find yourself on the painful cycle of upgrading again and again but that seems to be the way with electric transport regardless. I don’t know anything about the schemes you’re referring to but if there’s an opportunity to capitalise then it’s certainly got to be worth looking at.

One last thing, in the clubs there is a lot of excitement about the new generation with smaller, lighter motors. These mean the bikes are much easier to throw around on jumps and trails and are now really pulling in the younger riders that want to go harder and faster without compromising on the centre of gravity balance. Wouldn’t necessarily be an issue on a commute to work but I thought that was interesting and a sign of real progress nonetheless.

Hope that makes some sort of sense!
Appreciate this mate!
Agree with your key issue on the battery/ guarantee issue. Indeed in seeing the growth of "pre-loved" e-bikes & foldable e-bikes this is exactly what I have been picking up.
I am not a tinkerer either, & that's worth considering as I'd be reliant for work (with the bike as a back up I guess).

Can’t help much with the Ebike thing, they’ve moved on a bit since I left Halfords, all I’ll say is make sure the shop is able to get parts and service them, Halfords had a lot of problems getting crank and torque sensors for their bikes so ended up warranting bikes by giving customers new ones because we couldn’t repair the ones they had

Interesting ride today after yesterday’s storm. Plenty of trees down and a bit of flooding but in the grand scheme of things could’ve been worse.

Good fun though, you just can’t have enough mud in your life.

IMG_7729.jpeg

IMG_7730.jpeg

With everything frozen took the opportunity to give the summer bike a debut shakedown ride. Have put lower rolling resistance tyres on which worked a treat, but the first ride confirmed the suspicions that the front ring needs changing from 30T to 32T as spinning out on the downhills, and 800mm bars are far too wide for in and out of the trees so will nip about 30mm off each end of those.

Never thought I’d get a bit geeky about that sort of thing but starting to understand the differences and why some people get well into it. No desire to get into the micro detail of saving grams or spending fortunes on carbon tbh, just content with a few minor tweaks and making it feel right.

We all like different things of course but very happy so far.

IMG_7782.jpeg

4 cyclists fined up the road in Esher.

Interesting the elation of both motorists AND decent cyclists who know these idiots give them a bad name. Have thought for a while police targeting cyclists would be the first step to building bridges but I guess that will never happen. Good fortune there was an unmarked car there and fair play to the officers for taking action too.

Almost got car-doored today. Saw the door opening so slowed down, then saw it closing so carried on, giving it as wide a berth as I could given there was a car coming the other way. Matey then decides to open the door to within inches of me. Fortunately I still had a bit of room to manoeuvre as the Mini coming the other way had seen what was happening and stopped.

I'm still shaking. Who knows what might have happened on another day. I'm also annoyed I didn't have the presence of mind to thank the Mini driver.

Back