• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The "What Could Have Beens"...

This would have got us promoted, no doubt

https://imgur.com/gallery/lMKf9

The man was a revolutionary. Who knew?

In time honoured McGhee fashion we did not play that way in the next game.

----------------Segers---------------

Muscat-----Williams----Curle-----Naylor

Keane------Robinson----Osborn----Froggatt

-------------Goodman----Freedman---------

Then very shortly afterwards he stopped picking Freedman altogether, thanks Mark.

The man was a revolutionary. Who knew?

In time honoured McGhee fashion we did not play that way in the next game.

----------------Segers---------------

Muscat-----Williams----Curle-----Naylor

Keane------Robinson----Osborn----Froggatt

-------------Goodman----Freedman---------

Then very shortly afterwards he stopped picking Freedman altogether, thanks Mark.

Robinson Osborn central midfield. Oooh sex.

That front three is awesome.

The rest of it I'm not so sure about...

It's a work of art man!

That back three, all quality defenders with pace, strength, heading being marshalled by Keith curle.

Osborn to provide the guile and Robinson to get stuck in. Nails as a wing back which was his best position and Muscat the other who was great getting forward.

And that front three needs no words, plus we had keano coming off the bench.

How the fuck did we not get promoted with that squad

Robinson to get stuck in

vP1Gl5.gif

We re-signed him about two weeks after that. Big Mark must have thought he was the missing piece of the jigsaw.

loved his book, though very sad. not too complimentary about Stan's man management. he could have had an immense career.

I do think Stan Cullis had run his course at Wolves when he was sacked. He was never successful at Bham City and with the abolition of the Maximum wage his style of Management (by fear) had run its course

I do think Stan Cullis had run his course at Wolves when he was sacked. He was never successful at Bham City and with the abolition of the Maximum wage his style of Management (by fear) had run its course

Correct.

Mate of mine always claimed it was between ONeill and McGhee to replace Taylor. Never sure myself but a big could have been if true.

Pre-Taylor it may well have been Rudge which may have not left us in the position we were in with a Taylor. A bit direct mind you.

Last edited:

yep, he may have had a few more seasons in him but I think TF’s book highlighted the limitations. We had a couple more unlucky strikers before him. Roy Swinbourne was a favourite of Cullis and injured his knee hurdling cameramen, never to recover. Dennis Westcott was probably denied 150+ goals off his stats by the war. As it was he scored 91 in 76 games in the war year friendlies. Died of leukaemia aged 43. Dunno if the monkey gland injections were ever linked to it.

yep, he may have had a few more seasons in him but I think TF’s book highlighted the limitations. We had a couple more unlucky strikers before him. Roy Swinbourne was a favourite of Cullis and injured his knee hurdling cameramen, never to recover. Dennis Westcott was probably denied 150+ goals off his stats by the war. As it was he scored 91 in 76 games in the war year friendlies. Died of leukaemia aged 43. Dunno if the monkey gland injections were ever linked to it.

The what now? Monkey gland injections?

I’ve definitely read somewhere before that Ferguson considered, then declined, the Wolves job a few years before he went to United.

Blimey, no proof it ever worked but the opposition seemed to think it did which is enough.

Although how the planet of the apps writers missed this opportunity I'll never know!
The monkey gland stuff was propaganda. They were more like vitamin supplements IIRC.

I just stumbled (well, as you do) across a video of SEB’s goals. Firstly, I was convinced he would score goals in the Premier League when we got promoted. But what I was thinking about was his injury. Had we got relegated and he hadn’t had the injury, would he have stayed? He was in great form at that point and was probably on course for nearly 20 goals, an impressive feat in a god awful team. And maybe if that cock Robinson hadn’t fucked him up, maybe we would have stayed up?

Man I loved him. I think he’d be very useful in this team at this level too to be fair.