• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The "What Could Have Beens"...

If it was a choice between staying up and keeping Saunders (allowing him to spend money in the summer of 2013 into the bargain) or going down and getting rid of him, I'd take the temporary purgatory of League One, thanks very much.

Think SEB was already on the way down in 2012/13 - his return was still pretty good but he was offering absolutely nothing in general play by that point and he was markedly less sharp than his 2008/9 peak. Don't really think he would be a good fit for the way we currently play.

I don’t disagree on the first point, of course!

I suppose the problem with SEB, even at the peak of his powers, wouldn’t be a first choice for us because of how we play and he wouldn’t have wanted to have been sat on the bench. I loved how much he wanted to score. I remember someone saying even if we won if he hadn’t scored he’d be miserable.

He suffered for staying with us past the first season in the Premier Legaue, which he had really struggled in for fitness and form especially as we had completely changed our style and shape as a team. He actually did okay the next season (7 goals in 12 starts?) but he should have moved on when I think about it. I don’t remember us having bids for him mind.

I just stumbled (well, as you do) across a video of SEB’s goals. Firstly, I was convinced he would score goals in the Premier League when we got promoted.
Man I loved him. I think he’d be very useful in this team at this level too to be fair.
SEB was a fine goalscorer but did he have enough all round game to displace Leo? I don't think so but it would have been interesting to see. And certainly a fantastic option from the bench.

I have sung for seb and was really surprised he didn't cut it in the premier league. Ends up a nearly man when I thought he was going to be bully 2

Three to ponder:

* Sir Jack hadn't been outbid by the Bhattis in 1982.
* Barnwell had been able to sign a midfield of Platini and Peter Reid

Apart from Platini and Reid there was also one of the Van Der Kerkoff's twins, think the E&S even said that he had actually signed at one point

* John Ireland hadn't panicked in 1964[/QUOTE]

If there intended replacement the then Hibs manager Jock Stein hadnt gone to Celtic and basically said if you want me, appoint me now or I go to Wolves, and Celtic eventually caved into his demands.

I do think Stan Cullis had run his course at Wolves when he was sacked. He was never successful at Bham City and with the abolition of the Maximum wage his style of Management (by fear) had run its course

as a 10 year old i was squeezing past his car, a vauxhall cresta, very flash in those days, which was parked by the gate to the enclosure. cullis came out as angry as hell and shouting at me for daring to be so close to his car.

certainly put the fear of god into me

as a 10 year old i was squeezing past his car, a vauxhall cresta, very flash in those days, which was parked by the gate to the enclosure. cullis came out as angry as hell and shouting at me for daring to be so close to his car.

certainly put the fear of god into me

Should have known not to 'touch' a Vauxhall Cresta - was a real step up from the Vauxhall Victor my parent's had!

I do think Stan Cullis had run his course at Wolves when he was sacked. He was never successful at Bham City and with the abolition of the Maximum wage his style of Management (by fear) had run its course

I am a tour guide at st georges park as I'm taking people around I take them through the FA learning centre. On one of the walls are a number of pictures of famous managers (shankly Busby etc) but the one most prominent in the centre of them all is Stan cullis. Although I never saw the 50s team my old man always raved about Cullis so I always when giving a tour give people a history of him and tell them about the great Wolves team of that era and how we pioneered what is now the champions league with the great TV nights against the great continental teams of that era.
Also the England dressing room at St Georges is called the Billy Wright changing room with a large picture of him over the dressing room wall and when I do the tours again I always give a history of his achivements and how wolves were the greats of the past.
Rest assured we are well represented at st georges to other fans when I do the tours

I stayed there for a few days a couple of weeks ago, it's good what they do with historical figures and as you said we are well represented. On the England camp I was at the coach asked the players if they knew who Billy Wright was, and then stressed the importance of knowing as that was the changing room they would be using for matches in the future.

That said, there is also a wall in one part of the centre celebrating the current young english coaches and on this wall (amongst a couple of others too I think) is Dyche, Howe and...... Sherwood!