• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The wolves Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueSkies

Reaction score
This is something I firmly believe in and will ultimately take the club on to the next level. We have seen how the likes of Portsmouth and Leeds have got on spending large sums of money subsequently meaning Mr Morgan has wisely decided to adopt a young and hungry approach without spending crippling fees which may take the club to bankruptcy and wisely so in my view. This is clearly a strategy we are taking so let's get behind the boys; do we really want mercenaries with high wages at the club who are merely here for the financial rewards? Lets bring through young talent and if that means several years in the championship building then so be it as the premiership is overrated anyway with its overhyped garbage served up. I would rather see us compete and beat clubs in the championship instead of losing week in week out to the likes of United, Arsenal and dare I say with their new owners even West Brom. The sad truth of modern football is we cant compete with these clubs and if we can finish top ten this season with a slim chance of playoffs playing attractive expansive football I think we would all be happy with that. For some reason wolves fans never have any patience but it's a long term project and we need to utilise patience to witness the progression continue . I get more pleasure seeing young local lads given their opportunity than paying over the odds for foreign players and if that means championship football for the foreseeable future then so be it as the quality of competitive football in the championship outweighs the misery of premier league beatings every day of the week. It's quite evident the main reason we miss out on so many players is due to the fact they don't want to be here which I don't believe is wage related but if it is do we really want money grabbing mercenaries here anyway? Lets keep our faith in what Jackett has achieved so far and long may the "wolves way " continue

I agree and I'd imagine most on here will too except for the staying in the Championship bit.

Some would prefer us to lose every week in the PL rather than win most weeks in the Championship.

I agree and I'd imagine most on here will too except for the staying in the Championship bit.

Some would prefer us to lose every week in the PL rather than win most weeks in the Championship.

Now, now Penk I think some would prefer to compete in the Premier league most weeks rather than be in the Championship.

I'd rather watch us struggle to contain Sergio Aguero than watch us struggle to contain Clayton Donaldson tbf.

Now, now Penk I think some would prefer to compete in the Premier league most weeks rather than be in the Championship.

Depends on you definition of compete. Villa and West Brom have competed over the last two seasons, but I wouldn't swap that for what we've had.

I'd rather watch us struggle to contain Sergio Aguero than watch us struggle to contain Clayton Donaldson tbf.

You can watch Aguero struggle to be contained most weeks, t doesn't need to be against Wolves.

Yes I can watch Aguero running amok most weeks but I can't watch Wolves ... unless they are in the Premier League. So selfishly, I want Wolves to be in the Premier league.

On a less selfish note, would Morgan lose interest if he thought that Wolves would never get into the Premier League?

I understand that people want to see "Young and hungry" players (although Mick McCarthy had a team of such players and we all know what some of them turned into eventually). I don't understand the mentality of the the people who say they'd rather be in the Championship. Lets just play in the West Midlands regional league, maybe we could win every week at that level and break all records? I don't want Wolves to be a bigger version of Crewe Alexandra.

Surely we would all want Wolves to be winning games, and if we do so on a regular basis in the coming season, then we may well get promoted. Stoke City have shown it is possible to stay in the premier league, and be competitive.

I'd quite like to emulate Stoke, but even that would become pointless after a few seasons as Stoke fans have found out.

Getting promoted to the premier league was far more exciting than being in it.

I doubt many of us have had a more exciting a euphoric experience than survival Sunday. I hate being in the championship. I'd take 17th on the last day in the premier league over 100 championship points 10 times out of 10.

For me its about the development of a progressive pattern of play that has excitement at its core and has various means of chance creation. I look to performance first rather than result because I feel if you get the one right the other will follow. I think at times Wolves become predictable with far to much reliance on wingers and the crossed ball, rather than having the capacity to go past players in central positions or play the through ball. If Wolves season by season develop the pattern and introduce better players whatever the division thats good enough for me.

I pretty much agree with the OP but think we should be at least play -off contenders most of the time with us pushing for automatic promotion regularly. I have enjoyed the last couple of seasons at a lower level much more than any time we were in the Prem, that said I still want us pushing for promotion, if we can emulate the likes of Southampton and Swansea I will be happy but thats far from easy.

I would rather watch wolves move between the leagues tbh. Following Wolves over the last few seasons has always been exciting (not necessarily enjoyable...).

Winning the Championship was the most excited I have ever had with Wolves, but winning league 1 wad close! Staying up by the skin of our teeth against Blackburn was probably the 3rd most exciting moment.

Sitting in the Championship and stagnating/experiencing no excitent is not something that excites me.

Although I agree with the premise that seeing your team win games is more enjoyable than losing irrespective of the league, the OP is fundamentally flawed in thinking that we can build a team over a number of years, the better players will leave and need replacing. If Dicko and Afobe have decent seasons and we don't go up at least one of them will leave. Yes we will replace them, they might be replaced with players as good or better, but the notion that we can keep the same team whilst gradually improving isn't reality

Although I agree with the premise that seeing your team win games is more enjoyable than losing irrespective of the league, the OP is fundamentally flawed in thinking that we can build a team over a number of years, the better players will leave and need replacing. If Dicko and Afobe have decent seasons and we don't go up at least one of them will leave. Yes we will replace them, they might be replaced with players as good or better, but the notion that we can keep the same team whilst gradually improving isn't reality

So once a player proves himself in a Wolves shirt should they be offered a more long term contract so both parties stay together through thick and thin and get rewarded appropriately.

Again that's not reality, see Sako as the perfect example

Again that's not reality, see Sako as the perfect example

Its impossible for clubs to create a budget which would retain a player on the same salary if half those years are in the Premier league while the other years may be within the Championship?

I'd quite like to emulate Stoke, but even that would become pointless after a few seasons as Stoke fans have found out.

Getting promoted to the premier league was far more exciting than being in it.

The Premier League isn't the be all and end all, I agree. Take Villa last season, if I was a Villa fan I'd have gladly taken relegation if it meant we'd have won the FA Cup.

Stoke, Swansea, Wigan have all played in Europe on the back of a good cup run. There's no reason Wolves couldn't do the same. If we eventually get relegated then so what? At least we'd have had some enjoyable times along the way.

To stagnate in the Championship? No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back