• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The wolves Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we need a billionaire Russian or Arab to buy the club.

Teams without substantial funding may last for a few years, but will eventually fail.

In so much as everyone below Spurs/Everton in the pecking order always has survival as their primary objective, I suppose. Providing the club isn't being jeopardised financially (and it shouldn't be, given the TV money around now) then I think I'd rather be watching the likes of Bojan, Ayew, Tadic, Sigurdsson, Cabaye or Lescott in a gold shirt up against the best in the land - all of those play for clubs who are certainly no bigger than Wolves - than watching Dave Edwards and Matt Doherty pit their wits against Charlton and Brentford.

We have to acknowledge that at this juncture the likes of Stoke and West Brom are well ahead of us but there is no reason we cant close the gap if we continue to be patient adopting a shrewd but not reckless transfer policy. The division we are in isn't the be all and end all, would you sooner see us spend millions of pounds on foreign mercenaries who are here only for the money in the premier league or get behind the youth / local talent whilst gradually building in the championship. For all those advocating spending large sums of money , I give you Roger Johnson so lets stop throwing money at our problems and start to see the academy bear fruits which is one of the best in the country. If scenario A is premier league football with a bunch of players that don't care about the club vs young and hungry talent recruited from the academy going about things the right way not on over inflated wages, then I am happy to remain in the championship for the foreseeable future until we are ready to take that step up.

We don't need a billionaire owner ( Palace don't) but when we get up, as we did a few seasons back, not only do you need to upgrade a couple of players, but sometimes also the manager. Not going to rake up old ground, but at some point hopefully soon, if we gain promotion we must rightfully give KJ his chance, BUT if things do not go well, we must bring in a seasoned coach to keep us up at all costs, and not the fiasco we had last time.

I have no envy of West Brom fans over the last few years and that won't change whilst Pulis is in charge.

Stoke are in a different league to us as their owner is more Sir Jack than Morgan.

Its a tricky situation, our ultimate goal to my mind is to get into the Prem, consolidate and then try to get into the 6-12 place area consistantly, the problem being that eventually that also becomes a bit stale. My suspicion is that Stoke, Everton, Southampton, Swansea etc will be in this position for a while and then start to slide as other clubs take over, don't get me wrong, I would snatch your hand off to be in that position but I worry what will happen in the future (maybe I'm looking ahead too far) Depressingly, I can't see anyone breaking the stranglehold of Arsenal, Man U, City and Chelsea in the top 4 for a very long time.
Having said all that. I still want Wolves to be the best they can and that means getting into the Prem and me getting frustrated with some fans unrealistic aspirations and the hate/vitriol that will be aimed at Coaches, players and the management team.

If Wolves did gain promotion this season would they have to upgrade half a dozen or more players by spending close to 30 million in the transfer market. Recruitment is key whatever the level and I'm not sure Wolves are good enough when shopping on the continent.

No don't understand staying in the championship. Beating Rotherham 5-0 isn't that fun, they were shit, we don't play that well, and it's like 'oh we beat Rotherham 5-0', pretty standard really. Would much rather score a last minute equaliser away at Everton, feels more of an achievement.

The only PL result I look for, is The shite down the road and of course, I hope they have got thrashed. I can't stand London clubs and Villa can do one too.
I hate what SKY TV and the PL have done to British football. I haven't watched one PL match, since Wolves were relegated. I have no interest in it at all, apart from hoping those cunts down the road get relegated. I don't read any newspapers or internet sites about the PL either.
The problem I have, is like most on here, I love Wolverhampton Wanderers and of course want them to win everything at the very highest level. To me, until the Wolves return to the PL, the PL doesn't exist.

Its a tricky situation, our ultimate goal to my mind is to get into the Prem, consolidate and then try to get into the 6-12 place area consistantly, the problem being that eventually that also becomes a bit stale. My suspicion is that Stoke, Everton, Southampton, Swansea etc will be in this position for a while and then start to slide as other clubs take over, don't get me wrong, I would snatch your hand off to be in that position but I worry what will happen in the future (maybe I'm looking ahead too far) Depressingly, I can't see anyone breaking the stranglehold of Arsenal, Man U, City and Chelsea in the top 4 for a very long time.
Having said all that. I still want Wolves to be the best they can and that means getting into the Prem and me getting frustrated with some fans unrealistic aspirations and the hate/vitriol that will be aimed at Coaches, players and the management team.

Well, Liverpool did it the year before last. It wasn't too long ago when no one could see past Man U. Things do change, sometimes most unexpectedly, and obviously no one can foresee the unforeseen. Main point is, of course, if we're not there, we'll never know.

Well, Liverpool did it the year before last. It wasn't too long ago when no one could see past Man U. Things do change, sometimes most unexpectedly, and obviously no one can foresee the unforeseen. Main point is, of course, if we're not there, we'll never know.

Liverpool year before last was a one off on the back of a good season by their strikers, which you will get occasionally, they won't sustain that.

I think the point being a small team (Albion, Stoke, Villa, Watford etc) will not break the monopoly...

There's a world of difference between expecting Wolves to break the top four (completely unrealistic) and Wolves becoming a team that is consistently competitive in the top flight, the latter being what most of us aspire to and what a number of clubs of equal or lower standing to Wolves have managed in the last decade, without needing a billionaire at the helm or bankrupting the club in the process.

No, but they've all had huge debt which has been bankrolled by the owner.

How many more seasons can they do it for?

They'll need to keep replacing players to the same quality, which won't happen.

I'd be more than happy to be in the PL if we emulate Swansea over 4 seasons.

I doubt many of us have had a more exciting a euphoric experience than survival Sunday. I hate being in the championship. I'd take 17th on the last day in the premier league over 100 championship points 10 times out of 10.

Tick, remember we took a fair few high ranking scalps on the way last time.

They'll need to keep replacing players to the same quality, which won't happen.

But that was what you were saying we should do earlier in the thread? Just a level lower so we have even less chance of pulling it off.

They've only really lost Vorm and Bony since they went up who were key players. The former was replaced by a free transfer.

Edit: Davies too thinking about it but they got Sigurdsson back and ended up better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back