• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The wolves Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask yourself this question.
If you had a complete free choice which division you want your Club to play in regularly, what would you choose?
I think over 90% would choose the top level.

Yes, it's good to see your team win every game, but when you play teams every week that you feel you should beat, it's soon becomes wearing. Much better to see them compete competently against the best in the land and I feel that's what we should be aspiring to.

Chelsea and Arsenal are both well established Premiership Clubs, who have superb Academies that provide the 'young and hungry' aspect should they decide to use it.

Its impossible for clubs to create a budget which would retain a player on the same salary if half those years are in the Premier league while the other years may be within the Championship?
I'm not sure what point you are making as we don't have anyone on PL salaries. The OP talks about a slow build over a number of years, I'm saying that players will want to improve their careers both professionally and financially during that period. Assuming that they are good enough you are asking them to forego both the opportunity to earn more money and play at a higher level. Steve Bull was unique, very few if any players would stay with a club out of loyalty if they could earn more and play at a higher level elsewhere. Again, I draw you to the example of Sako, even if we offered to hold his wages to the £25k per week he was supposed to previously be on, he could earn at least 50% more elsewhere and also play at a higher level so why would he stay?

The likes of Dicko and Afobe although under contract will know if there are PL clubs interested in them and also what they could earn. If they want a move and they push it hard enough they will get one.

I'm with Penk but I think most already know that, the most miserable match day experience's I've ever endured were those in the Premier League.

I'm not sure what point you are making as we don't have anyone on PL salaries. The OP talks about a slow build over a number of years, I'm saying that players will want to improve their careers both professionally and financially during that period. Assuming that they are good enough you are asking them to forego both the opportunity to earn more money and play at a higher level. Steve Bull was unique, very few if any players would stay with a club out of loyalty if they could earn more and play at a higher level elsewhere. Again, I draw you to the example of Sako, even if we offered to hold his wages to the £25k per week he was supposed to previously be on, he could earn at least 50% more elsewhere and also play at a higher level so why would he stay?

The likes of Dicko and Afobe although under contract will know if there are PL clubs interested in them and also what they could earn. If they want a move and they push it hard enough they will get one.

My point is if clubs dont panic when relegated with the right financial structure they can retain many of their best players through what might be YOYO years.
I believe if you are fair to players there's every chance it will be reciprocated.

I only get to about 6 games a season and the last two years have been in fairness much more enjoyable, ease of obtaining a ticket (I know not relevant for ST holders), sensible ticket prices and in the pub with friends beforehand if not expectation, at least hope we might win. Against that, paying inflated ticket prices in the PL to have 11 men more or less constantly behind the ball defending is not much fun.

That said, you still have to aspire to be in the top league. To quote the OP playing expansive, attractive football in the championship is all well and good but, assuming a team is capable of doing it, it will a) necessarily put you in the top 2 or in the play-offs anyway and b) ensure the players that are producing this football are snaffled up by Prem teams who have the money to pick off who they want if promotion is not achieved - i.e. it cannot be a long term plan.

Plus I would imagine "the wolves way" if there is such a thing, is designed to pay financial rewards upon achievement of promotion.

For the record, I think Morgan is going about it the right way, I would love us to get up this year so we can see if he changes his plan of attack from the last time which I think he would.

BTW I'm not a big fan of this 'Wolves Way' thing Thelwell & co have been talking about recently. Makes us sound like West Ham fans.

BTW I'm not a big fan of this 'Wolves Way' thing Thelwell & co have been talking about recently. Makes us sound like West Ham fans.

Indeed, when are wolves going to bin off their piss poor PR team. 'Wolves way' FFS means absolutely nothing.

I'm with Penk but I think most already know that, the most miserable match day experience's I've ever endured were those in the Premier League.

Really? Some of the dross served up by Solbakken/Saunders was much worse IMO. Peterborough at home around Xmas towards the end of Stales reign is just one example.

For me, I want us to be competing in the top level, trying to win every game and cup we are in. It's not realistic to expect but we have shown before that we can compete at the top level. I would love to see Jackett manage in the PL, he's shown us already that he can sign quality players and I think he would have us playing some attractive football in the top flight. Also the fact that we would be on tv every week is important for someone who can't get to the games regularly.

Indeed, when are wolves going to bin off their piss poor PR team. 'Wolves way' FFS means absolutely nothing.

I think that's harsh.

West Ham use it as a way to claim they are a big club, as if it is part of their history and a tradition at their club.

Thelwell and co have created this identity (recently) in order to benefit long term, and give it substance rather than win in an argument about how great their club is.

I can 100% understand Penk and Trev's viewpoints, but I'm slightly caught in the middle here. The Premier League really isn't as amazing as is made out, especially for a club like ours who are very very unlikely to be anything other than midtable at very best, and that's only after several years of struggling to avoid the drop. And then we have to get there first.

I love watching the Premier League, but I hate what it stands for and it's not nice to be on the receiving end of the bad defeats, the atrocious refereeing, the media glare and the outright negativity when we don't beat Chelsea by fans who think we have a divine right to beat anyone. That's before all the fickle fans come out of the woodwork having stayed away since we were last up there.

Of course, given the choice, I want my club to be as good and competitive as possible and I'd love us to win the league this season and stay up next season. I'm definitely not as desperate to get there as I was in 2002 and 2008 before our last promotion campaigns.

I think that's harsh.

West Ham use it as a way to claim they are a big club, as if it is part of their history and a tradition at their club.

Thelwell and co have created this identity (recently) in order to benefit long term, and give it substance rather than win in an argument about how great their club is.

Indeed - I don't see the problem with it. I think it's something we've all wanted since the collapse a few years ago - an identity and a clear vision about how we go about it. Fine by me.

Surely we want to see Wolves playing at as high a level as possible. We were once a established top division team. Those days are long gone and we have no divine right to be in the top division, but in my opinion that is where we should be aiming.

Our current philosophy is great, it has seen two very enjoyable seasons and we are building a young and dynamic squad with a core of potentially very good individuals who will be able to hold their own in the Premiership. It is these same players who give us the opportunity to challenge for promotion rather than be a good but not outstanding mid championship team. The problems arise when we don't get promotion and our better players have excellent seasons with the inevitable result that Premiership teams come sniffing around and eventually unsettle them enough for them to go irrespective of length of time left on contracts; or worse our Championship rivals with parachute money to burn start luring them. Yes we could find replacements but how many times will we find or produce a Dicko and Afobe? My view is that we are on the crest of a wave - we have to take advantage of that to get promoted; anything else and long term we will be a mid table Championship team with our better players as we unearth them being cherry picked by Premiership teams. Its a fine line between being a young and hungry player for Wolves and an ambitious player (with an agent advising him) wanting to go to the next level if we fail to provide that next level.

I think that's harsh.

I've no problem with the theory behind that but I don't like the connotations. If there was a traditional 'Wolves Way' it would be kick and rush or a focus on wing play. I much preferred it when they talked about a 'Wolves DNA'. Got the same point across but didn't sound quite as snobby.

On the Prem/Champ debate, I understand both sides of the argument. One of my greatest wishes though is to see Wolves play in Europe. I don't care if it's just the one Europa League Qualifier vs FK Rabotnički, that would top anything I've yet experienced as a Wolves fan. Given our pathetic showings in cup competitions over the past decade, that's never going to happen while we're still in the Championship.

*Hate to come over all MolMix but also never going to happen with Morgan & Moxey at the club, they're entirely too satisfied with just being 'competitive'.

I've no problem with the theory behind that but I don't like the connotations. If there was a traditional 'Wolves Way' it would be kick and rush or a focus on wing play. I much preferred it when they talked about a 'Wolves DNA'. Got the same point across but didn't sound quite as snobby.

The way I understand it (and i might be wrong) "the wolves way" refers to a sound and stable financial approach and the development and /or signing of players that will improve the team and have added resale value. It has little to do with a playing style.

West Ham on the other hand seemed to want to announce that they were the guardians of some kind of beautiful football apparently synonymous with their club.

*Hate to come over all MolMix but also never going to happen with Morgan & Moxey at the club, they're entirely too satisfied with just being 'competitive'.

Not so sure myself, I have a feeling (perhaps naively) that things would be different if Wolves could get back to the Prem and that M & M know they need to approach differently.

The way I understand it (and i might be wrong) "the wolves way" refers to a sound and stable financial approach and the development and /or signing of players that will improve the team and have added resale value. It has little to do with a playing style.

West Ham on the other hand seemed to want to announce that they were the guardians of some kind of beautiful football apparently synonymous with their club.

Yeah, I know that. That's why we should find a different term to stop the two getting confused.

Sorry chaps i got a call at 7.30 am to go to work, that i wasn't expecting. my half hour before leaving the house, is tea, fag, tea, fag, read some news on the internet, and fuck off to work.................and I did all that, and left immeadiatley after scanning the original post of this thread.

I just got back and re read it ???????????????????? DID I JUST GIVE UP HALF MY LIFE!! ( ok that was caps lock) but let it reign , aren't Langers and the rest who replied suffering from summer boredom when nothing happens, and at Wolves, when it does, you still know fuck all? are the others who replied so bored they replied too?

Sorry chaps i have started some totally shit, pissed, arrogant, nonsensical threads on here, but stop this fucker, because it's all about boring yourself to shit, and if you are answering it, well shout at me all you like, but really!

( sorry kenny i didn't make the taverna up til now, before posting this, but i will rectify that situation asap, I promise) trust me..................... but I never started a thread that was asking no question at all, that didn't challenge your arse to fart at least once a day, or send you to sleep faster than two kilos of cypro FFS!.

Sorry Billy, back to the drawing board sir!

Although I agree with the premise that seeing your team win games is more enjoyable than losing irrespective of the league, the OP is fundamentally flawed in thinking that we can build a team over a number of years, the better players will leave and need replacing. If Dicko and Afobe have decent seasons and we don't go up at least one of them will leave. Yes we will replace them, they might be replaced with players as good or better, but the notion that we can keep the same team whilst gradually improving isn't reality

Usually you'd get good money for them which means you could bring two good players to replace the one that is exiting.

Usually you'd get good money for them which means you could bring two good players to replace the one that is exiting.

No team ever has sustained success when continually selling their best players, it only takes a couple of duds and it all starts falling apart. Also the ceiling of players you can attract to replace the gems is much, much lower while you're outside the PL. Hence us not being able to replace Sako like for like this summer.

There is only one place to be and that is the Premier League, of course you would much prefer us to be competitive there than getting battered each week, that has to be our aim. We've had this discussion before, I cannot fathom why anyone would want Wolves to languish in a rubbish division forever more, but each to their own. I want us to be as successful as we can and for us to have the best possible players that we can afford, there is only one place that can happen.

Palace have just spent £10m on Cabaye, what I'd give to be watching a player like that every week. Hardly inconceivable that we could emulate what they've done, we have a better team now than they had when they got promoted (and a better manager).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back