• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

I see Balague is already whistling JL’s flute all over Twitter.

Amazing how Lopetegui can get into a spat with FOSUN and Jeff, and stil come out smelling like a helmet

For any Hammers looking in, my summary:

Lopetegui did a fine job here in keeping us up, we were rock bottom at Christmas and he had to repair so much damage caused by that prick Lage. However - he was given a huge January budget to do it, and you wouldn't say it was serene progress. He got very little out of Neto and Cunha who have been brilliant this season, we still had Neves running midfield and Moutinho as an option off the bench which is quite the luxury for a team fighting the drop, and while it was definitely needs must in our position, you wouldn't say the football was stunning (although again, we just needed points and we had 77 year old Diego Costa up top). Signed off with a 6-0 defeat at Brighton (genuinely the worst performance I have ever seen in 36 years of watching us) and 5-0 at Arsenal, we'd just given up once we were safe.

A few green shoots in pre-season with what looked like a more attacking style but then it's friendlies, how can you judge. The kicker though was him getting that fat beardy wanker Balague to do his dirty work in the press not once, but twice, inside three months. Now it's true that our board were probably less than honest about our financial situation but did he really think we could keep spending £60m+ every window without selling anyone, as we did in January? If he did then he was epically deluded. Also kept moaning about players leaving who he wasn't even using, we can't have £300k/wk sat on the bench or in the stands. Sulked away and left four days before the start of the season.

I haven't missed him which is testament to the job O'Neil has done, I think he'll be fine for you but I wouldn't expect a huge shift in style - even his Sevilla teams weren't especially attacking, he's very much a 1-0 first manager. Communication wise he's not very good, his English isn't great at all (though I suppose it might have improved in the last year as he's carried on living here). He's definitely very keen on having an impact in the PL as opposed to anywhere else so motivation shouldn't be an issue, if Sullivan starts being Sullivan though...he will very likely rock the boat. Personally I couldn't be arsed with the hassle once he kept doing it here, whether you like our owners or don't (I don't, particularly).
And let’s not forget he was happy to sell/bin off Ait-Nouri whilst approving the potential signing of Cresswell (someone the Hammers fans will know only too well).

I was happy when we got Lop because he was a manager with great pedigree & clearly the owners had been after him for some time. When he arrived I found it really difficult to warm to him. He did well keeping us up but as you’ve mentioned, there were some proper horror shows mixed in where we were properly embarrassed (and we’ve got good players here so that shouldn’t really happen).

Him throwing the toys out the pram and walking on the eve of a new season is something us Wolves fans should never forgive. The warning signs were there with the shenanigans at Madrid/Spain etc, so we know he had it in him, but to ditch the players you’ve been working with like he did (yes, yes, Jeff Shi and Fosun are wankers we know this), was one step too far.

I hope he falls flat on his face.

Last edited:
How does Guillem type when his nose is that far inserted

I don't disagree with the general thrust of Balague's Tweet, but extraordinary is doing some heavily lifting, putting it in capitals doesn't make it so. He did a decent job after being provided with an EXTRAORDINARY budget for a January window. Most reasonable fans wouldn't have a problem with him if he didn't act a dick ironically via Balague.

Last edited:
He was lied to badly by the club no doubt and Jeff/Fosun have had pelters for that, rightly so but his behaviour after that was poor for me.
Also did he not say the squad wasn't good enough? Or did I dream that.

Remember when principled Julen Lopetegui was discussing his next role while his national side was already in Russia on the eve of the World Cup? What a guy.

Its ironic really, Lopetegui and Shi deserve one another.

Cunha £42m
Dawson £5m
Sarabia £5m (and £100k p/w)
Lemina £10m
Gomes £15m

If you get given that much in one month how much do you think a mid table club can give you 6 months later without selling anyone FFS.

Cunha £42m
Dawson £5m
Sarabia £5m (and £100k p/w)
Lemina £10m
Gomes £15m

If you get given that much in one month how much do you think a mid table club can give you 6 months later without selling anyone FFS.
After already spending £45m on Nunes, £27m on Guedes, £20m on Collins, £15m of Sasa. They ended up being worth a tenth of that to the team but it was still spent

That summer window really is incredible in how much was spent and how damaging it was. I know we got away with Collins and Nunes because we somehow got profits for them but no wonder the manager and director of football were gone within a couple of months.

He was lied to badly by the club no doubt and Jeff/Fosun have had pelters for that, rightly so but his behaviour after that was poor for me.
Also did he not say the squad wasn't good enough? Or did I dream that.
Deep enough rather than good enough I think

Back