• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

Sá is a bigger problem than just the brain farts and wildly inconsistent shot stopping. He was brought in to allow us to play a higher line and have a more compact press but throughout his time here he's consistently made errors when rushing off his line to deal with balls in behind our back line.

It's why we need to replace Kilman as well, he can't play that way either. Go and rewatch Villa's goal against us at Villa Park for a perfect example of that.

To butcher a Bielsa quote 'If your team is conceding goal look first at your forwards, if your team can't score goals look first at your defenders'. The squad's lack of confidence in our back line + keeper to play a high line seriously affects us IMO. If we had a back 4 + keeper that could squeeze up and suffocate a team you'd see a lot more performances like the first half of the Leicester away game but without the numerous counter attacks cutting straight through us and the kamikaze goalkeeping.

Of our defenders Semedo can do it (I'm choosing to ignore Brighton away), so can Toti & Bueno, Dawson struggles but has other qualities, Collins  should be able to but can't, Kilman is slow and entirely too passive so completely unsuited, no idea on Giles, Jonny is broken and Hoever... Just no. Coady shouldn't be an option, moving him on was the right decision (probably about a year too late) and handled appallingly. I think we need 2 centre backs, 1 right back and a keeper this summer. One CB to compete with Dawson on the right, one CB to compete with Toti on the left, a right back to replace Jonny and a keeper to replace Sá. Kilman, Collins, Sá, Jonny & Coady should be moved on.

Most goals are down to a mistake by someone and given the amount we conceded Kilman’s shocker against Villa doesn’t half get its share of attention. He’s a lower half PL CH. They all make mistakes. Obviously if Spurs want him for £25m+ we’d all snap their hands off but like Sa he’s nowhere near as bad as some on here claim. Both played most games after Lop’s arrival and despite not having a striker worthy of the title we were comfortably mid table with them playing.

Kilman is really bad, honestly.

Dreadful in the air, weak physically, turns like a skip and outright refuses to tackle at times.

Look at Bournemouth's goal. It's not an outright error but it's Max Kilman to a tee. He isn't doing anything. Doesn't close off the cross, doesn't press the ball, doesn't track the man in the middle. He's just there. And it's a goal. He shrugs and puts his hands on his child bearing hips. I go home in a mood because we've lost to a shit team.

He's rubbish.

Most goals are down to a mistake by someone and given the amount we conceded Kilman’s shocker against Villa doesn’t half get its share of attention. He’s a lower half PL CH. They all make mistakes. Obviously if Spurs want him for £25m+ we’d all snap their hands off but like Sa he’s nowhere near as bad as some on here claim. Both played most games after Lop’s arrival and despite not having a striker worthy of the title we were comfortably mid table with them playing.
Exactly.

Dan you say Wolves fans catastrophise about general things within the club and you are right, but you do this about players all the time, it amazes me the level to which you criticise.

You know we've been shite for three seasons in a row, don't you.

So it follows that a good chunk of these players are shit. Max Kilman is shit.

A year ago it was "Lage can't have been that bad, we finished 10th". Yes he can have been that bad.

Also - and I hate playing this card - I've just shelled out £625 to watch 19 games of football. More fool me, you might say.

I don't want to shrug and accept mediocrity under those circumstances. Balls to "that'll do".

You get this all the time from our fans. Go mental over nothing and ignore what's right there in front of them.

"Oh Ikeme is alright, don't know why you'd replace him". Er, because he's wank and always gets injured? Then we only need to get someone solid like Ruddy to have a massive immediate uplift. And 2016's statement conveniently gets forgotten.

Get Dawson a decent partner and we're cooking on gas.

Not read the Telegraph article as it is behind a paywall but the Guardian take on it is that we spent our summer budget in the January window.

Not read the Telegraph article as it is behind a paywall but the Guardian take on it is that we spent our summer budget in the January window.
Which we had to, because we dug our own hole.

There's a very simple mantra we could live by to and avoid such catastrophes in the future. Don't employ shit managers and sign shit players.

10 months ago Lage was our manager and Guedes was our headline signing. Imagine.

You know we've been shite for three seasons in a row, don't you.

So it follows that a good chunk of these players are shit. Max Kilman is shit.

A year ago it was "Lage can't have been that bad, we finished 10th". Yes he can have been that bad.
Define shit though? "These players" post Lop appointment, was top 10 form.

You're shouting at the wind if you think we're going to vastly upgrade these players with our budget and ambition now.

To extend on your point, 12 months ago most were happy to see Saiss freed, look how that went.

I've told you why I think Kilman is shit but I'll happily repeat it for you - he can't turn, he's rubbish in the air, he struggles against anyone physical, he drifts through games, he doesn't engage properly, he's average at absolute best on the ball and he's got the fight of Audley Harrison. Can't lead either so constantly needs his hand holding.

You can present the alternative case if you like.

Less than a year ago he was doing this

That should make his fee £40m...

He’s our current vice captain now that Joao has gone - I wonder if he’ll be made captain once Ruben leaves?

It's a friendly against the reserves of a Spanish second tier team.

Darren Ferguson probably had an awesome Wrexham montage when he was playing for them in League Two.

Back