• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Things that make you SAD thread.

From the generation that did what they had to do,came home and just got on with life.
Jeremy clarkson did a documentary about his ex father in law who fought in Arnhem,won a VC and never told a soul,the family only found out when they were sorting out his funeral.
It's on YouTube,worth a watch,it's proper action hero stuff,if it was in a novel,you'd say it was far fetched

There was a guy on tv the other night, he always thought his mum was a drunken mess and didn't really like her. After her death while sorting her stuff found that she was photo journalist that went in just after D day and reported on events snd saw some horrific stuff, came home snd judt kept it all quiet, never told him about any of it.....he has a different view of her now

This afternoon I go and say goodbye to my friend... Feeling a little down but I'll get through it. The worst bit will be seeing his kids :icon_sad:

Sorry to hear this Mike - sad when anyone goes, but when it's your contempories then more telling.

Going to have to face this more & more as I age (even further)

The moon under water on a Wednesday night, this pub is a dive. Gone are the days it was anything else, theres some horrible scroats in town and most of them appear to be in here

It's been a dive for as long as I can remember. Which is a long time.

It's genuinely not changed at all since at least 2003 and I doubt it's been properly cleaned since then either. Filthy, horrible place. I'd genuinely rather drink in McGhees.

I only called in as I was on the way back from brum and wanted to wait somewhere to get a cab.

It's never been high class dont get me wrong but the scroats running around the place last night made Mcghees look welcoming.

It used to be our starting point during our youth up town but I've very rarely used the place since the millennium.

It's been a dive for as long as I can remember. Which is a long time.

It's genuinely not changed at all since at least 2003 and I doubt it's been properly cleaned since then either. Filthy, horrible place. I'd genuinely rather drink in McGhees.

Haven't been in there for sometime (apart from a Sunday breakfast as the cafe I would much rather use isn't open then & not paying hotel prices for nothing any better) - still incredibely depressing at 9 am on a Sunday morning!

I haven't been in there since the night before the Bristol City 'firm' went in and tore the place to shreds.

It was around the time well sold them.....someone.....that said City were a bigger club.

Havent posted on here for some time, have been very busy reading about autism and try to work things out. My 8 year old son has been diagnosed by lowest grade of autism about 2 months ago, explains a lot of his behaviour. He scored 99 of 100 in the IQ scale, got told he has IQ of a 16 year old and they tend to do a bit better in life I got told. He struggles with getting friends and generally with social skills. If anybody on here got some tips or whatever I would appreciate that.

Don't know much about autism although my missus has worked with some kids in the past but what about his interests? Sometimes a good way to get to interact with others, whether he's into historic vehicles, chess, sport, ballet, whatever.
Maybe I'm being a bit simplistic

Don't know much about autism although my missus has worked with some kids in the past but what about his interests? Sometimes a good way to get to interact with others, whether he's into historic vehicles, chess, sport, ballet, whatever.
Maybe I'm being a bit simplistic
Thanks for the answer. He doesnt like things with a lot of people, especially kids. He has no problem talking to adults though about almost everything, maybe kids are too unpredictable I dont know. He can play with kids he knows after a while. When he is interested in something he goes all the way in some almost manic way to the smallest detail. Have a hard time with irony and jokes. Just wanna help him to manage in life when he grows up.

Routine will work well for him.
Preparing him for things outside of the routine will help his adapting to new things.
If he has a bad day, it is exceptionally likely something about the day is different. It can be something which you or I wouldn't notice, but it will impact on him significantly, changing his whole perspective of the day, sometimes creating a situation where he will struggle to function.
For example, if you always do the shopping saturday, and then take him to visit a relative on the way home, he will become accustomed to that routine. If you don't shop, or visit the friend on the way home, it'll throw his whole world out of sync. Even if you did things the other way around, it'd have a big impact on him. If you didn't need shopping, find an excuse to take him to the shops, just get a pint of milk or something, stick as close to his expectations as possible. If the friend was not going to be in, tell your son repeatedly/daily for as long as you can in the build up to the day.
Essentially, this allows him to prepare himself, and thus have an element of control.

Most importantly, listen to him, and observe him, and communicate with him. My stepdaughter has a non-verbal autistic lad. He has additional difficulties as well. We communicate with him via makaton. She (SD) isn't what most would call an academic person, but she has developed an almost intuitive way of understanding him, and I cannot imagine how difficult and/or challenging it has been for her. I'll see if I can ask her for tips. But be aware he will be trying to communicate with you all the time, it is just that frequently he will struggle with doing this.

Routine will work well for him.
Preparing him for things outside of the routine will help his adapting to new things.
If he has a bad day, it is exceptionally likely something about the day is different. It can be something which you or I wouldn't notice, but it will impact on him significantly, changing his whole perspective of the day, sometimes creating a situation where he will struggle to function.
For example, if you always do the shopping saturday, and then take him to visit a relative on the way home, he will become accustomed to that routine. If you don't shop, or visit the friend on the way home, it'll throw his whole world out of sync. Even if you did things the other way around, it'd have a big impact on him. If you didn't need shopping, find an excuse to take him to the shops, just get a pint of milk or something, stick as close to his expectations as possible. If the friend was not going to be in, tell your son repeatedly/daily for as long as you can in the build up to the day.
Essentially, this allows him to prepare himself, and thus have an element of control.

Most importantly, listen to him, and observe him, and communicate with him. My stepdaughter has a non-verbal autistic lad. He has additional difficulties as well. We communicate with him via makaton. She (SD) isn't what most would call an academic person, but she has developed an almost intuitive way of understanding him, and I cannot imagine how difficult and/or challenging it has been for her. I'll see if I can ask her for tips. But be aware he will be trying to communicate with you all the time, it is just that frequently he will struggle with doing this.
Long answer, thanks..we are about to board the plane to shanghai now..we will spend 3 weeks in china, gutted i could get there a few days earlier to watch wolves..will read your post on the plane

Just found out my colleague's daughter died yesterday. We're not best friends or anything, but he is a genuinely lovely person. I really feel for him, can't imagine what it's like to lose a child.

Back