• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Tottenham (A) 17/2: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Back on the horse after a bad day at the office on Saturday.

I'm working on the assumption that Hwang will be fit but Cunha won't, we'll have to wait to see what Gaz says later in the week. There's a case for saying Santi deserves a go after a poor outing from Dawson but I don't see us going down that road. Most of the rest picks itself.

Spurs are wedded to their ultra-high line which might suit us on the counter but they look back in decent form after a rocky spell in the autumn. Richarlison tends to be either Pele or Trevor Benjamin against us, let's hope it's the latter.

One of our better away records in the PL era.

------------------------------Sa------------------------

----------------Kilman-------Dawson-----Toti-----------

Semedo---------Lemina-------J Gomes-------Ait-Nouri

---------------Sarabia------Hwang-----Neto----------

2023/24: W 2-1 (H)
2022/23: W 1-0 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2021/22: L 0-1 (H), W 2-0 (A), D 2-2 (H, LC, lost on pens)
2020/21: D 1-1 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2019/20: L 1-2 (H), W 3-2 (A)
2018/19: L 2-3 (H), W 3-1 (A)
2011/12: L 0-2 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2010/11: D 3-3 (H), L 1-3 (A)
2009/10: W 1-0 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2003/04: L 0-2 (H), L 2-5 (A)
1995/96: D 1-1 (A, FAC), L 0-2 (H, FAC)

Eric Young more at fault if you ask me slow to react, wasn’t the best pass by Thompson but could easily been dealt with

Remember the weather was worse for the replay, wouldn’t go ahead today. Thompson’s 2 back passes ended the tie before it even got going.

Remember the weather was worse for the replay, wouldn’t go ahead today. Thompson’s 2 back passes ended the tie before it even got going.
Bitterly cold, if memory serves it then bucketed down overnight with snow and we had school cancelled.

Bitterly cold, if memory serves it then bucketed down overnight with snow and we had school cancelled.
yeah the day of the game it was touch and go if it would go ahead.

Windscreen wipers froze to the screen on the M1 and the water in the jets was also frozen. Salted/gritted road 'filth' meant that I drove there with about a two inch square view through the screen where the palm of my hand wiped the same spot inside and outside. Driving with the drivers window open to keep reaching and putting my hand on the outside wasn't a great idea. Great ground in those days and wish I could bag two tickets for the new one now.

If we're not going to play Santi - then when are we going to play him ?

I presume when 1 of the 3 ahead of him either get injured, suspended or are shit for a few games in a row.
Yes sure - but the chances of Dawson being dropped or Kilman , even when they play poorly is remote . Same for Toti .

Santi didn't play poorly when given a few chances over Christmas . Proper competition for places can never be a bad thing . If you keep being picked even when you play poorly , then where is the incentive to improve .

Equally Dawson has been largely excellent for us for over a year, we aren't going to drop him after one bad game.
He has, but I'd argue its been more than 1 bad game. Its been 1 BAD game and 2 or 3 not particularly good games. Now I'm not going to say it's all Dawson, but defensively we have definitely looked more susceptible recently. Something isn't quite right there so maybe a change to someone is needed? It ain't gonna be Kilman, and Toti is the only one with a modicum of pace, so Dawson is for me, the most likely candidate for dropping. Harsh I know.

We've not really seen enough of Bueno, but the concern with dropping Dawson is he's the only one who communicates and organises, the other two don't. The plan next year for him should be CB 4/5 though, could even see a junior coaching role for him if he wants it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back