• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

V.A.R. - Good for Purpose??

Marginal offsides weren’t broke. Never did anyone question these decisions. Sky drew a line on the pitch and everyone just went with how it looked.

If anyone did have a problem with it, they can now see that the grass on the other side is pretty fucking brown so will now accept being an inch offside isn’t the end of the world (which they wouldn’t have even noticed anyway so couldn’t possibly be angry).

They’ve tried to fix a problem that wasn’t there and instead made a huge problem which doesn’t need fixing, just removing

Marginal offsides weren’t broke. Never did anyone question these decisions. Sky drew a line on the pitch and everyone just went with how it looked.

If anyone did have a problem with it, they can now see that the grass on the other side is pretty fucking brown so will now accept being an inch offside isn’t the end of the world (which they wouldn’t have even noticed anyway so couldn’t possibly be angry).

They’ve tried to fix a problem that wasn’t there and instead made a huge problem which doesn’t need fixing, just removing

remove the lines and its naked eye , clear and obvious

Mike Riley has come across as an obnoxious , pedantic, self important little twat throughout his entire career so its absolutely no surprise he and his stockley park minions are interpreting VAR and the rules in exactly the same fashion.

But this does throw up a whole new debate for football that is harder to answer and that is with current technology what do the game/fans/authorities want. Perfect decisions made by slide rule mathematics but right according to the current laws, or some element of doubt which then makes rules , guidelines which is not right. The rule is fine. Its the rigid interpretation thats not. Its working fine everywhere else its just Riley and his numpties who are causing the chaos to make themselves an empire.

If we go down the slide rule route we dont need officials at the game anymore. Ref by robot cam! The ref can sit in the box and make the decisions there. They can be as fat as they like, they cant be abused and every decision will be correct. FFS.

I think describing the majority of controversial decisions as ‘perfect’ and ‘right according to the rules’ is massively letting the refs off the hook. For offside assessment they have to the exact moment the mall was played to assess someone was offside and if that is only slightly out it distorts a decision because of the speed of movement. So it’s ridiculous expecting perfection - hence the clear and obvious caveat. As has been said, once they are taking more than 30 seconds to review or having to draw lines to players armpits it is obviously not clear and obvious and they should stop.

and I would still massively dispute a toe ahead of a defender should constitute a valid offside. It’s totally crass to consider offside in this way regardless of any interpretation by the refs or any other footballing Body. such interpretation is allowing VAR to be used in this stupid way.

This whole debate is pointless.

VAR was to be used, as in the Russia world cup, to look at penalty decisions that were ignored or missed by officials, particularly holding in the box, Evidenced by the number of penalties awarded for this.

Then, of course, the clear and obvious errors in offside, handball and fouls.

It turns out, at least in the PL, to be about influencing results in an even more suspect manner than before it was introduced. Whilst I don't advocate the views of the 'Football is Fixed' blog, there does seem to me to be an (un)conscious bias towards certain clubs.

The advocacy of using lines to view potential offsides is entirley subjective. The choice of which image to apply the lines too, means that it is possible to prove either way, depending on the outcome they wish for. The decision of PGMOL to use this forensic examination, which is entirely against the instruction of IFAB, is to my mind, at least suspicious. Call me paranoid, but it is how I view it.

On potential penalties, there appears to be no consistency of decision making, we all could name very similar instances where opposite oucomes took place.

The number of incidents that appear to have been totally ignored is also too high.

As for red cards, I will just say Maguire and Son, nuff said.

The principle of 'clear and obvious' just doesn't seem to be applied in the PL. Other than the stupid handball law, whereby a penalised handball by an attacker, is not not penalised when by a defender, I can't see that we need to change anything, just the way in which VAR is applied.

Maybe the answer is that the operation of VAR is removed from the influence of PGMOL. This takes away the possibility of Messrs Riley and Swarbrick influencing how it is implemented. Many advocate ex players becoming referees, perhaps they coud be trained to implement VAR instead.

Finally mike up refs and play VAR advice over the tannoy, then we know there is nothing dodgy happening.

Discuss (dons crash helmet and ducks).

VAR was to be used, as in the Russia world cup, to look at penalty decisions that were ignored or missed by officials, particularly holding in the box, Evidenced by the number of penalties awarded for this.

It turns out, at least in the PL, to be about influencing results in an even more suspect manner than before it was introduced. Whilst I don't advocate the views of the 'Football is Fixed' blog, there does seem to me to be an (un)conscious bias towards certain clubs.

The advocacy of using lines to view potential offsides is entirley subjective. The choice of which image to apply the lines too, means that it is possible to prove either way, depending on the outcome they wish for. The decision of PGMOL to use this forensic examination, which is entirely against the instruction of IFAB, is to my mind, at least suspicious. Call me paranoid, but it is how I view it.

On potential penalties, there appears to be no consistency of decision making, we all could name very similar instances where opposite oucomes took place.

The number of incidents that appear to have been totally ignored is also too high.

The principle of 'clear and obvious' just doesn't seem to be applied in the PL. Other than the stupid handball law, whereby a penalised handball by an attacker, is not not penalised when by a defender, I can't see that we need to change anything, just the way in which VAR is applied.

Maybe the answer is that the operation of VAR is removed from the influence of PGMOL. This takes away the possibility of Messrs Riley and Swarbrick influencing how it is implemented. Many advocate ex players becoming referees, perhaps they coud be trained to implement VAR instead.

Finally mike up refs and play VAR advice over the tannoy, then we know there is nothing dodgy happening.

no need to duck from me, good post.

No argument from me - miking up the Refs will help (though not until the VAR system is telling them what is happening as Dean appeared unable to answer Coady's reasonable request as to what offside they were checking last Friday). With Boly's disallowed goal v Leicester we were told via the screens that they were checking offside, but not on who & most of the ground aren't seated in a position where they can have a valid opinion.

The Danish League are bringing VAR in for next season, but as I understand it the role of the VAR official is merely to alert the on field ref if there is something he needs to check. The on field Ref will then check the pitchside monitor (as long as they keep players/managers well away from him) & he has 25 seconds to review the incident & either allow the goal/decision or overturn it.

I'd certainly look into any connections between Mike Riley and gambling syndicates. I think hes both useless and crooked.

I want VAR out of the hands of the PGMOL as well.

The PL or the FA should set up an independent group to handle it away from the current refs. Whether that just be ex refs or referees from other sports as well.

And it should definitely just be a recommendation to check and review their own decisions. The infield ref must be the one to make the final decisions IMO.

I want VAR out of the hands of the PGMOL as well.

The PL or the FA should set up an independent group to handle it away from the current refs. Whether that just be ex refs or referees from other sports as well.

And it should definitely just be a recommendation to check and review their own decisions. The infield ref must be the one to make the final decisions IMO.

All of this.

And Riley will resist agreeing to it until the FA insist he is binned.

You can see another example of clear and obvious being ignored, Ogbonna challenge on Aguero at MC v WHU. Appalling, incompetent.

You can see another example of clear and obvious being ignored, Ogbonna challenge on Aguero at MC v WHU. Appalling, incompetent.
Nothing wrong with a cheeky reach around

I can’t wait to see match of the day tonight. It sounds like our friend Mr coote has made another cock up! Also Bournemouth get a goal ruled out and a penalty given against them in the same play! That takes some doing. It really isn’t working as it was supposed to is it?

How on earth that foul by Lo Celso wasn't given as a red I'll never know. And as VAR have seen it - and now admitted they made a mistake - I think he's free to play against us next week

I've seen the Bournemouth one on Sky's Twitter. It's the right decision. Definite handball and penalty.

The Lo Celso one is just incompetence. And no surprise he hasn't given Leicester a penalty tonight either.

The referee bottled that penalty/goal situation though. He saw what happened but played on knowing VAR would check it. Referees are negating their position of authority on the field of play in the knowledge that some bloke watching a TV 30 miles away will dig him out of the shit. It's a joke, do your job correctly, award the penalty and that situation is avoided

I've seen the Bournemouth one on Sky's Twitter. It's the right decision. Definite handball and penalty.

The Lo Celso one is just incompetence. And no surprise he hasn't given Leicester a penalty tonight either.

I'd have given the Leicester one KDB hands up to protect his face but moves them away and the ball makes contact. Just as much a penalty as the City one for me.

Back