• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

V.A.R. - Good for Purpose??

As much as I can't stand Bournemouth, the VAR decisions against them were an absolute joke. The 'referee's a wanker' running the game. Put some ex-pro's in charge. Better still ditch it altogether.

As I said elsewhere the best idea is qualified referees on VAR that are not affiliated to Mike Riley and PGMOL. Preferably referees like the man in charge last Thursday, who was excellent. Coote is a fucking joke.

We can't outsource across Europe though for logistical reasons (without even getting into Brexit). The best you could do in the short term is recently retired players after passing some kind of bespoke course (they'd only be doing punditry anyway) or retired referees that you know are of the required standard.

Further on you create specific VAR positions where you don't necessarily need a physical refereeing background but you display the required levels of analysis and knowledge of the game. But would be miles down the line.

Anyway your man got an obvious one wrong on Thursday! Although everything ran much more smoothly as a whole.

Biggest decision in the Bournemouth game is the one against Billing, early on and sets the tone for the game. How you can say categorically that’s handball your vision is beyond exceptional.

We can't outsource across Europe though for logistical reasons (without even getting into Brexit). The best you could do in the short term is recently retired players after passing some kind of bespoke course (they'd only be doing punditry anyway) or retired referees that you know are of the required standard.

Further on you create specific VAR positions where you don't necessarily need a physical refereeing background but you display the required levels of analysis and knowledge of the game. But would be miles down the line.

Anyway your man got an obvious one wrong on Thursday! Although everything ran much more smoothly as a whole.

He did - I will concede that without fuss. BUT the way he refereed the game was a billion miles better than putting up with arseholes like Coote.

That should have been red for Lundstram to very very lucky to get away with that.

Not sure the ref got it wrong not sending Espanyol player off. You’ve seen them given but Jota puts his head in too (and kicks him), the Espanyol player just pushes his in more. It’s not a nut.

The ref also saw it from 5 yards away. I said it at the time, if he looks at it on the screen he isn’t going to change his mind as it’s the exact same thing he just saw with his own eyes. He is the ref, he makes the decision. I have no qualms with that. Better that way than some nob in a truck somewhere.

Last edited:
So apparently the ruling on the shoulder is basically where the seam of the sleeve and shirt runs. So basically even if it hits your shoulder now it’s still handball. It’s a rule that’s been made up to fit in with VAR.

The people running it started off making a mess of it and appear to be getting worse by the week, starting to look more foolish and amateurish by the game. Thursday night I completely forgot we had VAR and I've not heard of any major issues from Europe about it. I'm starting to think its just bloody mindedness now with PGMOL putting 2 fingers up to the rest of the world and saying "we're running it and we'll do it how we like"

Infantino is in favour of Wenger's plan. Looks like it'll happen then, good god

Back