• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Villa 2-3 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Don't think today has anything to do with our squad depth, we just didn't pick our best players in their correct position. RAN is a viable alternative to Marcal, is he perfect? No of course not. Raul should have started jet lag or not, could have subbed him if necessary. We started with 5 defenders, Marcal is not a wb and Semedo does not supply goals or assists. We also started with 3 defensive midfielders.
The team sheet and tactics shouted we've come for a 0-0 which just doesn't make sense against a Villa side that is about on par with us quality wise.
I'm not about to start shouting Bruno out at this stage but that line up today has me concerned when we had better options.
Agree I wanna see RAN instead of Marcal if we play with wingbacks..we dont know the story behind Raul not starting, he must have had something obviously after his amazing display in the last game. regarding midfield players, I think we just have those in total? Unless we play Pod as a 10

I don't see Semedo creating any goals. Hwang is raw. The midfield can be light if you score 5....
Doc was better going forward, Semedo runs a lot though

I don't think anyone is saying they're our "saviour". Just that they're preferable to who is currently starting

Marcal has been consistently poor, I think because he's being asked to do things he isn't very good at.

I don't know how you'd personally define a 'saviour' then, but people aghast they're not playing, and even intimating it's a blunder that leads to the sack, ticks the boxes for me.

I'm not particularly a Marcal fan, but Bruno is hardly the first Wolves manager to have a blind spot for a player this forum doesn't fancy. RAN will get his chance, if he's as good as we think he is.

We've played 8 league games, you can't tell me Bruno isn't still sussing things out. He probably wants to see things play out for himself, he's not going to read TWF for tips.

Criticism and analysis is fine, but let him manage and develop FFS, we're 8th in the league

I don't know how you'd personally define a 'saviour' then, but people aghast they're not playing, and even intimating it's a blunder that leads to the sack, ticks the boxes for me.

I'm not particularly a Marcal fan, but Bruno is hardly the first Wolves manager to have a blind spot for a player this forum doesn't fancy. RAN will get his chance, if he's as good as we think he is.

We've played 8 league games, you can't tell me Bruno isn't still sussing things out. He probably wants to see things play out for himself, he's not going to read TWF for tips

There's a difference between thinking RAN is the saviour, and wondering why Marcal gets picked game after game when he's been poor. I've only seen the latter.

You gave RAN the saviour tag, no one else.

I really don’t know what to think. I am conflicted. On one hand the performances against Spurs Leicester and Man Utd were really positive and entertaining and I enjoyed everything bar the result. Yet I enjoyed little about today ,78 minutes, Brentford and Saints bar one moment of world class brilliance . Newcastle and Watford were ok but that’s it. So we have a manager and squad capable of playing some great football that doesn’t bring results or some pretty average stuff that does. Makes Fosun and their lack of impetus in the transfer market look all the more strange. That said Bruno looks like he put 20 names in a hat today, drew them out and that was the team. We se to have been extremely lucky today. That won’t happen often. Or maybe it e we I’ll as I have proved today I know squat about football and comebacks

Spurs, Leicester and Manchester United give you the freedom to play - Saints, Brentford, Newcastle, Watford and Villa won't. That's the difference.

There's a difference between thinking RAN is the saviour, and wondering why Marcal gets picked game after game when he's been poor. I've only seen the latter.

You gave RAN the saviour tag, no one else.

When people are saying he's 'ideal for the role' based on very little, or that not picking him is on a par with not picking our best player, then it's a reasonably applied tag imo.

Marcal probably gets picked because RAN isn't showing to Bruno during the week that he's a better option.

We've won 4 out of the past 5 PL games. Still lots of work to do, but it's confidence building and gives Bruno and the players a platform, even if it doesn't please the purists.

Like I said, RAN will get his chance. Let's hope he doesn't have a massive stinker 😉

When people are saying he's 'ideal for the role' based on very little, or that not picking him is on a par with not picking our best player, then it's a reasonably applied tag imo.

Marcal probably gets picked because RAN isn't showing to Bruno during the week that he's a better option.

We've won 4 out of the past 5 PL games. Still lots of work to do, but it's confidence building and gives Bruno and the players a platform, even if it doesn't please the purists.

Like I said, RAN will get his chance. Let's hope he doesn't have a massive stinker 😉
There probably is a bit that Marcal has been poor and the classic 'player who isn't playing gets better every game' going on.

To win 4 out of the last 5 regardless of who the opposition are is no mean feat. Well done Bruno!

Don't you find all this a bit weird Cyber?
No. Incredibly I don’t. Cyber got unnecessarily pilloried but didn’t help himself with some poorly judged poorly aimed comments. The death of a loved one can impair your judgement and make you drink more. It’s life .
Jasper adjusted and is enjoying his time on here so let’s just move forward.

I’d have to say, given the transfer window, and the relatively unknown lage being appointed, 12 points from 8 games, and more impressive 12 from our last 15 available, there’s definitely positives.

I don’t think we were as bad as people are saying today. Thought the first half was quite entertaining, then missed until 79th minute so can’t comment on that. Both teams lacked quality, mind.

regarding Raul, I’d imagine there’s an underlying reason as to why he didn’t start, whether that be jet lag or not otherwise he’s one of first names on team sheet.

I would like to see RAN have a start, as I’m a huge fan of Marcal, who made Cash look like a prime Cafu at times, but RAN is a kid who has promise, his time will come, and whilst we’re getting results it’s neither here no there.

Podence with a great cameo. Issue is though, he did that earlier in season, then started and was awful. He seemed to almost have a free role when he came on. Maybe he’d work behind a front 2 in a 3412.

people can rightly have there worries about the brand of football last few games, but whilst we are getting points, it’s not a huge issue, and more than willing to give Lage, or more importantly Fosun another 2 windows to get the players Lage wants in. That’s really when the judgement will be more stern.

changes seemed abit late for me, but people saying the players dug him out of a hole. Firstly, that’s their job isn’t it, to perform on the pitch? And secondly, maybe Lage has installed some belief in them? Who knows.

I also can’t remember us scoring 3 goals from set pieces in a period of 8 games, let alone 1 game (well, directly or indirectly from keeping ball alive etc)

There probably is a bit that Marcal has been poor and the classic 'player who isn't playing gets better every game' going on.

To win 4 out of the last 5 regardless of who the opposition are is no mean feat. Well done Bruno!

That's a fair assessment.

Like I said at the start, I agree that RAN could potentially be an exciting WB, but I think (for me) playing Marcal is a small stick to prod Bruno with rather than a big one to beat him with

Spurs, Leicester and Manchester United give you the freedom to play - Saints, Brentford, Newcastle, Watford and Villa won't. That's the difference.
Nah, that's just not true. We've been noticably poor with lots of parts of our game since the games you mention.

Running off the ball, pressing as a unit, depth on the pitch and keeping the ball have all got worse as a whole but in patches look good.

I have noticed that when Bruno first started our third person running was excellent, since Watford is been non-existent. That's not an accident.

Today's news of a formation and the insistence of playing Marçal have nothing to do with the other teams you've mentioned.

Last edited:
Back