• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Molineux Joe Mason

Likewise many ex professional footballers are as dense as fuck but blag their way into managerial positions due to their profile rather than their knowledge. They may have played the game without any real understanding of the game.

I often wonder, if their familiarity with the game of ex pros, the set up, dressing room scenarios, familiarity with training routines etc etc, plays too big a part in their qualifications.
A genius who has never played the professional game, seems to me to be at a severe disadvantage purely by familiarity and contacts.

Then again if it was my dressing room and training, especially at Wolves right now, what went before would be right out of the window.

Total balls??? you can pour as much water as you like on a sponge, but it still only ever retains the same amount of water.

Obviously not everyone is going to become a football genius, but if you think that you won't learn more from watching 100 matches vs. watching 50 matches, I really don't know what to tell you.

Obviously not everyone is going to become a football genius, but if you think that you won't learn more from watching 100 matches vs. watching 50 matches, I really don't know what to tell you.

Thousands of fans across the country (including Wolves fans) who have been season ticket holders for years still think 'gerrit forward' is the way to go. The same mindset as they had within their first fifty games.

Then there's Dean Saunders.

I've been watching wolves since 1958, that';s a lot of games (ok not so many recently) but what i know and learned about the game i learned from playing and having the odd decent coach. What have i klearned from watching at the ground or on the telly? at the ground go for a piss, a pint and a pie, five minutes before half time. From playing a lot more,but the most important thing was every game is different on the day, and a lot lot more different on paper beforehand.

If you have a footballing brain, you will learn something from a decent conversation with like minded people in the pub, if you don't, you could spend six years up Alex Ferguson's arse, 24 hours a day, and end up with nothing more than a brown nose.

It's like languages, (I'm sure DW will back me up on this) some people are naturals and others speak a bit of foreign, have a conversation with one or the other, and you will know the difference after the first sentence, assuming you are any good at languages that is.

I meant to add, when watching footie on the telly, are you making your own decisions on the game and opinions, or taking in what the commentators say? Dean saunders comments on football on the telly! just saying like.......

Total balls is that. By definition more exposure to a subject increases knowledge of it.

Sorry Alan, I think you're wrong there. More exposure to a subject just gives you more experience of that subject, not increase knowledge.

I've been watching the NFL on a Sunday night for the last few months, I haven't got a fucking clue what's going on but I think it's great fun.
Which brings me to the conclusion that more you understand a sport and the more knowledgeable you become of it the more it makes you miserable.

Sorry Alan, I think you're wrong there. More exposure to a subject just gives you more experience of that subject, not increase knowledge.

the perfect answer to the cunundrum, well said Dino.

Interesting debate on here. I'm of the opinion that greater exposure increases knowledge but can be hampered by an individual's competency in learning and how accepting they are with new pieces of information that may contradict previous views and emotional investment.

So whilst increased viewing of football can increase footballing knowledge, that doesn't mean we are all experts! Or able to apply the knowledge to new circumstances!

To put it into a schooling theory for a moment. I was pretty fucking good at Maths. I coasted to a B and should have got an A maybe. My mental arithmetic is really good, even if I say so myself.

However I had an absolute mental block with one thing - quadratic equations. I had various teachers try and drill it into me. Friends of my parents who were maths teachers tried to help me outside school. I had a lot of exposure to the theory of the problem. So I would say I was pretty damn well versed in the theory of a quadratic equation. Could I suddenly solve one after all this extra schooling? Nope - my brain just couldn't do it. All the exposure to the knowledge didn't improve my ability in the area.

Interesting debate on here. I'm of the opinion that greater exposure increases knowledge but can be hampered by an individual's competency in learning and how accepting they are with new pieces of information that may contradict previous views and emotional investment.

So whilst increased viewing of football can increase footballing knowledge, that doesn't mean we are all experts! Or able to apply the knowledge to new circumstances!

Nail on head.

I'll add though that I feel strongly that the average supporter's football IQ is higher than it has ever been, due in part to increased exposure/availability of the professional game.

It's like languages, (I'm sure DW will back me up on this) some people are naturals and others speak a bit of foreign, have a conversation with one or the other, and you will know the difference after the first sentence, assuming you are any good at languages that is.

Necessity is what makes a person learn a language quickly. A hungry man will learn a language quicker, than a person who has plenty of money and doesn't depend on speaking a different language to eat.

Necessity is what makes a person learn a language quickly. A hungry man will learn a language quicker, than a person who has plenty of money and doesn't depend on speaking a different language to eat.

Now you see i don't agree with that at all.

I speak French, Spanish and Greek, but not in one of them could I sit down and pass an examination even at basic level.

I learn languages not by books and teachers, but as a mimic. I could sit you down here in Greek and tell you exactly how to build a house, long before i could order you a meal, properly. Mind you i could always order a beer.

Some people learn by studying, Some by mimicking or copying, but whilst i speak Greek as well as i need to, in whatever situation,(including cypro night with the locals in a Taverna) i can't say I am a Greek speaker, and it's the same with football.

You can learn the phrases, describe the play, and discuss formations like a university professor, but if the game isn't in your head or your psyche, it's still just talk, and about as much use as a one legged man at an arse kicking party.

Now you see i don't agree with that at all.

I speak French, Spanish and Greek, but not in one of them could I sit down and pass an examination even at basic level.

I learn languages not by books and teachers, but as a mimic. I could sit you down here in Greek and tell you exactly how to build a house, long before i could order you a meal, properly. Mind you i could always order a beer.

Some people learn by studying, Some by mimicking or copying, but whilst i speak Greek as well as i need to, in whatever situation,(including cypro night with the locals in a Taverna) i can't say I am a Greek speaker, and it's the same with football.

You can learn the phrases, describe the play, and discuss formations like a university professor, but if the game isn't in your head or your psyche, it's still just talk, and about as much use as a one legged man at an arse kicking party.

I'm very good with numbers and when I first met my gf she thought I must be special needs as I demonstrated dividing a low number by a higher one e.g. 4/7 is 0.571428 then replicate. Yes a piece of piss to some - anyhow just trying to show I'm not totally stupid (negotiable) but having fleetingly read most of this thread I'm totally lost by it - I was a skiving little bastard at Northicote and shit at everything else bar basic maths. Sorry if this was boring but to you alas :fingerpoint:

Quadratic equations, and algebra in general, was always something I was pretty good at.

On the Costa there are thousands of Brits, who have lived in Spain for 20 or 30 years. Many only speak basic Spanish or no Spanish at all. Then you have Africans who come here with nothing. They get nothing from the state. They pick up Spanish quickly, because if they don't they won't eat or survive.

Algebra in a maths lesson for me was just a fog, in my technical drawing class using basically the same principles i was a genius. I think interest and reason plays a part, but however much i use my computern now, if it goes wrong, i look for a 12 year old to put me right.

I understood the basic principles of Algebra related to technical drawing, i suppose because i really liked TD

I just think we all have an aptitude or empathy, whether borne of interest or need for some things, and a total disregard for other things.
However forced or 'over learned', some things just do not compute.

Back