• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves: Andy Lonergan

Coming into his prime for a keeper then. Give him a chance Lycan. If I know anything I know a decent keeper. He could be worth 10 points a season on ikeme. At 6 ft 4 he has a good presence too.

How many times have you seen him play?

I'm with Lycan on this one, it's a barmy comparison. I once built the millennium falcon out of Lego but I'll be fucked if I can build a working spaceship.

Goalkeeper's union innit

Personally I think Lonergan is a safe, if uninspired signing. A decent back up at this level. He isn't going to suddenly turn us in to Atletico at the back.

I agree but I think he is better than he is being given credit for . He has a goal in open play to his credit ( which is more than Siggy managed for all last season lol) he has 2 player of the season awards for Preston and whenever I have seen him albeit on the telly he has looked very capable.Give him a chance.

Better than Ikeme from what I have seen although that's not much of an accolade based on last season. Now a striker, LB and LW please Kennith.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Why do people who have played as a Sunday League goalkeeper do this? I played full back for years, doesn't make me an expert on the position.

Why do football fans dismiss signings before they have played even if they have a solid track record? I am not an ex professional true but I did play at a higher level than Sunday league albeit back 30 years.Mourinho didn't play very high but can spot talent and coach a team. Goalkeepers union innit

Not a bad signing for a back up keeper at this level. Ikeme has the ability to improve on his showings from last season if he gets his head down and works hard over the summer. This signing should buck his ideas up a bit and hopefully he comes back with the right mindset to kick on next season and cut out the crap from his game. If he doesn't, Lonergan is a capable understudy.

It's uninspiring but I don't think it's anything to get to worked up about.

Why do football fans dismiss signings before they have played even if they have a solid track record? I am not an ex professional true but I did play at a higher level than Sunday league albeit back 30 years.Mourinho didn't play very high but can spot talent and coach a team. Goalkeepers union innit

I presume you've worked in football all of your life and have all your coaching badges having just compared yourself to Mourinho?

I can tell you flat out you're wrong if you think playing any position gives you the ability to judge a player. And especially as you played 30 years ago and have only seen him on the TV. And I say that as somebody who has been a professional scout for a decade.

So in effect you're talking shit.

I presume you've worked in football all of your life and have all your coaching badges having just compared yourself to Mourinho?

I can tell you flat out you're wrong if you think playing any position gives you the ability to judge a player. And especially as you played 30 years ago and have only seen him on the TV. And I say that as somebody who has been a professional scout for a decade.

So in effect you're talking shit.

200.gif

A PNE fans view on him (made 207 appearances from 2000-2011):

I'd rather have that big, Danish mule we signed (He's talking about Simon Makienok :icon_lol:) in goal than Lonergan, he's shocking.

Some of our fans used to get conned into think he was a capable goalkeeper because he pulls off some spectacular saves now and then, forgetting he's woeful in every other department. Never seen anyone get beaten by long range shots as much as him, purely because he can't move his feet quick enough.

I feel bad slating a fellow Prestonian who is a good pro but I absolutely hated watching him in goal for us.

A slightly more favourable review from a Fulham fan (one season at Craven Cottage):

Lonergan was ok for us tbf but he's only really good enough to be back up. Makes some cracking saves but can't control his box at all. Might not be as much of a problem elsewhere, but with our fragile defence it didn't help....

Inept at dealing with long range shots? He'll fit right in then.

How many times have you seen him play?

I'm with Lycan on this one, it's a barmy comparison. I once built the millennium falcon out of Lego but I'll be fucked if I can build a working spaceship.

:icon_lol:

I need photographic evidence of this Millennium Falcon, Johnny.

So in effect you're talking $#@!.

Professional scout? What sport? Oh wait I have found your picture eagle-scoutx.jpg

Decent as a back up but ideally we should be looking to improve in this area rather than look for an understudy for Carl.

Back