• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves: Craig Dawson

Welcome to Wolves Craig.

Should be a decent signing and fairly cheap as well.

I don't think so. He and Neves are better deeper.

I think we need that typically Spanish/ Barca style midfielder to occupy the 8/10 slot.

That's only because we don't have the players to break the lines from out wide (Sarabia we don't know about of course).

I'm glad we've strengthened the spine with Dawson, Cunha and Lemina. Much needed.
I'd like Matheus to chip in with 1 or 2 before the end of the season, he's certainly capable of that, but it's not what I'd be measuring his performance on.

I was a bit worried whether we would get this over the line 😏

Finally an opportunity to play a proper 4 atb.

Not the Botman we should have had 12 months ago, but this should see us safe

Striker next please…..cheeky €50m for Ramos with option to buy will do it😁

I think we're 1 short.

A goal scoring/ creative midfielder.
While I don’t disagree we need a goal scoring midfielder, I think the squad we have now shouldn’t be fighting relegation come May. I hope and expect us to start to separate ourselves from that fight

I was a bit worried whether we would get this over the line 😏

Finally an opportunity to play a proper 4 atb.

Not the Botman we should have had 12 months ago, but this should see us safe

Striker next please…..cheeky €50m for Ramos with option to buy will do it😁
Missing out on Botman looks more stupid with every minute that goes by without Newcastle conceding. He is a key part of one of the best defensive records in PL history. Toon fans love him, for good reason.

While I don’t disagree we need a goal scoring midfielder, I think the squad we have now shouldn’t be fighting relegation come May. I hope and expect us to start to separate ourselves from that fight
I assumed the goal scoring, creative midfielder was Sarabia.

I assumed the goal scoring, creative midfielder was Sarabia.
He's a forward who mainly plays wide.

I assume Johnny meant a CM who can create and chip in with goals. Like a Dani Olmo type.

He's a forward who mainly plays wide.

I assume Johnny meant a CM who can create and chip in with goals. Like a Dani Olmo type.
Think every time I've seen Olmo he's played as a wide player in a front three.

Think every time I've seen Olmo he's played as a wide player in a front three.

Same. I imagine he can play as a #10 type but we play 433 so it's not really a fit. Cunha looks more natural in the same role so hopefully we see him there in games where we are expecting to dominate the ball.

Same. I imagine he can play as a #10 type but we play 433 so it's not really a fit. Cunha looks more natural in the same role so hopefully we see him there in games where we are expecting to dominate the ball.
He probably could play as a #10 but like you say Wolves don't currently use one, nor do many teams to be honest. Think Wolves need to move away from a three man midfield though, too many similar options that look tidy enough without contributing massively at either end, unless they can improve that I'd just chop the numbers and bring in a player elsewhere that offers more productivity.

He probably could play as a #10 but like you say Wolves don't currently use one, nor do many teams to be honest. Think Wolves need to move away from a three man midfield though, too many similar options that look tidy enough without contributing massively at either end, unless they can improve that I'd just chop the numbers and bring in a player elsewhere that offers more productivity.
Could you scout some more Championship games to source players for a team you don't support?

Also if you don't want to play 4-3-3 and accept that #10s aren't really a thing at the moment...what formation are you suggesting we play?

We definitely did play a 10 to start with today and until we played with Pod-Cunha-Sarabia as a front 3.

We definitely need that Odegaard/ Pedri/ De Bruyne type midfielder who is going to break the lines or create from behind the front man

Either that or Mane 😁

Could you scout some more Championship games to source players for a team you don't support?

Also if you don't want to play 4-3-3 and accept that #10s aren't really a thing at the moment...what formation are you suggesting we play?
I can watch whatever takes my fancy at the time.

442 has looked the best shape under Lopetegui so far from what I've seen, I'd give that more of a go with Hwang and Cunha as the front two for now. Probably Podence and RAN as the wide players as an opening gambit, would try RAN from the right see how he looks coming in onto his stronger foot and opening up space for the overlap, Podence doing the same from the left. Don't know anything of Sarabia to know if he'd fit into that or be good enough elsewhere to warrant a different shape. Ideally I'd want a better forward than Hwang but neither Jimenez nor Costa appear to currently be it so we'll chance his sketchy finishing and hope the movement of him and Cunha creates enough to bag a few somewhere.

There are players around that could easily play in a classic #10 role, Podence done it before with mixed results, apparently both Cunha and Sarabia used that way in the past elsewhere, so you could probably give 4231 a go if you wanted. I don't think any of the forward options currently on the books would be great up top alone right now though so you'd be asking the 10 to get up alongside as often as possible so you're basically back at 442 anyway.

4-4-2 with Rayan Ait-Nouri on the right wing. Excuse me Glenn but I have another call.
Maybe it doesn't work, no harm in trying it, you move onto something else and give it another go. I mean if it's instantly a disaster just swap him and Podence round, haven't even wasted a sub to get people back somewhere they should be comfortable.

I'd rather try something new than just watch the world's flattest midfield taking up over a quarter of the starting line up and wander round like they're tethered to the centre circle.

Back