• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves: Craig Dawson

I think we are a centre forward off 4231 being our best formation, with Cunha in behind.
I agree but would we better in this formation even if relying on Costa or Raul so they don't have to go off hunting for the ball?

Maybe it doesn't work, no harm in trying it, you move onto something else and give it another go. I mean if it's instantly a disaster just swap him and Podence round, haven't even wasted a sub to get people back somewhere they should be comfortable.

I'd rather try something new than just watch the world's flattest midfield taking up over a quarter of the starting line up and wander round like they're tethered to the centre circle.
We simply don't have time to piss around trying random tactics and playing players out of position.
We simply have to play all our best players in their best positions and play better.

Oh and sign a decent keeper.

I think we are a centre forward off 4231 being our best formation, with Cunha in behind.
Could well be, struggle to think of many viable contenders for that 'bit of everything' centre forward to play as the lone forward though.

Not sure how I'd favour things down the flanks in that formation with the current options. Pick wide players that would come narrow and allow fairly unproductive fullbacks the space to overlap with the midfield two staying deep for cover or play more typical wingers with the fullbacks staying conservative and allowing at least one of the deep midfielders to break forward a bit.

We definitely did play a 10 to start with today and until we played with Pod-Cunha-Sarabia as a front 3.

We definitely need that Odegaard/ Pedri/ De Bruyne type midfielder who is going to break the lines or create from behind the front man

Either that or Mane 😁

Not in the traditional sense though, we stick a cm slightly more in front of the sitting two. I'd call it an 8 and half.

I concur on the rest.

We simply don't have time to piss around trying random tactics and playing players out of position.
We simply have to play all our best players in their best positions and play better.

Oh and sign a decent keeper.
What line up does your best players in their best positions give you? Your 11 best individuals isn't necessarily your best team.

Could well be, struggle to think of many viable contenders for that 'bit of everything' centre forward to play as the lone forward though.

Not sure how I'd favour things down the flanks in that formation with the current options. Pick wide players that would come narrow and allow fairly unproductive fullbacks the space to overlap with the midfield two staying deep for cover or play more typical wingers with the fullbacks staying conservative and allowing at least one of the deep midfielders to break forward a bit.
It definitely has limitations, but it'd be making the most out of the squad as it's currently constructed. Bueno can go down the outside, you'd need Semedo to cut in and Cunha or Sarabia to offer the decoy or genuine run outside. As for the player at 9, I watched some of the Cov Norwich game yesterday stylistically Gyokeres is a good fit, might be too big a jump though

What line up does your best players in their best positions give you? Your 11 best individuals isn't necessarily your best team.
Your best 11 individuals in their best positions surely has to be the best place to start? Not fannying about with random square pegs in round holes.

Not in the traditional sense though, we stick a cm slightly more in front of the sitting two. I'd call it an 8 and half.

I concur on the rest.
I look at the little rat faced fucker at Utd too and he's the type of player I'd like too.

Your best 11 individuals in their best positions surely has to be the best place to start? Not fannying about with random square pegs in round holes.

Depends on the balance of your squad doesn't it? Your 11 best individuals perhaps doesn't even cover the entire pitch.

How does that concept play out if you're picking the Wolves team?

Depends on the balance of your squad doesn't it? Your 11 best individuals perhaps doesn't even cover the entire pitch.

How does that concept play out if you're picking the Wolves team?
Not sure if you're just being disingenuous here.
Obviously I mean the best players playing in their best positions means the players we have that are best in their positions, not just our 11 best players.

It definitely has limitations, but it'd be making the most out of the squad as it's currently constructed. Bueno can go down the outside, you'd need Semedo to cut in and Cunha or Sarabia to offer the decoy or genuine run outside. As for the player at 9, I watched some of the Cov Norwich game yesterday stylistically Gyokeres is a good fit, might be too big a jump though

I'd agree with you on Bueno, his delivery looks good and he carries the ball well, so the left of your three could be someone to tuck in and link centrally or hit the box, Podence, Hwang, maybe Sarabia fits that bill? Don't think Semedo suits that though so probably tell him to just be a right back first and foremost with a more natural wide player ahead but pickings are slim there. We know Traore is a crapshoot at the best of times and there has never been any chemistry in that pairing, Neto when he's back fit perhaps the best fit?

Other niggle with that balance between left and right would be Nunes looks best placed to break forward from your two and he favours the left side, so ideally you'd want that fullback to be the reserved one if it ends up a bit lopsided.

Having the squad assembled by a third party really isn't ideal for plotting things out in detail.

Not sure if you're just being disingenuous here.
Obviously I mean the best players playing in their best positions means the players we have that are best in their positions, not just our 11 best players.

You said pick your best 11 players in their best positions twice, that's not me being disingenuous.

I think what you're now advocating is picking a formation and picking the best player for each position, so you need to decide what formation you want first and then narrow down the players. So again, if you're the Wolves manager how does that idea look on a teamsheet?

I look at the little rat faced fucker at Utd too and he's the type of player I'd like too.

No tar. Maybe it's the fact I hate his face so much that clouds me but I think he's overrated to fuck. Eriksen is twice the player.

You said pick your best 11 players in their best positions twice, that's not me being disingenuous.

I think what you're now advocating is picking a formation and picking the best player for each position, so you need to decide what formation you want first and then narrow down the players. So again, if you're the Wolves manager how does that idea look on a teamsheet?
I know I said it twice, here goes again I don't understand what you're not understanding?
Anyway I'm leaving this conversation as it's cluttering up the wrong thread.

Literally every comment on there is gutted he’s gone.

I think this is a really astute piece of business. Walks in to the starting 11, is experienced, knows the league, homegrown, didn’t break the bank, dangerous on set pieces, and knows the ‘dark arts’, which people always hate when it’s against you, but when it’s in your 11, that’s what brings fans together.

Really happy with this one. Welcome, Craig.
More bloody moaning from me here, @Johnny75

You crack on though, pal. Apologies for not having the hindsight that you’d got out of bed the wrong side this morning xx

Back