• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves - Jean-Ricner Bellegarde

I think given our circumstances, which is by their choice and their design, they think they’ve appointed the best man.

Good politician's answer ;)

Obviously they trust their own judgement, why do you trust it? What on earth have they done lately to earn that?

The club's employees (not including Shi) dealt the hand they had been played very well in the circumstances. 2 of the 4 signings this week have obviously been looked at extensively before, then other two Santi and Doyle appear to represent very good value.

If we had offloaded Nunes earlier and these were the four additions as a result I would probably be looking at the window with optimism if not excitement.

People see different things, I was underwhelmed by Nunes and i continue to be underwhelmed by B Traore. I don't get the hate for Kilman.

But let's be honest, the only opinion that really matters is Johnny75....

Well that's pretty bollocks isn't it? Del said categorically that O'Neil can't coach attacking play and all I said was that's a bit of an assumption. You stuck your oar in being all high and mighty as you do and decided that I'd adopted a position that I hadn't. Off to ignore you go, you tiresome little man.

All I did was counsel against making great claims for someone based on no evidence. Seems pretty reasonable to me, but I guess to some that's rabid negativity worthy of derision and blocking 🤷‍♂️

Don't quite understand the GON bashing tbh. He may not be the greatest PL manager but after Lop threw a tantrum and pissed off so close to the start of the season, who should we have appointed (with the mention of no funds).
Give the guy a chance and judge him him after a dozen or so games.

... which no one said.

People mentioned Lop too. Almost as if our current and ex manager are relevant in many discussions
Not in a thread welcoming a new player.
Jonnie has said GON is useless in every thread

I have little idea what you're even arguing about now?

I don't have a problem with players like Dawson (in fact I've argued recently that we're too quick to dismiss players like that) or Reed, and I'm generally fine with the signings, especially as they were so late in the day. I just don't think it tips the window beyond 'average'at best. Certainly not an extreme or negative viewpoint worthy of one of your 'derision'. And if you can't see how 'cheap', 'punt' and 'cheap punt' are three distinct categories then I'm not going to explain it to you.

My stance is simple; when managers and players are unheralded, with unknown or limited profiles and experience, it makes more sense to presume that most will be pretty average, which usually turns out to be the case. That's a pretty mild viewpoint. If it were a negative viewpoint, I'd have said managers and players like that are total shit and bound to fail.

Del was hinting at O'Neil's likely average qualities when talking about training, Dire Wolf took exception to that, and I put my two penneth in. Until I see otherwise, I don't see how it's likely at this stage that O'Neil is some kind of mini-Pep that no-one else in football has spotted except Matt Hobbs, and he's going to come in after an experienced Lop team and tear the place up. Of course, in time he may have a high ceiling, none of us know that so it's a pointless avenue to consider with zero evidence.

Now, the crux of the matter is this; if you're saying you feel it's likely that GON and the new signings are more likely to be above average, and even excellent, then what is behind that thought process? What that has gone on at Wolves in the past few years that would lead anyone to confidently believe that the senior team at Wolves are so on the ball that they can recognise and acquire low/no profile managers and players that have the potential to be top PL competitors? They will stumble across some for sure, just like some acquisitions that look great on paper just don't work, but they've done nothing to engender such confidence.

If anything, I'd suggest a healthy cynicism towards everything they do would be more appropriate for Wolves fans?

I don't think Del was hinting at average qualities at all, he outright said he didn't think O'Neil was capable of a fundamental part of the job!

You don't see it likely that Hobbs has seen something that no-one has seen, great, that's your choice but it's hardly like there's an extensive track record to suggest he's definitely one thing or the other yet is there? One season with one of the worst squads this level has seen and a handful of games at Wolves isn't much to judge by. Who's to say other clubs haven't seen things they like out just want a bit more time to judge? I mean it's not like clubs generally change manager every 5 minutes for it to be out to the test all that often. It might be that Wolves were the only ones who like him or it might just be that they've gone early and beat others to the punch. Either way has no bearing on his success or failure in this role, only time will tell on that.

I haven't said, nor have I seen anyone else that I recall, believe O'Neil is going to be above average or whatever measure you want to consider overly positive. There have just been a bunch of people who whilst not over the moon are willing to see how it plays out. You choose to have a negative expectation, that's your prerogative, others have chose not to have any expectation.

Not in a thread welcoming a new player.

Sorry, thread police. Discussions diverge. We were hardly talking about horticulture or euthanasia. Our head coach came up in the conversation, big wow.

Are you going to moan at the people who mentioned Lopetegui too?

Good politician's answer ;)

Obviously they trust their own judgement, why do you trust it? What on earth have they done lately to earn that?

They haven’t earned anything from me. I’m just giving GON the benefit of the doubt until he convinces me either way.

That's long enough... 😂

Christ are we stuck in some personal Bear Kingdom?

Back