• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves Ruben Neves

Put it this way. Brighton have lost Mac Allister, might lose Caicedo and Colwill might not come back.

If they slip to say, 10th next season (Spurs and Chelsea won't be as poor again, surely) and don't win a trophy, and De Zerbi leaves shortly after, have they "not capitalised" or was that always going to happen?

It made no sense in the context of what I was saying though did it?

Like saying Roger Johnson and JOH were seen as good signings at the time, they were. But actually they totally weren't and were a huge part of why we went down the following season.

Using fans support for signings as an argument against someone saying we failed to capitalise on being in a good position after two 7th placed finishes doesn't make sense.

Also there were plenty at the time who thought £35mill on a 17/18 year old who'd barely played a pro game was stupid.
My mistake, I read it as if he was saying ‘we thought we were capitalising, ironic how it’s turned out’

Anyway, let’s move on

Put it this way. Brighton have lost Mac Allister, might lose Caicedo and Colwill might not come back.

If they slip to say, 10th next season (Spurs and Chelsea won't be as poor again, surely) and don't win a trophy, and De Zerbi leaves shortly after, have they "not capitalised" or was that always going to happen?

We'd finished 7th twice though, including one season of European football. If they did that next year then the season after were immensely lucky to scrape into 10th I'd agree they haven't capitalised.

To have 'capitalised' we would have needed to added three or four quality players to the squad, not sold Doherty, and not sold Jota, kept Rui...
We could not have maintained the initial success with such a small squad, playing the number of games that we did. Simply impossible.
We could not have continued the success by sticking rigidly to one formation either. Opposition soon work you out.
I think Nuno was very fortunate the way things fell into place, with very few injuries. We've been nothing but unfortunate since. Neto, Johnny, Raul.. Sasa even.
These things happen.

I think the league is slightly different now, as teams like villa, Brentford etc have achieved a lot this year and more teams seem to have money.

I’d say with Brighton (they’re probably even more of a selling club than us) they will want to be finishing 10/11 or above, and solidify themselves there. It’s doubtful they will be a more attractive proposition than they are now.

The issue with Wolves and ‘capitalising’ I’d suggest was we were our most recent height of attractiveness to players, and we continuously bought poorly.

Capitalising doesn’t necessarily means finishing higher each year, but improving and ensuring stability going forward

To have 'capitalised' we would have needed to added three or four quality players to the squad, not sold Doherty, and not sold Jota, kept Rui...
We could not have maintained the initial success with such a small squad, playing the number of games that we did. Simply impossible.
We could not have continued the success by sticking rigidly to one formation either. Opposition soon work you out.
I think Nuno was very fortunate the way things fell into place, with very few injuries. We've been nothing but unfortunate since. Neto, Johnny, Raul.. Sasa even.
These things happen.
Only the truly dense would have kept Doherty.

Jota was always leaving for Liverpool once they came in for him.

To capitalise would have been to get a better squad using their transfer fees.

Jeff wasted that opportunity.

Doc in a back 4 would be a disaster.

For examples: most of his games played at RB for us.
Fair comment, I wouldnt be playing a back four every game necessarily.
I thought we were talking about capitalising on earlier success. Impossible with a first team squad of 18 playing 50+ games a season.
Anyway it's water under the bridge now 👍

Ask Leicester about capitalising on success.

From winning the league in 15/16, to missing out on Champions League twice by a single place, to relegated within two more seasons.

Ask Leicester about capitalising on success.

From winning the league in 15/16, to missing out on Champions League twice by a single place, to relegated within two more seasons.
By those margins Fosun are doing an unbelievable job

#infosunwetrust

Back