• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves x2: Cameron Borthwick-Jackson and Ola John

Personally, I think that Doherty is a poor defender. In fact at times he is awful.

He plays better when he can run forward and cut in onto his right foot, and he gets up well to head a ball.

Watch the difference to the midfield when a proper defender plays at left-back.

I think his positioning is (oddly) far better at left back. And he is allowing far less crosses - which was a key criticism of his defensive play.

I don't like the theory that the BJ signing means Doherty will play right back. He's been awful there since he's been at the club. It makes zero sense why he works at left back, but it does so leave him there or drop him

Doherty is Left back or dropped for me but his early season form does make him harder to shift! WZ does like to rotate so maybe that will be the key. Playing 2 of Doherty Iorfa CBJ and Silvio when fit could keep most happy with lots of midweek games .

Even the reserve team looks a lot stronger now. I still dont think we are finished in the market. Still a few to leave us as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Calling for Hause to be dropped in favor of Doherty is bloody nonsense. Even if Hause doesn't develop as we hope, he's already miles better than Doherty at just about anything involving a football.

If it turns out that we play a Doc - Iorfa - Batth - Bojack defense, I'll be pretty annoyed, even if we churn out a bunch of clean sheets.

Why? :icon_confused:
Because I feel that Doherty is already at his absolute ceiling. Hause, for all his mistakes thus far for us, has loads of upside if he applies himself. I'd hate to see that potential overidden by a player who we can be sure is not EPL quality.

Wolves getting clean sheets is the aim no matter who plays. Hause is still young with the ability to improve but he's never going to be a top Premier League player in his position like some people seem to believe.

I think the back 4 you posted has a good chance of becoming the starting defence as Zenga already dropped Hause after 2 quite poor performances vs Rotherham and in the cup game.

Over a 46 game season though they will all get games and Hause has an advantage that he can play 2 positions.

Silvio will play over Doherty when he's fit if Zenga intends on moving Iorfa inside.

Fully expect Silvio to be rotated at RB with Iorfa (Iorfa either being moved inside to CB or rested completely when Silvio plays). Likewise with Doherty on the otherside & CBJ. CBJ (and Utd) will want him to feature as much as possible, but it's unrealistic to think he can come here and play circa 50 competitive games without some sort of rotation, when he's never played that regularly in his career before.

Silvio/Iorfa one side, Doherty/CBJ the other side - for this level, that's a ridiculous level of quality to choose from (go and have a look at the squads of the other teams!).

Hause, I imagine - will start most games at CB alongside Batth but will equally be rotated (like everyone else) once Williamson is back fit and when Iorfa is moved inside. It leaves Walt with some great options across the back line.

On a separate note, I was chatting to a season ticket holder for Reading yesterday and he told me he loved Ola John. He was gutted they didn't get him back and said whilst he can be inconsistent - a trait of most wingers in this league - he also has the ability to turn a game on it's head. A certain Mr. Sako had very similar characteristics and the Wolves fans ended up loving him.

I hope Wolves have taken Cameron Borthwick-Jackson to play left sided centre back because where you use such a massive talent can have a direct bearing on your league position. Either position though centre back or left back he will be the best in the Championship. Impressive signing.

Sako wasn't inconsistent.

Not in his last two seasons. He was at the heart of pretty much everything. Within games he'd have a dodgy spell perhaps, but who doesn't.

Not in his last two seasons. He was at the heart of pretty much everything. Within games he'd have a dodgy spell perhaps, but who doesn't.

His last season maybe. The first 2/3 of the L1 season he was VERY inconsistent. I'll never forget the appalling abuse he got away at Rotherham, for example. I wonder if the pondlife who called him every name under the sun when he dared to come and applaud the fans at full time was pleased when he left...?

His last season maybe. The first 2/3 of the L1 season he was VERY inconsistent. I'll never forget the appalling abuse he got away at Rotherham, for example. I wonder if the pondlife who called him every name under the sun when he dared to come and applaud the fans at full time was pleased when he left...?

There's more than a few posters on here (not really active anymore) who slated Sako for his lack of ability. I know the game is about opinions but that was so out of whack.

As for Ola John, we can only hope he is like Sako.

I hope Wolves have taken Cameron Borthwick-Jackson to play left sided centre back because where you use such a massive talent can have a direct bearing on your league position. Either position though centre back or left back he will be the best in the Championship. Impressive signing.

Yep, you'd say that's at least one player we're going to get in the PFA team of the season...

There's more than a few posters on here (not really active anymore) who slated Sako for his lack of ability. I know the game is about opinions but that was so out of whack.

As for Ola John, we can only hope he is like Sako.

Yeah they were just plain wrong. Sako could frustrate because we knew what he was capable of when he was on form. He was great and I'd have him back here in a heartbeat.

Sako was all over the place in League 1 until we got to January. He was dropped at the start of the month but he got back and clicked with Dicko and from them on he was pretty much superb

Back