• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

What is it with Beards?

D

Deleted Cyber

Ok I haver never been known as a follower of fashion but the current penchant for full facial hair I must say disturbs me. Poor Stears looks like a marmoset while Henry and Jacobs are trying to do impressions of Victorian Dad. I know its 100 years since WW1 started but has this fashion really come back round? It makes them all look 10 years older too! A small Goatee or designer stubble I get but a full set of Abraham Lincoln style facial fungus is beyond my comprension. What do you think? Great fashion statement or ridiculous fashion accessory?

I started growing my beard as soon as I finished Movember. Never had one before. Though mine is much smarter than any of the players, with the possible exception of Jack Price, who I think suits his.

Dunno why I like mine but I'm not shaving it off anytime soon. Until November 1st obvs.

I've had a full beard for as long as I can remember. It's lazy geek chic my friend. Go with it, or let it pass you by. Oh, and goatees haven't been cool since 1994.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Langers's face is so hairy you could rotate his head 180 degrees and not notice the difference.

Langers's face is so hairy you could rotate his head 180 degrees and not notice the difference.

True dat. I often thought people spoke to the back of my head because they were rude.

I've had a full beard for as long as I can remember. It's lazy geek chic my friend. Go with it, or let it pass you by. Oh, and goatees haven't been cool since 1994.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Bloody hell man - turn that annoying sig off when you're using Tapatalk!!

Has Beckham had one recently?, that would explain it all.

Never heard of him but a quick google always helps.

Nah, i would say more Paul McCartney circa 1970.

Nooooo. I actually trim my beard to remain fashunabble innit.

Only two people I know have said they don't like it. My nan (who hates beards) and my brother (because he loves any opportunity to insult me). Everyone else either likes it or is too polite to say otherwise.

Nooooo. I actually trim my beard to remain fashunabble innit.

Only two people I know have said they don't like it. My nan (who hates beards) and my brother (because he loves any opportunity to insult me). Everyone else either likes it or is too polite to say otherwise.

Usually, your family will say what others are thinking.

Haven't been clean shaven in over two years and regularly rock a beard of some sort. Provided it's tidy and the missus doesn't mind, what's the problem?

Always had a beard. Just couldn't be arsed shaving. then 1 day I shaved it all off and my 1st wife slapped me across my clean chin and said, "Grow it back, and never do that again!"
So I grew it back.

I've got a little round shapeless face, so it adds a bit of character. A tiny bit....

Am now 48, very few grey hairs on my head(had an easy life), but my beard appears a sort of grey / ginger hybrid !

Plus the wife thinks I look like a rapist tramp ??

Beards, you either love them or hate them ( speaking as a woman and not of a grower of one ) bit like Marmite really.

Why would you want to grow something that changes the shape of your head /face into the shape of a football. It widens your face, hides your cheekbones, jaw line and you lose the angles to your face . Do you grow it as some kind of mask to hide behind. Does it give you more confidence as a person ? They give out a ' lazy person ' alert and someone who hates shaving ( and yes I'm sure a beard takes some grooming , but not the same kind of grooming ) . For people who have never grown one then decide to, they spell out ' mid life crisis ' . Then there's the kissing , its nasty. But then if you don't go round having long, full blown, snogging sessions with women then that's not a problem. They don't make you look charismatic, nor distinguished, they make you look a lot older than your years .

On the plus side for having one, they can hide scars. You can hide what is there. They provide homes for wildlife and bits of food for later. They mean you get 15 minutes extra in bed before work. They hide double chins .

Do some men grow them as its one of the few things a man can do that a woman can't ( unless you live near Pav and are fortunate to be one of the bearded ladies )

Smooth is the only way , for male and female, well , unless you happen to be Chris Pine or Sean Connery.

Been bearded for 42 years now - various degrees of hairiness over the years, but kept short now (number 2 cut) & sculptured. As for grooming it takes as much effort/time as shaving every day, so no time saving & not long enough to keep spare food in!

Not a fashion statement any more, but more from habit and recognition purposes. Only shaved it off once during that period and both my wife of the time and both children asked me to grow it back as they didn't recognise me having never seen me without (not sure what that tells me about my natural looks though :facepalm:)

As to making you look older I've got to an age when it probably wouldn't make much difference whether I had a beard or not.

I have a goatee occasionally. Mainly through laziness. Not at the moment though.

Can't grow a full beard, it grows in patches and I look like a pikey. Or if you like, even more like a pikey given that I'm not getting my hair cut until we lose (or the end of the season, whichever comes first).

Back