• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Where will we finish 2019/20 Version 2

Where we will Wolves finish

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Our small squad and how quickly the games come at us might have an impact, but for now, I've gone for 6th.

We've had the games thick and fast all season, don't think it will be an issue and the rest will have done is good

Our small squad and how quickly the games come at us might have an impact, but for now, I've gone for 6th.

That was my wonder as well. Also so hard to judge with such a gap between games with no form to speak of, could come out of it raring to go or sluggish. Schedules look to be relatively similar in strength with sheffield/tottenham after a cursory look.

I'm gonna go 7th.

Average position of teams we have left to play is something like 12.4 from what I read. That isn’t too shabby.

It’s 11.8 apparently.

Better than everyone chasing us. Slightly worse than Chelsea or United.

It's the third easiest schedule. I think after the first 4/5 groups of games you are going to start to see some very one sided ones. Teams with nothing to play for won't have fans to keep them honest and with the new season starting a couple of weeks later they'll want to keep players fresh for that.

We don't usually hit the ground running. Spurs are due a good run.

7th. Any worse would be disappointing, any better a bonus.

I've dared to dream and predicted none Wolves results to the end of the season (We beat Arsenal and draw with Chelsea). This is what I got:
3 Man U 68
4 Leicester 65
5 Chelsea 64
6 Spurs 62
7 Arsenal 56

So assuming we won't have GD on anyone, points needed for...
3rd 18 (6 Wins)
4th 14 (4 Wins 2 Draws)
5th 13 (4 Wins 1 Draw 1 Defeat, although that can't be to Chelsea)
6th 11 (3 Wins, 2 Draws, 1 Defeat)

Man U and Spurs have some favourable fixtures:
Leicester - Palace, Arsenal, Bournemouth, Sheff U, Spurs, Man U (3,1,2)
Chelsea - Watford, Palace, Sheff U, Norwich, Liverpool, Wolves (2,4,0)
Man U - Bournemouth, Villa, Southampton, Palace, West Ham, Leicester (5,1,0)
Arsenal - Wolves, Leicester, Spurs, Liverpool, Villa, Watford (3,1,2)
Spurs - Sheff U, Everton, Bournemouth, Arsenal, Newcastle, Leicester, Palace (5,2,0)

Having seen the restart, I reckon we finish fifth. United third, Chelsea fourth, Leicester sixth.

I can't see us overhauling Man United, given their fixtures, the fact that some teams (Brighton) seem to be on the beach already and that obviously VAR will be playing for them. I think 6th would represent a hugely successful season with say, the quarters or semis of the Europa league. I reckon if Spurs drop points tonight that should see us safely in 6th: for me, anything after that is a bonus

I've dared to dream and predicted none Wolves results to the end of the season (We beat Arsenal and draw with Chelsea). This is what I got:
3 Man U 68
4 Leicester 65
5 Chelsea 64
6 Spurs 62
7 Arsenal 56

So assuming we won't have GD on anyone, points needed for...
3rd 18 (6 Wins)
4th 14 (4 Wins 2 Draws)
5th 13 (4 Wins 1 Draw 1 Defeat, although that can't be to Chelsea)
6th 11 (3 Wins, 2 Draws, 1 Defeat)

Man U and Spurs have some favourable fixtures:
Leicester - Palace, Arsenal, Bournemouth, Sheff U, Spurs, Man U (3,1,2)
Chelsea - Watford, Palace, Sheff U, Norwich, Liverpool, Wolves (2,4,0)
Man U - Bournemouth, Villa, Southampton, Palace, West Ham, Leicester (5,1,0)
Arsenal - Wolves, Leicester, Spurs, Liverpool, Villa, Watford (3,1,2)
Spurs - Sheff U, Everton, Bournemouth, Arsenal, Newcastle, Leicester, Palace (5,2,0)

I reckon you may have been quite generous for Spurs and United (though understand their fixtures are very favourable). Spurs have a stupid result or two in them, I don't really know what Mourinho's plan is with them, and I think it only takes one dodgy result to cause a wobble for United. They may benefit from playing behind closed doors if that happens mind you.

Before the restart I had us down for about 56-58 points, I think we will now get 61-62. 18-19 points over 9 games would be such an impressive finish to the season.

I think 6th would represent a hugely successful season with say, the quarters or semis of the Europa league.

Agreed. To improve on last season's finish would be fantastic, even without the run we've had in Europe. Anything more than that would be ridiculous, really. I'm not thinking too much about the CL because it almost seems beyond comprehension that we're in the mix for those places.

At the start of the season I'd have snapped your hand off for 6th and a run in Europe. I've loved the whole European adventure so will be delighted to be in Europe next year no matter which competition it is in.

Having said that, it would be frustrating to miss out on the Champions League knowing that we just needed to turn a couple of those draws into wins.

Whatever happens, this is the best season I've had as a Wolves fan (pandemic aside) and I thought it would be hard to top last year and the year before.

6th place and europa quarter finals is a brilliant season, absolutely brilliant. But missing out on the CL by 2-3 points would be heartbreaking.

If we get champions league this season it could be HUGE. I imagine FFP will have to be relaxed given the disruption to clubs' incomes which will give Fosun an opportunity to invest big money; they've moaned about FFP getting in the way of investment previously, I don't think for a second that they wouldn't take advantage of any relaxing massively. Being able to offer champions league football will make that money a lot easier to spend. Huge, huge opportunity to steal yet another few years on their plan for the club

Think you have been very generous to Spurs there Tony. I agree about Man United though, on current form and their fixture list I expect them to do well. I fancy Man Utd for 3rd; between us, Chelsea, and Leicester for 4th. Right now I think we will get 5th and Leicester 6th. The fact we are in this conversation is amazing.

Man Utd will finish 3rd, not even a debate. Easy games and Pogba, Fernandes, Rashford and Martial are seeing off those teams easy. Wouldn’t be suprised to see them win out.

Leicester are in free fall, Chelsea hit and miss all season.

I can’t see us finishing below 6th without a complete collapse. Win the next two and it’s firmly in our hands for 4th and we could theoretically go into the last day only needing a point. But even if we go into the last game needing a win I’ll take that now. Palace and Burnley will be on the beach, Everton hit and miss, Sheff Utd wheels are off. This time next week it will be a lot clearer.

Everton is the game that concerns me, they seem to have picked up quite a bit under CA.

Back