• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Whisk(e)y

Maker's Mark is my go-to. I always mean to try a good Scotch or Irish but to be honest I've no idea where to start with them.

More of a tequila man, anyway.

Green Spot or Redbreast 12 are my favourites from Ireland.

As for Scotch, start with a Speyside or Highland (Glenfarclas, Balvenie, Glenfiddich, Dalmore etc) and then work your way up to a smoke bomb like Ardbeg or Laphroig.

If you dive in at the deep end you could easily end up putting yourself off whisky but once you acquire a taste for peat then there's no going back.

Are there any good Florida Bourbons?

I'm not a great fan to be honest although I've normally got a bottle in the house obtained via a gift or work.

The favourite one that I've had would be a bottle of Sherry Cask Glenmorangie as the aroma was something else. I'd pour some and spend the evening with my nose in the glass rather than drinking it!

I just find them too harsh they hurt me throat. Name a nice smooth one for a novice?

Was it a 'blended' whisky that was too harsh for your throat. Most of these need a mixer to enjoy.
You would find a 'single malt' whisky a lot smoother. Get family and friends to buy you samplers or miniatures so you can try different ones.

Personally, I am now, and have been for some years, a Jack Daniel fan.

There is a lot of good advice on here, but whatever you do, don't give up, as somewhere there will be a whisk(e)y for you.

Used to drink a fair bit of Whisky but now I seem to get chronic heartburn when drinking it.

Ok with a mixer (so stick with JD) but neat is a killer at the mo.

Tried a Japanese whisky a few years back and that was so smooth and one of the best I had tried.

Green Spot or Redbreast 12 are my favourites from Ireland.

As for Scotch, start with a Speyside or Highland (Glenfarclas, Balvenie, Glenfiddich, Dalmore etc) and then work your way up to a smoke bomb like Ardbeg or Laphroig.

If you dive in at the deep end you could easily end up putting yourself off whisky but once you acquire a taste for peat then there's no going back.

There may be some good bourbons made in Florida but there's nothing in the US that matches the true geographic ubiquity of Irish and Scotch whiskeys (apart from Tennessee whiskey, which by law here must be charcoal filtered).

Not even heard of a lot of these mentioned on this thread, but will look out for them when I'm over in Jan. Here, people tend to drink more bourbon, and the choice of whiskies is limited.

Out of all those mentioned, Isle Of Jura, I remember us buying a bottle at Christmastime once, that one I did like the taste of but still had to put a drop of mixer in it. Can't stand the taste of Bells or Grouse.

The suggestion of samplers and miniature bottles is a good idea, that way if I don't like them, well, I'm gonna have one hell of a Christmas cake! :)

Good thread by the way.

There may be some good bourbons made in Florida but there's nothing in the US that matches the true geographic ubiquity of Irish and Scotch whiskeys (apart from Tennessee whiskey, which by law here must be charcoal filtered).

Oh yeah, I know. I think most newish American distilleries source their bourbon from MGP anyway (not necessarily a bad thing). I just couldn't think of any from Florida off the top of my head.

Not even heard of a lot of these mentioned on this thread, but will look out for them when I'm over in Jan. Here, people tend to drink more bourbon, and the choice of whiskies is limited.

Out of all those mentioned, Isle Of Jura, I remember us buying a bottle at Christmastime once, that one I did like the taste of but still had to put a drop of mixer in it. Can't stand the taste of Bells or Grouse.

The suggestion of samplers and miniature bottles is a good idea, that way if I don't like them, well, I'm gonna have one hell of a Christmas cake! :)

Good thread by the way.

Yeah, Bells, Grouse etc aren't great. There are some brilliant budget blended whiskys out there though, Monkey Shoulder, Black Bottle & Johnnie Walker Double Black are fantastic and can stand up to a lot of single malts.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/

These guys do little taster kits with 5 3oz bottles which could be quite good for a beginner. You can do a 'build your own' taster kit or pick one of the pre-set boxes.

On my recent trip to Michigan, traveled the whole state of Kentucky, was told only Kentucky can truly call its bourbon "bourbon". Anywhere else it has to be called Bourbon Whiskey or Whiskey Bourbon.

And on that recent trip (Not really a spirit drinker) but my colleague tempted me to some fireball and Jack Fire, which have the cinnamon overtones which makes it slightly more manageable.

On my recent trip to Michigan, traveled the whole state of Kentucky, was told only Kentucky can truly call its bourbon "bourbon". Anywhere else it has to be called Bourbon Whiskey or Whiskey Bourbon.

And on that recent trip (Not really a spirit drinker) but my colleague tempted me to some fireball and Jack Fire, which have the cinnamon overtones which makes it slightly more manageable.

I don't think that's right. As long as it's from USA, over 50% corn & aged in new American oak barrels for at least 3 years then it can be called Bourbon. You might find a few Kentuckians who disagree with that but it's not a legal term like Scotch which can only be called that if it's from Scotland.

Oh yeah, I know. I think most newish American distilleries source their bourbon from MGP anyway (not necessarily a bad thing). I just couldn't think of any from Florida off the top of my head.

Yeah, Bells, Grouse etc aren't great. There are some brilliant budget blended whiskys out there though, Monkey Shoulder, Black Bottle & Johnnie Walker Double Black are fantastic and can stand up to a lot of single malts.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/

These guys do little taster kits with 5 3oz bottles which could be quite good for a beginner. You can do a 'build your own' taster kit or pick one of the pre-set boxes.

Thanks for that link Lycan, what a great idea. Those Advent calendars look interesting :)

Glenmorangie and Talisker in at the moment, I’ve not drunk much whisky over the summer really. I’ll nail some over Christmas though, just can’t decide what to buy next.

The old man loves Talisker and Laphroig. I can't stand either, too strong, tastes like toilet cleaner to me!

I do like Jameson 12 yr old though, its aged in old Sherry casks and you can really taste it.

The old man loves Talisker and Laphroig. I can't stand either, too strong, tastes like toilet cleaner to me!

I do like Jameson 12 yr old though, its aged in old Sherry casks and you can really taste it.

You should try to get your hands on GlenDronach 12. Massive Sherry bomb.

Might have to treat myself to a bottle of Monkey Shoulder and give that a whirl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not touched any whisky for at least 6 months, but this thread has inspired me. Cracked open a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 year old single malt, very nice and must be quite smooth as I'm able to drink it as it comes.

Not touched any whisky for at least 6 months, but this thread has inspired me. Cracked open a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 year old single malt, very nice and must be quite smooth as I'm able to drink it as it comes.

Very nice.

Not been a spirit drinker for many years, but ran out of wine & had a bottle of Glenmorangie in the cupboard (plus a bottle of Glenfidditch, though feck knows how much that has aged since I got it)

Opened the former as wanted another drink - much smoother than I remember (could be my Dad's fault. Always had a Drambuie after his evening meal & got me to partake when I was 14 - probably not the age to get a taste for it!)

I am a Bourban drinker or Tennesee whiskey.

My favourite is Jack Daniels No3 blend. Dangerously smooth.
Jim Beam Single Barrel and Gentleman Jack are also lovely.
Wild Turkey is ok, if you get it as a present but not my " go to" even on offer.
Red stag is a bit sweet for me.
Woodford reserve , smooth and tangy
Makers Mark,nice enough

I dont like Buffalo trace much and as for the cheap ones I cannot abide the Aldi Clarkes 1866. Sharp as nails. If you have to go cheap either look for JD or Jim Beam on offer in the supermarket ( £15 a bottle in tesco currently) or LIDL Western Gold- acceptable and mixes well with Pepsi. Oh its always Pepsi, never Coke. Coke sucks!

I dont do scotch at all or irish whiskey or Rye whiskey. It has to be a corn mash generally for me it seems.

Back