• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Whisk(e)y

I am a Bourban drinker or Tennesee whiskey.

My favourite is Jack Daniels No3 blend. Dangerously smooth.
Jim Beam Single Barrel and Gentleman Jack are also lovely.
Wild Turkey is ok, if you get it as a present but not my " go to" even on offer.
Red stag is a bit sweet for me.
Woodford reserve , smooth and tangy
Makers Mark,nice enough

I dont like Buffalo trace much and as for the cheap ones I cannot abide the Aldi Clarkes 1866. Sharp as nails. If you have to go cheap either look for JD or Jim Beam on offer in the supermarket ( £15 a bottle in tesco currently) or LIDL Western Gold- acceptable and mixes well with Pepsi. Oh its always Pepsi, never Coke. Coke sucks!

I dont do scotch at all or irish whiskey or Rye whiskey. It has to be a corn mash generally for me it seems.

I just find that new oak taste in bourbon a bit harsh for my taste. The only ones I buy regularly are Bulleit or Four Roses. Relatively cheap (£22 from Tesco or £26 from M&S respectively)and very easy drinking while not being boring at all.

One of my locals sometimes has a bottle of Blanton's Gold on the shelf though and that is a simply brilliant whiskey. Really cool bottle too. I'd looked at buying one for myself but it's £50+ a bottle and I'd only ever spend that much on Scotch/Irish.

Sorted out my whisky for the Xmas period today, got a bottle of Green Spot and an Ardbeg 10. Might buy a cheaper bottle as well incase I end up needing to share.

I just find that new oak taste in bourbon a bit harsh for my taste. The only ones I buy regularly are Bulleit or Four Roses. Relatively cheap (£22 from Tesco or £26 from M&S respectively)and very easy drinking while not being boring at all.

One of my locals sometimes has a bottle of Blanton's Gold on the shelf though and that is a simply brilliant whiskey. Really cool bottle too. I'd looked at buying one for myself but it's £50+ a bottle and I'd only ever spend that much on Scotch/Irish.

Sorted out my whisky for the Xmas period today, got a bottle of Green Spot and an Ardbeg 10. Might buy a cheaper bottle as well incase I end up needing to share.

I feel like a big piss head today. I have been quietly accumulating stock over the last couple of months as the supermarkets have been giving some great offers. On checking, my cabinet contained
1. Bottle JD master distiller no 3
2. 1 litre JD no 7
3. Bottle of Red stag Jim Beam- open
4. Bottle of Woodford Reserve
5. Bottle of Tanquery Gin
6 Bottle of Hortus Gin
7. 2 x bottle Taylors special reserve Port
8. Bottle of Jaegermiester.

Thats this week sorted then lol!

The old man loves Talisker and Laphroig. I can't stand either, too strong, tastes like toilet cleaner to me!

I do like Jameson 12 yr old though, its aged in old Sherry casks and you can really taste it.

I'll fucking give you 'the old man!' But yes, those two + and of that have been aged or a nice bottle of Connemara Peated is just a lovely drop.
Comes from the Cooley Distillery at the foot of the Mountains of Mourne. You can get that aged as well.
If any of you guys want a really soft dram, and it's Irish, but it'll cost you... get you hands on a bottle of Midleton. You get the usual togged up stuff, A lovely wooden display box, a certificate, an acknowledgement that someone is faithfully writing your name in a fucking big ledger in Cork, blah blah, but I think it's triple distilled and an ordinary bottle will set you back around €70-€110.
Very very soft on the pallet, no bite at all but jesus you'll move half the bottle in no time flat.

This one is around €205.

https://www.kwmwine.com/en/ie/Midle...rOOtSrd3b_RUiVIDNeS4tAouywUMglGoaAuWwEALw_wcB

Or this one a bit rarer for €399!!
www.kwmwine.com/en/Midleton-Very-Rare-2014-Bottling-70cl/m-1488.aspx

WP_20171118_10_13_20_Pro.jpg

My 'Top shelf' atm. Better than most bars!

Green Spot. Just a wonderful Irish single pot still. Probably my favourite Whiskey atm.

Drunk a full bottle after about 6 or 7 pints at a new years eve party one year. Dunno what it was though :).
Other than that I only ever drink it in my tea on Christmas morning - carrying on my father's ex-army tradition.
Im not a shorts drinker, Drambuie, Tia Maria, Cointreau and Disaronno I like. :)

Laphroaig Lore. NAS whisky from Laphroaig aged in a combination of first fill sherry and quarter casks. Perfect end to a bitch of a 12 hr night shift.

Lycan, I've found one! Jim Beam, Red Stag Black Cherry Bourbon. Really inexpensive, but with ice it works for me :)

Lycan, I've found one! Jim Beam, Red Stag Black Cherry Bourbon. Really inexpensive, but with ice it works for me :)

Haha awesome! A lot of Bourbons have a natural cherry/vanilla flavour so that might be your gateway!

Had quite a few bottles bought for me this Xmas. Jura - Superstition, Aberfeldy 12, Redbreast 12 and a really special 8 year old cask strength single barrel Deanston which has been finished in red wine casks.

Only had the Redbreast (which is one of my favourite whiskeys) so I'm looking forward to trying them all, especially the Deanston. I'll have to save that for a special occasion I think.

Haha awesome! A lot of Bourbons have a natural cherry/vanilla flavour so that might be your gateway!

Had quite a few bottles bought for me this Xmas. Jura - Superstition, Aberfeldy 12, Redbreast 12 and a really special 8 year old cask strength single barrel Deanston which has been finished in red wine casks.

Only had the Redbreast (which is one of my favourite whiskeys) so I'm looking forward to trying them all, especially the Deanston. I'll have to save that for a special occasion I think.

Looking at the prices of some ' Special' whiskies over Christmas, not sure I could bring myself to pay that much for a bottle of booze tbh. What's the most you have ever spent on a bottle of Whiskey, and what was it?

About £50. Probably either a bottle of Lagavulin 16 or Dalmore 15.

Treated myself to a bottle of Bunnahabhain - Ceobanach (pronounced cyaw-bin-och) yesterday. A 10 year old, Un-chillfiltered, natural colour, peated Bunnahabhain bottled at 46.3%. Absolutely glorious.

Officially an old geeza - Got myself a hip flask and some Jim Beam apple / Red Stag for Wolves. I hate whiskey on it's own but for some reason quite like these 2.

Any others similar to these I could look at?

I'm hoping one or some of you can help me. I'm looking to buy a gift for a friend spending £100 ish (not my money!).

1997 is a significant year for them and I was looking at single malts of that age. On the masters of malt site I've found three around that price but was hoping someone could give advice please. Can't load the page now but two were bottled by Kingsbury (McDuff and Bunnahabhain) And another by Blair Athol. Blair Athol is owned by Diageo? So was looking at one of the other two. Anyone heard or could recommend them?

I'm hoping one or some of you can help me. I'm looking to buy a gift for a friend spending £100 ish (not my money!).

1997 is a significant year for them and I was looking at single malts of that age. On the masters of malt site I've found three around that price but was hoping someone could give advice please. Can't load the page now but two were bottled by Kingsbury (McDuff and Bunnahabhain) And another by Blair Athol. Blair Athol is owned by Diageo? So was looking at one of the other two. Anyone heard or could recommend them?

Nothing wrong with Diageo mate, they make some truly amazing whisky. They're all owned by one massive corporation or the other, McDuff is run by Bacardi for example.

I've not had anything from McDuff/Deveron or Blair Athol but Bunnahabhain is wonderful whisky. It's usually unpeated so you wont put people off who don't like that sort of thing but it's also quite complex. They have been known to add caramel colouring and water down to 40% with some of their expressions though so I'd check that before you buy. Quite a well known brand as well which is good when giving a gift.

I just put 1997 into the search function on MoM, if I was going to spend £100 of my own money it'd be on either the Glentauchers 20yr single cask, the unpeated Coal Ila 17yr or the Benrinnes 18yr. That Glentauchers caught my eye straight away, it'll be truly spectacular. Very small distillery as well and most of their stock goes into blends so Glentauchers single malts are few and far between. Would make a very special gift.

If you want to research the individual whiskys in more depth type them into youtube and see if a guy called Ralfy has done a review of them, the guy is a legend and knows the whisky industry inside out.

Nothing wrong with Diageo mate, they make some truly amazing whisky. They're all owned by one massive corporation or the other, McDuff is run by Bacardi for example.

I've not had anything from McDuff/Deveron or Blair Athol but Bunnahabhain is wonderful whisky. It's usually unpeated so you wont put people off who don't like that sort of thing but it's also quite complex. They have been known to add caramel colouring and water down to 40% with some of their expressions though so I'd check that before you buy. Quite a well known brand as well which is good when giving a gift.

I just put 1997 into the search function on MoM, if I was going to spend £100 of my own money it'd be on either the Glentauchers 20yr single cask, the unpeated Coal Ila 17yr or the Benrinnes 18yr. That Glentauchers caught my eye straight away, it'll be truly spectacular. Very small distillery as well and most of their stock goes into blends so Glentauchers single malts are few and far between. Would make a very special gift.

If you want to research the individual whiskys in more depth type them into youtube and see if a guy called Ralfy has done a review of them, the guy is a legend and knows the whisky industry inside out.

Many thanks for the reply Lycan, much appreciated.

I think it''ll either be the Bunnahabhain or the Glentauchers that I'll go for. The Bunnahabhain states 50 odd % on the MOM website and the name of the bottle has a connection too. The date of the Glentauchers is bang on so it might just be a toss of the coin for which one I go with

Can't believe I didn't know this thread existed...

My Dad is a big Whiskey drinker and I have started to get a taste for it but tend to prefer bourbons and irish whiskeys as I found them less harsh... I have bought him a bottle of Jameson Caskmates Stout Edition as I enjoyed this when I tried it when in Dublin, he loves Jameson so hope he will like this - although it does taste different.

Current bottles I have at home - Gentleman Jack, JD Master Distillers No1, Bulleit Bourbon, Jameson Caskmates Stout, Red Stag

As my Dad is a big Jameson's fan, he also likes his Bourbons etc just wondering for future gift ideas?

Can't believe I didn't know this thread existed...

My Dad is a big Whiskey drinker and I have started to get a taste for it but tend to prefer bourbons and irish whiskeys as I found them less harsh... I have bought him a bottle of Jameson Caskmates Stout Edition as I enjoyed this when I tried it when in Dublin, he loves Jameson so hope he will like this - although it does taste different.

Current bottles I have at home - Gentleman Jack, JD Master Distillers No1, Bulleit Bourbon, Jameson Caskmates Stout, Red Stag

As my Dad is a big Jameson's fan, he also likes his Bourbons etc just wondering for future gift ideas?

Green Spot or Redbreast 12 are my favourite Irish Whiskeys. Both usually around £35-40 a bottle.

Cheers I'll have give one a try then

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back