• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wigan 2-1 Wolves - VERDICT

Knee jerking like mad in here.

Yeah I agree to some extent. Plenty to be disappointed at - the consistency (or lack of) is bloody frustrating but I think Batth in particular is getting a lot of OTT criticism seeing as he's been pretty solid for most of the season.

Easy to say for you as a fan that drew Wolves out of a hat a few years ago. The emotion of the club is more felt over here then over there..

10 games in is enough time to assess - 15 points at this stage equates to 69 at the end of the season, which will not be enough for a playoff place, but if we are at that level by Jan then will be near enough for a second half push from there as there will be more player changes then.

For Walter to still be here that is probably his minimum achievement - at least he seems to have stopped the mass rotations and is getting nearer to a settled team.

This is the same points total we had after 10 games last season though don't expect things to be as dull as it was then from here on.

Hardly knee jerk after 10 games. Worth discussing 'progress' now.

Have to agree with this, it's basically a 1/4 of the season so a good time to asses where we are. I can't see a defined style of play which is the most worrying thing and I fail to see what we are trying to do in games and that's not a good thing.

Easy to say for you as a fan that drew Wolves out of a hat a few years ago. The emotion of the club is more felt over here then over there..
True enough, but I still don't get how things go from sunshine and lollipops to total apocalypse off the back of one result either way. And if it was really THAT easy for me I would have jumped ship when we went down. I may not have been born into this club but I'm not going anywhere.

If we start falling 6 or more points behind the playoffs, fair enough. As it is, I think we're doing quite well and we're just having a few hiccups along the way.

#franklite

Yeah I agree to some extent. Plenty to be disappointed at - the consistency (or lack of) is bloody frustrating but I think Batth in particular is getting a lot of OTT criticism seeing as he's been pretty solid for most of the season.

He's not getting any OTT criticism imo, he was shite last night for both goals and he was at fault on Saturday as he should have headed away before Brentford had chance to have any build up. I'd say it proves what most people have always thought and that he is an average Championship defender. He'd been much better this year but maybe the praise he was getting was too much.

Look at the table. Had we not had a complete $#@!tard session last night we would be comfortably in the playoffs.

If only, eh! Yes you're right Paddy but we need a bit of consistency though don't we? Batth went from MOM Saturday, to making the two naive mistakes he made last night. I don't know how he performed during the match as I've only seen the highlights personally, but according to consensus we were real crap in the 2nd half.

Walter needs to sort out the players and get them playing as a team, and stop making stupid substitutions and weak excuses like he wished he'd had another striker available on the bench. He picks the side and he could have gone for Ennis or Bright if he was of a mind to.

Our rock(Bod) will be back on Saturday, hopefully, but it won't take long for the opposition to work out what they have to do to hamstring us unless the others come up to the mark quickly.

Twat Norwich on the weekend and then things are gravy again aren't they?

I'm sorry, but i just can't buy this bollocks that we are great on Saturday and $#@! in midweek.

Who the $#@! is kidding who? do the players get less wages on Tuesday than on Saturday? Is Walt allowed to field the $#@!tiest bench this season on Tues and not on Saturday? does Baaath or Iorfa get a get out of jail free card for collecting their wages but playing like they are collecting mine on Tuesday?

I could go on, as you know, but FFS, these guys cannot be allowed to do it one day and have a significant relapse midweek, Walt has to pick a side AND a bench every game not on Holy days only.

That was the worst $#@!e defending from a team with our ambitions i have seen in many a day, and frankly whatever day of the week it is, makes no difference, a useless $#@! is a useless $#@! on monday, or Sunday, so stop talking this midweek hiatus bollocks and let's talk about what's really wrong, the players?, Walt? or us lot?.

I agree mate it should be bollocks but our record midweek over the last two years appears significantly worse than at weekends. I don't hasve a fucking clue why

Surely if we twat Norwich at the weekend, that begs an even bigger question as to the players mental attitude at Wigan.

Not really. You can have a bad night.

Yes but we have too many on midweek games Barnsley Wigan this season Leeds Brentford bristol city last season. In fact if you do the last year we have won 5 drawn 3 and lost 9 of the 17 league games not played at the weekend and 2 of those wins were the Monday win at Charlton and a Friday win at Brighton over xmas and a Friday draw with forest. Tuesday nights we suck! One of those draws was at home to Bolton who were relegated. We did beat Crawley and Cambridge in the cup and lost to Newcastle in the cup but I have not included cup games. You don't get promoted via the cup.
Our record at the weekend in the league is 10_12_7. Over the last year. Still not great but a darn sight better. So we lose about one in 4 at weekends and we lose every other midweek game. There has to be something in this .

We didn't win many midweek games last season because we didn't win THAT many games last season in general? We were pretty abysmal.

To me it is simply a case of rotation. Jon dadi is a big miss and we don't currently have the man up top to replace him. Playing him three times this week would have been a huge injury risk and luckily he sound like he will make the Norwich game. As players like Silvio and Dicko come to full fitness I think we will see better performances in midweek.

Have to agree with this, it's basically a 1/4 of the season so a good time to asses where we are. I can't see a defined style of play which is the most worrying thing and I fail to see what we are trying to do in games and that's not a good thing.

Twice in 24 hours I agree with Johnny!
I'm unsure on the merits of comparisons with last season, where we played out a number of bore draws. At least we're winning/losing games.
There's no pattern or style of play. There's been nothing like a settled side at all. (TBF the only time I've been sure I could see a pattern of play was Solbakken, so...)

I think most concerning for me is no plan b. It is positive that Zenga makes changes, and doesn't wait too long to make these like KJ did. However seems to me Zenga's changes are more in hope than with purpose.

Back