• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wigan (A) 27/09/16 : build up thread

I think he'd play well on the right side of the narrow front three we've been playing, as much as through the middle - it's arguably what he was doing when we were playing 4-4-2 with him alongside Afobe, which in practice was more of a lopsided 4-3-3 with Dicko right and Sako left and Henry playing slightly behind them and closer to the midfield two.

Gladon and Bodvarsson both seem to be only able to play as the main striker, but everyone else - Dicko, Cavaleiro, Mason, Costa, Teixeira, Wallace, John - seem able to play comfortably in at least two, if not all, of the other three positions (right and left of the narrow front three, plus the most advanced midfielder). And that's not even including Graham coming back to compete on the left. (Zyro can also play across the front three but he's not going to be back this season, of course.)

It's a problem for now, but we're going to get injuries - as we always do - and the difference now as opposed to the last few seasons is that we can safely have three or four of these guys out at the same time and still have a lot of flexibility in selection.

Sorry mate, I tried to let your statement go but couldn't. The highlighted bit about Bodvarsson is bollocks.

Just look at Saturday's third goal as an example: Bod came into midfield and won the 'collision' with their player and made yards down the right flank before playing the perfect pass into the middle, for Cav to run onto and slot into the goal. He has also shown the capability to play as a 'number 10' to create chances for Mason, who usually misses them I might add.

As DW has said, he is turning into the bargain of the decade for us at what we paid for him, and I for one can't wait for him and Dicko to form a partnership that I feel will rip the Championship apart.

Bod is far too versatile to liken him to Gladon as just a main striker, IMO.

Bodvarsson hasn't played as the 10 for Mason this season - Mason, if anything, has played as the support striker for Bodvarsson (although not what would normally be called a number 10, since it's as part of a front three rather than two).

I mean, sure, Bodvarsson might be able to play well as a 10 as well as a 9 - he has many of the necessary attributes - but a) we haven't seen him do that yet, really, and b) he's played blinders as the focal point of an attacking three, so I'm not sure why we'd want to shove him somewhere else just for the sake of it. Same with Gladon, but it's not a point of disrespect to compare the two of them. They do both play the same position, they just have different roles that they're suited for while there.

Bodvarsson and Dicko have something in common in their ability to chase the ball and pressure the opposition high up the pitch to force chances, though Dicko seems more of a natural finisher than Bodvarsson, who I see as giving us something similar to what Doyle gave us at his best. Much more tenacious, though, and isn't being wasted being told to fall over when challenging for long balls forward, to try and buy free kicks in the opposition third.

Last edited:
Not sure about this one on paper yes we should win but how many times have wolves played a team on a bad run and low and behold they get a win. Wigan are struggling but this has banana skin written all over it. Throw in ex wolves players for me I would be happy with a point. I also want the same team.

Bodvarsson has played wide before for his previous clubs.

We should be beating teams like Wigan whether it's home or away as they just aren't very good. It's got the whole ex players always score against us and we always end teams bad runs feel about it although i'm pretty sure that it doesn't happen to us more than every other team (i know Hammill and RVLP have scored agaisnt us this season already.)

I wouldn't mind a few changes as Saturday was a tough game and a fair few players took a battering. I think Bod and Saiss have to play but those are the 2 i would want to look after most as without them we haven't got anybody as good to fill in. Still wouldn't be surprised if Gladon get's a game, Cavaleiro starts in one of the wider positions, Coady comes into midfield and Silvio plays instead of CBJ.

I'd like to see Saiss and Prince play but they were both absolutely knackered 2nd half of 2nd half

Really don't want to see massive amounts of continued changes

As we have a difficult game on Sat would accept Coady or Price in for Saiss & Silvio for CBJ (with Doherty moving across) - last years players should be used to the Championship schedule & better able to cope with it.

This doesn't weaken us so significantly though the one problem position for me is up front as Gladon has not shown himself yet (& probably won't ever do) to be a patch on Bodvarssen. The fact that Dicko is not in the U23's tonight either means he has a problem or that he is a possible for tomorrow (even if only on the bench). If he is there tomorrow then I would feel happier resting Jon Dadi for Saturday.

Dicko's had 5 games (with varied/increasing amount of game time) & whilst it's good that we are easing him back in slowly given the injury he sustained there comes a time when he will need to be tested at the 'coal face' of the Championship.

Zenga has told Spiers that he's not going to rotate the first XI as much from now on.

Of course, when he was routinely making 7-9 changes between matches, that could just as easily mean we can expect as few as 1-2 or as many as 4-5...

My guess is rotation will be for fitness more than anything. Cavaleiro in for Costa, Coady or Price in for either Saiss or Oniangue, and Silvio in for CBJ or Doherty. Might also see Hause or Stearman in for Iorfa but dunno.

Dicko not in the u23 squad tonight? Involved tomorrow?

Hope Dicko gets a 20min run out. I suspect cbj saiss and prince will be out he may even rest Bod but
he runs himself out every match and seems to be fit again
I want us to add to their miseries by whupping their sorry backsides and we can once again sing
"you laughed at us .........."

Unsubstantiated reports that Bodvarsson hasn't made the trip for tonights game.

If we're going to rest him for any game, it makes sense for it to be this one I guess - we'll definitely need him at full fitness on Saturday.

Probably means Gladon up front and Dicko on the bench, then, with Ennis and Enobakhare both playing yesterday.

If we're going to rest him for any game, it makes sense for it to be this one I guess - we'll definitely need him at full fitness on Saturday.

Probably means Gladon up front and Dicko on the bench, then, with Ennis and Enobakhare both playing yesterday.
If he hasn't travelled then he's injured not rested. He'd still be on the bench if we were giving him a rest. Got kicked to kingdom come on Saturday to not surprising if he got a knock.

Emphasis on unsubstantiated just for now until the team sheet is out

CtYMNt7WIAEZC7U.jpg:large

Nice trolling Kenny.

Back