• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wigan (H) Build-Up Thread 14/2/17

If we don't get the results from these next 3 games especially because of odd team selection/system and strange substitutions, PL may start to undo
the good he has created, and the doubt will start to creep in.

My team would be this but Stearman in for Williamson if he's not fit.

--------------------------Ikeme----------------------

Iorfa--------Williamson-------Hause--------Doherty

----------------Evans------------Saiss------------------

----------Costa-------Ronan-------Weimann--------

------------------------Bod--------------------------

I don't expect this to be the team as i don't think Lambert thinks Saiss can play a pressing game so doesn't fancy him. Hause defintiely has to play though, no idea why after his performances against Stoke and Liverpool he isn't in the side every game. I thought Bright was having his best game for the first team on Saturday but he doesn't have any product at all at the moment so Ronan in for him and i don't want to see Dicko starting again. I wouldn't mind Weimann upfront either if it comes to it.

Match officials for Tuesday:

Referee: Simon Hooper
Linesmen: Timothy Wood and James Wilson
Fourth Official: Mark Haywood

Have to say that I know nothing about Hooper so no idea whether that's good or bad.

Would have no problem with Weimann taking the CF position, neither of the other two have managed to produce that much & at least he has scored more recently.

Biggest issue is the midfield though - Wigan are unlikely to come here & be open & expansive so need someone who can unlock that

.........................Ikeme
Marshall....Stearman....Hause......Doherty
.........................Evans
................Ronan........Edwards
.........................Costa
.........Bodvarsson.........Wiemann

Burgoyne, Coady, Batth, Saiss, Gibbs-White, Enobakhare, Dicko

Last edited:

Your choice or heard a whisper? Asking a lot of Evans in that formation with the full backs playing high up the pitch to give width.

Your choice or heard a whisper? Asking a lot of Evans in that formation with the full backs playing high up the pitch to give width.

Not to mention returning to the absolute disaster that was Dave Edwards on the left of a rhombus, I never want to see that experiment repeated again. That formation would be fucking horrific.

Ikeme

Marshall
Stearman
Hause
Doherty

Evans
Swiss

Costa
Ronan
Weimann

Bod

I expect it'll be the same team but with Bod and Evans starting for Price and Dicko.

I hope Ronan starts but I won't hold my breath

Just guess work considering Lambert has used this formation a lot previously in order to play two strikers.

Not to mention returning to the absolute disaster that was Dave Edwards on the left of a rhombus, I never want to see that experiment repeated again. That formation would be $#@!ing horrific.
It's not a Kenny Jackett rhombus.

Diamond midfields are for degenerates and Glenn Hoddle.
So was three at the back according to your good self!

No formation is ever shit if you have the players to play to it and you obviously work on it day in day out as shown by Chelsea's 3-4-3 that most would have looked at and thought what the fuck. I don't think we have the players to play the diamond and especially not with Dave as one of the 2 wider centre mids. Stick to the formation that we have been playing but get the better ball playing central midfielders on and play football should be the plan.

Lots of important decisions for PL to make tonight. Make no mistake about it, poor results against Wigan and Birmimgham and we'll be getting dragged in to a completely unnecessary relegation battle. We need to get a win in the league, and soon.

Will Saiss get an opportunity?
Will Ronan finally get to start a game like most of us fans want?
Will he bring Iorfa back in from the cold?
Will he persist with Dicko up top?
And likewise with Coady at right back?
Will he bring Hause back in to the defence?
Is Williamson fit to be included?

We really shouldn't have this many question marks on the team and the starting 11 at this stage of the season, and in my opinion, that proves what a shambles, in the main this season has been.

It isn't what I'd go with, but I think we'll see this tonight -

-------------Ikeme-----------------
Coady---Batth---Hause---Doherty
---------Evans--Edwards----------
Costa-------Ronan------Weimann
--------------Bod------------------

I see where you are going with this, however I just don't think we have the players. If you match Lambert's Norwich team up to this the three in midfield (Evans, Ronan, Edwards) don't really match his Norwich 3 (Crofts, Fox, Johnson) as whilst Evans and Ronan are comparable to Crofts and Fox they are relatively untried and Edwards is in no way comparable to Bradley Johnson in terms of on the ball ability. But the biggest hole is where Hoolahan would play and that isn't where Costa would fit and I think playing him behind the front 2 would be a bad idea.

I don't see anything wrong with your formation and with a better left back think it could work. It would mean the end for Costa, Cav and Graham and I'm not sure the fans would appreciate that unless Lambert went out and spent big on replacements for Edwards, Dicko and that elusive number 10. Big risk.

Surely we have enough faith in our midfielders not to have to go 4-5-1 against Wigan at home ?

Let Evans and Ronan do the heavy lifting, Bright and Costa provide the skill, and Bod and Dicko the missed chances !

When Fosun took over I never thought I would be this worried about playing Wigan at home

A must win game and surely a game we have to go out to win and win well. However 1, Wigan are bottom 3 2. Its a midweek game 3. Heads may be thinking Chelsea. I really hope we win and win well. Dropped points against this load of shite would be unacceptable.

A must win game and surely a game we have to go out to win and win well. However 1, Wigan are bottom 3 2. Its a midweek game 3. Heads may be thinking Chelsea. I really hope we win and win well. Dropped points against this load of $#@!e would be unacceptable.

So just the two myths for this one?

Back