• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wigan (H) Build-Up Thread 14/2/17

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
One for all you romantics out there, Wigan at home on a Tuesday night when it'll be about 2 degrees.

Must win really, the home record needs improving, Wigan are terrible (been locked in the bottom three since early October and have lost 8 of their last 12 league games), we've lost three out of four in the league and we can't allow a rot to set in.

--------------------------Ikeme----------------------

Marshall----------Batth-------Stearman--------Doherty (bleurgh)

----------------Edwards--------Saiss------------------

----------Costa-------Enobakhare-------Ronan--------

----------------------Weimann----------------------------

Subs: Burgoyne, Hause, Coady, Saville, Evans, Dicko, Bodvarsson

2016/17: L 1-2 (A)
2014/15: D 2-2 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2011/12: W 3-1 (H), L 2-3 (A)
2010/11: L 1-2 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2009/10: L 0-2 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2004/5: D 3-3 (H), L 0-2 (A)
1999/0: W 1-0 (A, FAC)

I said on Saturday Wiemann needs to go up top.. He was wasted at Villa on the flank, same as Derby. Dicko and Bod arent scoring so next in line.

Saiss in please, don't want him to end the season with no opportunities and moved on at a massive loss - especially as he has real potential.

----------------------Ikeme
Marshall--------Batth-------Stearman--------Doherty
---------------Evans--------Saiss
----------Costa-------Ronan-------Weimann
--------------------Bodvarsson

I wonder if we'll see Iorfa given another chance soon?

I just hope we win. Wigan in the bottom 3, on a Tuesday night and Michael Jacobs has all the hallmarks over a 'Cyber treble' and I can't handle that!

They have gone quite open the last couple of games 2-2 v Norwich 2-3 v Fulham, so hopefully they do again. I think we win an open game, any scout worth his salt will have told Joyce it's not the way to play us though.

Whatever team Lambert picks I hope it's not with an eye on Saturday and that we don't see a midfield 3 of Saville, Evans and Edwards again as we did against Burton as if Wigan do sit back they were clueless how to break a side down.
Ikeme

Coady
Batth
Stearman
Doherty

Price
Edwards

Costa
Ronan
Weimann

Bod

I'll go for this :

Ikeme, Iorfa, Batth, Stearman, Doherty, Evans, Ronan, Costa, Bright, Dicko, Bod.

If we can't be positive in our team selection for a home game against Wigan, we might as well give up.

Can't see the point in playing an unfit Marshall, I'd go for:

--------------------------Ikeme----------------------

Iorfa----------Williamson-------Hause--------Doherty

----------------Edwards--------Saiss------------------

----------Costa-------Enobakhare-------Ronan--------

----------------------Weimann--------------------------

I'd play Bodvarsson up top, Evans in midfield, Hause in for Batth and one of Iorfa/Marshall at right back. I thought Coady was dreadful against Newcastle, all teams need to do is sit off him and Batth on the right hand side, limit their options for an easy pass and they'll just give the ball away of their own accord. Coady has that one floated cross to the back post in his locker and nothing else. So predictable.

Deutsch's team for me. Price is out with concussion. Really want to see Saiss get a chance.

Have to say I'd go with your front four, Tredman. I simply can't see the point of Bod or Dicko any more, so I'd give Weimann a go there, with the other three interchanging behind him

We might see Costa rested I reckon. Similar team to the one at Barnsley I reckon ahead of Saturday.

I dont wish to see Enobakhare or Edwards anywhere near a first team shirt, we have to start selecting players who can pass the ball through midfield.

I dont wish to see Enobakhare or Edwards anywhere near a first team shirt, we have to start selecting players who can pass the ball through midfield.
Bright was our best player on Saturday!

Its all about what you want from that position on the field. I want someone who shows well for the ball for the other midfielders then has the ability to feed passes into the front three positions. He doesn't link the play well enough for me.

Individually he was probably pretty happy than he managed to get on the ball a fair bit and take a few people but he didn't produce anymore than anyone else. He looks a talented individual but I've yet to see anything from him that suggests he improves the team particularly.

I also thought Coady was crap V Newcastle. He doesn't move forward AT ALL. Like where is the support for Costa? Not once. I heard the commentator praise his passing - it was rubbish, absolute rubbish, fuck off.

Any way - I really want to see Saiss back in the team. I'd also go along with giving Weimann a go up top - If not though I'd like to see Bod start, I feel that he's pretty damn quick, surprisingly decent touch and will chase down anything/anyone - What difference is that to Dicko really...?

Bright seemed good at getting on the ball, looking fancy, then shoving it to someone else who isn't necessarily in a good position to take it. Just sayin' :uhoh2:

I hope he can add to his game as he looks exciting.

Ikeme

Coady
Stearman
Hause
Doherty

Saiss
Edwards

Costa
Bright
Ronan

Weimann

Ikeme

Coady
Stearman
Hause
Doherty

Saiss
Edwards

Costa
Bright
Ronan

Weimann

Lupo, I would go with that, but then Lambert would rest some of them for Saturday. As it would have to be a more defensive, counter attacking formation against Chelsea, I would prefer to have Costa and Bright running at them on the counter attack, but we don't have the strength in depth to keep rotating the squad ?

Back