• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-0 Brighton (Shit we're now 5th) Thread

I've said before that I don't rate Donck in the back 3 in anything other than a needs must situation, but I think he's perfectly fine in a midfield 2 or 3 and thought he was our best outfield player yesterday.

Nuno felt we surrendered the midfield to them in the away game, so changed the formation for the home one, just as he did against Norwich who also like to play and that worked. I do however understand the 'let them worry about us' mentality.

I think that too. We completely played to Brighton's strengths with 352. There were 10 in midfield at times yesterday and our response was inaccurate hoofball.

We were second best to Norwich until we scored too. Norwich can't defend for toffee 90% of the time? Brighton can. We have a number of tough matches to come. A number of them are away. Sheffield, Burnley ,Chelsea, are all tough visits.

Everton, Arsenal home games I have confidence that neither will set up like Brighton so we don't have the same issue.

Yep, Donk did well yesterday, almost played as a forward at times which is a bit wasteful.

It was noteworthy on my stream that there was collective derision at vinagre in the second half, he did play within himself with the cautious pass back to Saiss quite often, but that was probably because he also got stick for failed take ons in the first. Kid couldn't win unfortunately - have a go and get it wrong, get stick. Play safe and keep the ball, get stick. I know we've had a generally fantastic support during Nuno, but let's face this element has always been pretty big for us, even when we had 17k in the championship, so I'm not having that it's 12k of PL glory hunters. Play well, support is brilliant, play shit, get pelted. That is, and always has been, the molineux way.

I don't think he had a particularly poor game, no worse than many, but you know how fans are they like to target a scapegoat, thank god MGW wasn't involved

I agree, he’s also still a young lad and needs encouragement rather than continual moans and groans
On a positive, when he did have the chance to move forward and nothing was on he at least is developing some maturity in pulling back and retaining possession rather than bombing forward head down with fifteen step overs and leathering the laces out of the ball. In fact on a few occasions he did cross with a little more accuracy and consideration yesterday, so the lad is listening and learning

I agree, he’s also still a young lad and needs encouragement rather than continual moans and groans
On a positive, when he did have the chance to move forward and nothing was on he at least is developing some maturity in pulling back and retaining possession rather than bombing forward head down with fifteen step overs and leathering the laces out of the ball. In fact on a few occasions he did cross with a little more accuracy and consideration yesterday, so the lad is listening and learning

Yeah your preaching to the converted on here for the most part, hope his confidence hasn't been too badly knocked. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who want everything and want it now, if they don't get it, they resort to vitriolic outbursts, that goes for life in general not just football

There were too many sub-par performances against a team who had limited ambition. We started the game fairly well but Dan Burr effectively dealt with the cross field ball to Doherty and we don’t seem to be able to do the same ball to left side. There were too many times when a pass needed to be made quicker, or miss out one player when moving the ball from side to side - we gave Brighton too long to get back into shape.

Personally I think the formation was probably the right one given that Brighton were going to put two banks of four quite deep and Dendoncker is the only midfielder we have that breaks into the box from midfield...but we it was clearly not working at half time and really there should have been a formation change for the second half. I would have replaced Doherty with Traore and either Neto or Podence for Dendoncker and then run at them from deeper...Brighton weren’t going to let us counter attack.

In the end it was a nothing game that was only ever going to be settled by a set piece or mistake.

Can vinagre play better than that?

Hell yes

Did he deserve to be singled out?

Hell no

I'd agree that some of the fans were poor yesterday especially when it came to Vinagre. He didn't have the best game but he wasn't helped by being left isolated a lot of the time and he struggled to get by Bissouma who seemed to always be there. The few times he wasn't Ruben actually beat Montoya and put a few very good crosses in but we didn't finish them off.

I think it's fair to criticise the performance after the game as long as it's constructive criticism and we weren't great to be honest. We've come a long way under Nuno but we still do need to find a way of playing against teams that aren't expansive, we can't just rely on counter attacking as not all teams will do that. I think the formation made sense but unfortunately several players were below par, Nuno got his subs wrong and we never really looked like we thought we could win and i think that was the most disappointing aspect.

OK you chose to do this don't complain

What a load of myopic bollocks. Its another example of rose tinted glasses . Chelsea, a team acknowledged to be in transition, have had some really poor home results this season yet have taken 21 home points to our 22 with a game less played. They are or have been under a transfer ban. Played the kids, are still in the FA cup , still in Europe just and despite a run of bad form sit in fourth place. They rocked us 5 2 at our place and have won 7 times on the road. But their fans still say there is room for improvement. Which is exactly what I have been saying. 7 draws at home is too many IF you are a top side IF those draws are against your rivals or worse.

I cannot see how you can claim to " destroyed a point" when its a point you consistently choose to miss.

To summarise . We are the comeback kings. Its good to have that ability, but better to be ahead first.
We have been poor in probably 5 of those 7 home draws and lucky in at least two.
In those draws our shots on target number is, in the main , woeful showing a lack of alternative creativity.
If we really do want to have a meaningful discussion about breaking into the top six we need to sort out some pretty obvious fallibilities first.

All that said, its fantastic to be where we are. But we haven't made it ,won anything or reached any finals of meaning. We have a really tough tie in Europe and need to focus on that but in no way can we just ignore some of the real issues about the Brighton game. No one deserved more than 6 and there were plenty of 5 and 4 performances on show.

Pound for pound Chelsea are more inclined to be top four than us given the quality of player at their disposal but I would see Lampard as potential manager of the season. We are a reasonable forecast for ' best of the rest ' but you cannot underestimate the massive input of Nuno. Without him I think we would be mid-table mediocrity.

I am astonished that many of you feel wolves fans were down, or even down right assholes yesterday.
I have been following Wolves since 1957, and a more fickle, miserable bunch of fans i have not seen yet.
Look at the town, look at the environment, and if after that you are still surprised wolves fans are a fickle bunch, go see your psychiarist, it is nothing new and as reasonable fans something you just have to live with.
me.... for some unknown reason i was flat as a fart before the game, did nothing different, but even before kick off i couldn't get to my normal level of pre game excitement.
so what am i saying...in my head i got what i expected, and at half time opened my book, and i have never , ever done that before.
we played against a cows arse of a team and no matter how many banjos we had.....well you know the rest.
done, gone, get over it and as for fickle Wolves fans, stop being surprised and improve your well being.

Back