• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-0 Burnley: Verdict Thread

Thought we missed Neves tonight.

And the major problem for me is that our wing backs can’t cross the ball or go past their man.

And that’s a fundamental fuck up for any side playing three at the back.

We’re just too easy to defend against because our front three continually make the wrong decisions.

Bit disappointed tonight.

Thought we played ok overall, very onbthe ball in defence, goodcenough in midfield but jeez we are glacial slow in the final 3rd. Far too many passes on the edge of their box, nowhere near enough movement and no-one seems to want to go past a defender. Thought Traore and Hwang played quite well. Don't think Raul had a shot did he?

Need to do something about the lack of goals and creativity in this team and squad ASAP.

With the run of fixtures we’ve got coming up, we simply had to beat one of Norwich or Burnley. To score zero goals against those two sides is no where near good enough.

Now we wait for the inevitable slide down the table throughout December and for posters to start questioning the manager…

Kilman MOTM.

Adama was more frustrating than usual. Shoots when he should pass. Crosses when he should dribble further/shoot. Raul was terrible (if we didn’t have a joke option on the bench, it would have been nice to make a change). Hwang appears to be scared to shoot and he’s supposed to be one of our biggest goal threats.

I really feel for Bruno. He’s on a hiding to nothing because he’s got zero options within the squad and I feel like certain players are letting him down a bit at the moment.
BT chose Adama as MOTM.

I think it appeared slow because as soon as Burnley loose the ball they flood their own half, like the last 5 minutes it's hard to pick out a pass when there's a sea of white in front of you

It was pretty remarkable watching 9 Burnley players scuttle around their own box so much.

We need to find a way to unlock a tight defence - so many times we got to their box, but either took the wrong option or executed poorly.

RAN’s crossing and stumbling were poor, Hwang’s touch was clumsy, or we chucked a high cross in that was meat and drink to their defence.

Everything seems very deliberate and ponderous - often neat but not especially effective or dangerous.

Fucking hell though. We don't do wingbacks properly and it pisses me off. The only option they ever have if a fifteen yard ball backwards, or a cross from deep into nobody (always a great idea against Burnley). It's bloody frustrating to watch.

We've got very little urgency and pace to our play at the moment, we're very tidy and have some cute movement, but combination play and genuine pattern is hard to see. Like we plan to have the ball, and work it into reasonable positions, but don't work on what turns good situations into good chances.

Sa - was excellent again. I think if we still had Rui, we'd have conceded today. He dominates his box brilliantly.

Back three were all very good, defended well and all passed through lines well.

Wingbacks were frustrating - nowhere near high enough ratio of good attacking play for the amount of possession they have.

Joao disappointed me, creativity was on him today, but it was like he didn't get the memo that Neves was out. Dendonker I thought played well though. I wouldn't be against trying a 352 to see if we can get players closer to Raul (even though he was dogshit today)

Traore...exciting, and our most dangerous player. But given the odds of making the right or wrong decision is 50/50, it's incredible that he gets it wrong 90% of the time.

Hwang was industrious, if with little quality or finesse. Raul was genuinely appalling.

Old ground, but once again our lack of options has hamstrung the manager. Week in week out, his only option is swapping one inconsistent wide player for another. He needs backing.

Old ground, but once again our lack of options has hamstrung the manager. Week in week out, his only option is swapping one inconsistent wide player for another. He needs backing.
Dont get your hopes up.
Wingbacks were frustrating - nowhere near high enough ratio of good attacking play for the amount of possession they have.
Charlie Taylor looked great up and down today. Our wing backs dont do the basics well. Beat the man and cross. Its simple. Dont hit the first man. Its simple. But still they fail both. They are both better than their stats show.
Sa - was excellent again. I think if we still had Rui, we'd have conceded today. He dominates his box brilliantly.
yep- always looking to attack

Traore was actually decent today. But it still leads to nothing, that’s the problem really.

Semedo was actually pretty good again, but again it leads to nothing. But he wasn’t given much help. He cut the ball back into decent areas a few times, when he literally couldn’t do much else and only Hwang was making any sort of run. Traore didn’t, but I sort of expect that from him, but what is Raul doing!?

He was seriously poor today. Too selfish repeatedly, over complicating things, not playing simple passes. He’s always been like that to an extent but then he’d get a goal. Today he wasn’t even getting into position to score.

Back 3 and GK solid. Donck was actually good as well. RAN again solid at the back but just not offering enough in the final 1/3.

Fabio Silva still can’t get a game, when we can’t buy a goal, and we have no players. Someone try and tell me it’s a “calculated gamble”.

Fabio Silva still can’t get a game, when we can’t buy a goal, and we have no players. Someone try and tell me it’s a “calculated gamble”.

Funny you bring him up, I commented to my dad that he'd have been on the end of one of those balls knocked back in by Semedo, whether he'd have finished it is another matter but that's exactly the position he'd take up.

I don’t really understand how Bruno wants the inside forwards to play in the final third. I get that he wants them narrow with wing backs providing width to stretch the opposition defence but when the ball is actually played in it is clear they are being told to hang on the edge of the box for some reason, why not get the bodies in?

Sa being quick out was essential when we were caught napping from a quick free kick, amongst other times.
Could maybe have caught it a couple of times rather than punching, but that's probably harsh.

Funny you bring him up, I commented to my dad that he'd have been on the end of one of those balls knocked back in by Semedo, whether he'd have finished it is another matter but that's exactly the position he'd take up.

You’re right, he would have been. But don’t think you need to be a professional footballer to know that when you’re WBs stretching to play a ball back accross then the penalty spot might, just might be a good area to attack.

Very frustrating evening, more so because cause it was so predictable. Burnley were happy to let our wingbacks have the ball and take it from there, knowing they'd have far more bodies in the box than us to deal with anything they created.

Traore is undoubtedly the most frustrating player I've ever seen at Molineux. Two shocking decisions, one in each half summed up precisely why he has so few goals and assists. The first he had as simple a pass as you could hope for to set Raul up but goes on his own and misses the target, not helped by shooting from further out than he needed to. In the second, probably aware he's ballsed it up earlier, he spanners a shit pass to Raul when he had a clean run towards goal. For all his slight improvement in releasing the ball earlier on occasions tonight the fact remains his end product is minuscule given the positions he gets in. Tonight I left the ground convinced we should sell him for whatever we can get in January as he's never going to deliver on a consistent basis.

Finally a note for the ref who I thought was excellent on his PL debut.

Back