• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-0 Burnley: Verdict Thread

Thought Hwang had a good game but I’d have Moutinho as my MOTM. Was Hwang lucky to stay in the field. From my position it looked like he threw an arm or elbow at the Burnley player.

As for the atmosphere a bit flat with a few library chants from the Burnley fans.
Whoever was on added time duties must have had a bus to catch. Rodriguez was down for 4 minutes when he lost his hair bobble and their time wasting was shocking and obvious.

Thought Hwang had a good game but I’d have Moutinho as my MOTM. Was Hwang lucky to stay in the field. From my position it looked like he threw an arm or elbow at the Burnley player.

As for the atmosphere a bit flat with a few library chants from the Burnley fans.
Whoever was on added time duties must have had a bus to catch. Rodriguez was down for 4 minutes when he lost his hair bobble and their time wasting was shocking and obvious.
They could have given us another 20 minutes we still wouldn't have scored...

Just back home and I’ve got to say how much I’ve enjoyed reading the verdict posts. Lots of thoughtful analysis that make me reflect on the match in new ways. I often feel I don’t have much to add to the wisdom, so I thought I’d post an appreciation of all your work in lieu of insight!

I do feel for Bruno in that no sooner does an inside forward emerge to suggest they are the missing piece than (it seems to me) they go a little off the boil or get crocked. The Hwang Raul partnership hasn’t really kicked on. FWIW I’m inclined to sympathise with our wing backs rather than think that improving them would make the difference - but I may well be wrong.

Burnley is such a shithouse team, but in the end got what they came for,a draw. Traore really needed to lay the ball off in the first half and it would have been 1-0 us no doubt imo. Hwang my Motm and no one really had a 'bad' game overall, just still can't score. I know this may be obvious, but if we had just that bit more creativity in the squad we would be top 4.

Obviously a point is better than getting nothing and still in good shape in the table, but need to find some goals quick or we will start to slide down the table I fear.

On to Liverpool.

Ooo, ooo, a train to York at 2:42... a step closer to home I guess

If it helps, my 11 week old son wants his bottle, so you’re not the only one up. Saying that, I am rather toasty wrapped up here, hope you’ve wrapped up warm!

Just back home and I’ve got to say how much I’ve enjoyed reading the verdict posts. Lots of thoughtful analysis that make me reflect on the match in new ways. I often feel I don’t have much to add to the wisdom, so I thought I’d post an appreciation of all your work in lieu of insight!

I do feel for Bruno in that no sooner does an inside forward emerge to suggest they are the missing piece than (it seems to me) they go a little off the boil or get crocked. The Hwang Raul partnership hasn’t really kicked on. FWIW I’m inclined to sympathise with our wing backs rather than think that improving them would make the difference - but I may well be wrong.
I’m potentially with you regarding the wingbacks. A different type of CM would really help them IMO. Naturally won’t term them into world class wing backs (we are wolves after all) but perhaps it would reduce the ‘stop, turn back, try again’ approach we seem to undertake. I could be totally wrong, but im not willing to fight them off in this system until all the pieces are in place. If they ever are…

If it helps, my 11 week old son wants his bottle, so you’re not the only one up. Saying that, I am rather toasty wrapped up here, hope you’ve wrapped up warm!
It's bloody freezing! Just got to York and straight onto my final train! Should be in my house by 6am... well worth a Burnley shithouse masterclass 👌

I'm up about to grab a train if it helps, I doubt it though.

We looked slow in attack and struggled to break down Burnley, our best threats were when we countered and ran at them with pace. I don't get the hate for traore, he had one of his better games and was our biggest threat, but like the rest if the team it came to nothing.

We looked neat with the ball if a little ponderous and slow moving it around, our crossing was poor, something we have been consistent at least with.

Overall its not a good result, and we can't ignore the lack of goals. Not that it would help but what's happened to Hoever, not seen him for a while is he injured?

I’ve just about warmed up and the NB crossbar has just about stopped shaking. Not much else to say about the game.

After making post after post on here defending Adama I’d be happy if I never saw him play for us again, he just doesn’t work in our team. Thanks but time to move on.

I thought it was OK last night but not good enough. Main issue was being too slow in possession and build up in general, but on another day Traore hits his shot 6 inches lower or plays Raul in and we win 1-0.

I don’t think anything changes on the goals front until we can play 4 at the back, our players just aren’t very good at finishing as a team. Hopefully Neto helps when he’s finally back and Podence has shown glimpses but I think it will continue to be a struggle for the foreseeable.

It's fair to say it's not all on the WBs, but rarely if at all when we were camped on the edge of their box did either of them, take a man on, play a 1-2 or try and drive deep into the box. I don't know if that's tactics or lack of confidence. I like both Semedo and RAN but they both seem nervous on the ball to me, RAN especially always looks like he's gunna trip over the ball.
As for Traore, I stood up for him last night and I still think that's one of his best games for a long time. Some great runs with the ball and tried to link up more. Yes he should have passed the shot but most forward players take that on, his pass to Raul towards the end was poor, the one to Raul was very good but a terrific tackle.
Giving said all that, in the cold light of day, this 'wrong decision or poor execution has been going on too long.

You’re right, he would have been. But don’t think you need to be a professional footballer to know that when you’re WBs stretching to play a ball back accross then the penalty spot might, just might be a good area to attack.

Rocket science to some of our lot though it seems.

We do try and make the game harder than we need to. As said earlier Liverpool use wing backs to put balls into a certain area for their players to attack - quite simple. We on the other dither and dally outside the box, go from side to side ( and back to Coady) and eventually try and thread a pass through the eye of a needle - result failure.

RAN has a lot of talent, but a couple of times there were actually players in the box in decent positions and he was feinting and delaying the cross two or three times until the moment has just gone.

It's not just Adama, a huge chunk of our team make the wrong call a hell of a lot (Neves probably does it least, we missed him yesterday).

A couple of frustrating games, but still clean sheets and points, still 6th and we may get more from this horror run coming up than we expect.

Lots to work on though, and I suspect to change the character of this team properly we'll need to say bye to more familiar faces than just Traore over the next 12 months

It's fair to say it's not all on the WBs, but rarely if at all when we were camped on the edge of their box did either of them, take a man on, play a 1-2 or try and drive deep into the box. I don't know if that's tactics or lack of confidence. I like both Semedo and RAN but they both seem nervous on the ball to me, RAN especially always looks like he's gunna trip over the ball.
As for Traore, I stood up for him last night and I still think that's one of his best games for a long time. Some great runs with the ball and tried to link up more. Yes he should have passed the shot but most forward players take that on, his pass to Raul towards the end was poor, the one to Raul was very good but a terrific tackle.
Giving said all that, in the cold light of day, this 'wrong decision or poor execution has been going on too long.
Lets be honest , with Traore you have a world class dribbler , with world class speed coupled with league two awareness and finishing. Thats based on his entire time here. He brings world class excitement to the crowd for 10 seconds and then a huge groan when he fecks it up because of his league two traits as mentioned. That is not going to change ,. If it was he would be playing for a champions league team week in week out not warming our bench 75% of the time.

I like him. I like the excitement he brings but I am a complete realist in that he is a luxury that this current squad cannot afford. We have failed to score against Spurs, Man u , Leicester, Brentford, Norwich , Burnley , Crystal Palace. These teams are currently all below us in the table. In those first three examples we had over 40 attempts at goal and failed to score , so despite looking great we could not finish our dinner. We were rancid against Brentford and Palace and not much better against Norwich. Dyche was happy with his point and we didnt have the guile or ability to create more than 2 attempts on target. This is nothing new from this squad. It will continue to be an issue with these players as many of them have peaked so wont get better, only worse.

Our wing backs cant cross and our midfield cant score. Our attack is a bit powderpuff in the majority of cases. Defensively , we look rock solid so thats the saving grace. We dont look like losing. When we do concede however , we will lose ,more than win as we cant score.

The answer , however , does not exist within the squad. It needs new players. Fabio and Trincao still dont convince me and the former clearly doesn't convince Lage as he has minimal minutes under his belt this season. Hwang certainly has something and has shown he can finish, he is just inconsistent. Again thats why he is here on loan not playing for a better team. I dont know who the answer is but I know that if we keep doing what we are doing , playing the same players and expecting a different outcome then that way lies madness. It wont happen. Traore will never be a consistent goal scorer, Moutinho and Fabio will not get any faster, Semedo probably cannot improve his crossing, Trincao may be too lightweight. Its why Lage has not implemented his preferred style IMHO. Jonny and Neto will improve that but they wont solve it. I fear , however , we best get used to it as the negativity and doom around the possibility of any incoming January transfers has already started.

This isnt a moan, this isn't pelters at the players I mention its just the realistic observations for a number of performances over a reasonable amount of time. We are as likely to beat one of Liverpool Chelsea or Man City as we are to drop points to Norwich or Burnley.

It's bloody freezing! Just got to York and straight onto my final train! Should be in my house by 6am... well worth a Burnley shithouse masterclass 👌
I just want to surface this post again. Heroic!! Are you setting off for the Liverpool match in an hour or so?!

Back