• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-0 Fulham: Verdict Thread

My comment wasnt about the game itself, more to do with the risk of relegation due to our small squad size and the possibility that there wont be three worse teams than us. It feels like a perfect storm is heading our way unless Fosun make a full U-turn on transfer policy and bring in some good signings.

I've seen the highlights now and thought we played quite well but if we arent taking our chances, it doesnt matter. I can't see us beating Spurs, we might get something from Newcastle but Bournemouth will turn us over and we will find ourselves near the bottom of the table and the pressure will be on and the atmosphere at the Mol will get poisonous fairly rapidly.

We didn't play quite well.

We were 6/10 first half and probably 2/10 second half.

My comment wasnt about the game itself, more to do with the risk of relegation due to our small squad size and the possibility that there wont be three worse teams than us. It feels like a perfect storm is heading our way unless Fosun make a full U-turn on transfer policy and bring in some good signings.

I've seen the highlights now and thought we played quite well but if we arent taking our chances, it doesnt matter. I can't see us beating Spurs, we might get something from Newcastle but Bournemouth will turn us over and we will find ourselves near the bottom of the table and the pressure will be on and the atmosphere at the Mol will get poisonous fairly rapidly.

OK last post on this as some people aren't even reacting to my actual point (hi Gil! 😅)

No problem with whatever opinion you have, and not trying to moderate, but probably would have made more sense to post it on the transfer thread, or start a relegation thread yourself, rather than whack it on the Fulham verdict thread, where generally people post their views on the game.

We didn't play quite well.

We were 6/10 first half and probably 2/10 second half.
Agreed, we created a couple of good opportunities by going over their high line, but once they dropped 10 yards that was gone and so was our chance creation by and large. Second half was a fucking mess. There was no plan to it, no structured plans or patterns, it was just give to a dribbler and hope for the best. It was pathetic. In the two games so far we've had better individuals man for man, but they've underperformed as well as being undermined by the lack of tactical cohesion

OK last post on this as some people aren't even reacting to my actual point (hi Gil! 😅)

No problem with whatever opinion you have, and not trying to moderate, but probably would have made more sense to post it on the transfer thread, or start a relegation thread yourself, rather than whack it on the Fulham verdict thread, where generally people post their views on the game.
Again, surely part of the verdict on a game is about how that game impacts the season and becomes part of a pattern of results? You don't have to have been at the game to hold a view on that do you? Neither DDW nor myself commented on the performance in yesterday's game but referenced the fact that comments from those who WERE there indicated that the problems that many felt were there before the season began seem to becoming realised. Sorry if I'm not allowed to comment on that in your world. I'll refrain from voicing my opinion in future shall I?

Again, surely part of the verdict on a game is about how that game impacts the season and becomes part of a pattern of results? You don't have to have been at the game to hold a view on that do you? Neither DDW nor myself commented on the performance in yesterday's game but referenced the fact that comments from those who WERE there indicated that the problems that many felt were there before the season began seem to becoming realised. Sorry if I'm not allowed to comment on that in your world. I'll refrain from voicing my opinion in future shall I?

Again, you're allowed to comment, but I have the right to comment back.

I wasn't at the game either, and no one said anything about being at the game but you.

I watched the full game on TV, and I'm aware that that is a different experience from being there too.

We're Wolves fans for the football on the pitch, not the drama behind the scenes, surely? If someone hasn't seen the football I don't know why they'd be throwing their verdict around in people's face, but maybe it's just me!

If you want a crumb of comfort then last season we were OK away from home against all the top six.

Man City: A bent penalty decided it. Granted they had loads of chances but that will always happen, especially against 10 men

Liverpool: Actually played well. Created loads

Chelsea: A rare fightback from us and probably deserved the point we got overall

Tottenham: Won and deservedly so

Arsenal: We did sit off too much but also had more than enough chances and we were winning with 10 to go

Man Utd: Battered them 1-0

So maybe Lage can deal with those games. He is clearly not good at getting the team to take the initiative, especially at home, and this mythology that deep down he plays amazing attacking football can go firmly in the bin. He doesn't.

Reactions: b3h
I'm one of those who hasn't seen a minute so far of either game not even highlights, but I'm going to comment anyway. The problem seems obvious and I realise it's an over simplification but we can't score goals, haven't been able to since Rauls injury. We've spent nearly 3 seasons without any kind of striker, Raul tried hard enough last season but it wasn't coming off for him. Guess what we still haven't signed a striker.
I was even getting excited about Batshuayi even though I've never really rated him.

On another note, my lad sent me a msg today that Wolves fans on twitter are already laying into MGW.
All that from not seeing a minute of any of the games.

I mean it's as ridiculous as not eating prawns because your mate didn't like them once on a pizza in 1986.

You don't say a film is shit if you haven't seen it, so why comment on something you have zero knowledge of?

Last edited:
My comments were not related to the game itself. They were a reflection on the 2 games so far and how those might indicate the difficulties that lie ahead. Is that not allowed then? May as well just make this forum only for people who attend the games then, eh?
The two games you haven't seen or watched highlights of?

Why would you be on a football forum, a space to talk about games if football, of you don't watch those games?

It's bizarre.

Last edited:
Agreed, we created a couple of good opportunities by going over their high line, but once they dropped 10 yards that was gone and so was our chance creation by and large. Second half was a fucking mess. There was no plan to it, no structured plans or patterns, it was just give to a dribbler and hope for the best. It was pathetic. In the two games so far we've had better individuals man for man, but they've underperformed as well as being undermined by the lack of tactical cohesion
The key bit here is a “just give it to a dribbler and hope”. It sums up Lage’s approach perfectly. We create next to nothing, the horseshoe of doom is alive and well. Nothing much has changed other than an extra headless chicken up front and when one of them plays like Podence did yesterday it’s like playing with three anyway.

We could spend a lot more money on new players but if we want to progress the best investment would be a new manager.

Dendoncker was the least of our problems yesterday, and when he was doing simple things in midfield he was competent and fairly energetic, but we really need to stop him pushing further forward in open play... He is literally a hindrance, like an extra opposition defender!

If someone only had exposure to Wolves through this forum, they'd walk away thinking that everything is either fucking amazing or Vanarama League tier. Has anyone done any research to see how many of our fans have bipolar disorder?

I think that's part of football really. The highs and lows. Going from thinking you're crap to brilliant. Football is a fickle game. Not saying this about anyone aboves comments in particular btw. Just think that's how football can be for a lot of fans. Some people always see a bigger picture but most will be up and down with it

Dendoncker was the least of our problems yesterday, and when he was doing simple things in midfield he was competent and fairly energetic, but we really need to stop him pushing further forward in open play... He is literally a hindrance, like an extra opposition defender!
Do you think having moutinho in there instead of donk will give us a bit more 'guile'? (Another favourite adjective of mine!)

Do you think having moutinho in there instead of donk will give us a bit more 'guile'? (Another favourite adjective of mine!)

If he has the legs, I'd love to see Moutinho in that role pushing into the box, it's asking a lot of a close-to-36 year old though.

If that's what Lage wants from Neves' partner then I'm not really sure that player is in the squad tbh.

Having been there for every minute of both so far and viewing something that doesn't really seem to correlate with some of the overly harsh criticism on here, I'd argue that relying on the views of those who go is just as unreliable. :cool:

If someone only had exposure to Wolves through this forum, they'd walk away thinking that everything is either fucking amazing or Vanarama League tier. Has anyone done any research to see how many of our fans have bipolar disorder?
So rather than commenting on others what did you think of the game?

Won't make a difference if we keep playing the same way.

Won't make a difference if we keep playing the same way.

At least Moutinho makes himself available constantly and moves the ball forward. He's probably our best progressive passer by some distance, that was a big part of the issue yesterday for me. If we can get the ball into the front 4 behind the opposition midfield then we'll create a lot more.

If he has the legs, I'd love to see Moutinho in that role pushing into the box, it's asking a lot of a close-to-36 year old though.

If that's what Lage wants from Neves' partner then I'm not really sure that player is in the squad tbh.
I would agree, donk just isn't effective as a box-to-box midfielder and gets less effective the nearer the opposition goal he gets.

I would have thought letting Donk sit and allowing Neves to break would be way more effective.

Back