• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-0 Fulham: Verdict Thread

So what you’re saying is MGW was coming into that inside right hole just because and Neto was making runs in behind even though he knew the ball wasn’t going to come. I would say it’s 99.9% certain they’ve worked on the movement to get into those spaces and in training that gets fired in but when it comes to matchday it didn’t quite happen enough because the back 4 in particular didn’t trust themselves to play those passes.
They certainly have worked on it. You can see them coming into the half space ready for a straight pass.

It's so predictable and so straight it's the easiest thing in the world to defend. Teams were doing this 10-15 years ago and to counter it the opposition would press the ball carrier or sit other midfielders into those spaces to cut options out, square receivers up so they can't turn and completely negate anybody running in behind (which happened all of twice during the game).

Our play is all in front of the opposition, rarely on angles and rarely drags opposition into unsighted or dangerous areas where holes can be left for others to run into

I was really looking forward to the fluidity of play through the thirds with 3rd person running on angles and breaking the back line of the opposition, much like City do.

What I've seen over the two games is predictable set piece coaching (in open play). Which almost never works.

it was shit, the fluid is not working againat a packed defence too predictable.
hopefully with Guo, and Jorge in attendance we may see 3 or.4.signings.

On a positive note, Semedo looked good.

There just aren't enough goals in the team.

The centre halves look good, Neves was Neves

That's basically the match report in a nutshell. No goals in this squad, never mind team

Positives: Collins and Kilman have a lot of potential and at times look effortless

Neves will make a great captain, his aggression and tackling combined with his ability... What a player.

We didn't sign Palhinha. Dirty lummox

Negatives: Podence makes the wrong decisions constantly, Neto have reverted to making the same ineffective attack play on repeat, Ait-Nouri joins Sa as a penalty box bombscare, what has happened to Jonny? Guedes anonymous in his cameo. Hopefully more to come.

I think the tippy-tappy intricate attacking play Bruno is obviously pushing us towards is doomed to failure unless you're the dominant team in the league and have the best players. It can't even carve open a mediocre Fulham side. It suits MGW to a degree, but it won't be long till his possession-losing back heels start getting groans. Adama suits this style even less than he did Nuno's

Dull and a bit dispiriting.

Yeah I think we are in big shit. I havent seen today's game yet but based on signings and results that other teams have made so far, I think we may struggle to find 3 worse teams than us this season.
Fosun have been negligent to say the least. If we dont strengthen the squad before the end of the window, I can see us in the bottom 3 by Xmas and you know how that usually turns out....

Seriously mate, if you haven't seen a second of the game today (or either, like Dire Wolf), then why are you even commenting??

I don't mind Podence being central, I do mind him becoming the focal point of the attack.

We played a 4-2-3-1 today IMV with the 3-1 all being fluid, which IMO is creating chaos for the sake of chaos. It makes us totally disjointed going forward.
Fair enough, I get what you’re saying now. I’d say with them all being fluid, unfortunately there will be times where Pod becomes the focal point. But point taken, I remember his debut and he lined up in a wall next to boly, hilarious.

I’m hoping once Raul is back/new striker signing then that should calm things down abit. Having that focal point, theb the 3 behind being fluid will be less chaotic and hopefully more efficient

Seriously mate, if you haven't seen a second of the game today (or either, like Dire Wolf), then why are you even commenting??
So we aren't allowed to read other people's views, read reports and and use that information to form an opinion about the team and their performance? Sounds reasonable...

Fair enough, I get what you’re saying now. I’d say with them all being fluid, unfortunately there will be times where Pod becomes the focal point. But point taken, I remember his debut and he lined up in a wall next to boly, hilarious.

I’m hoping once Raul is back/new striker signing then that should calm things down abit. Having that focal point, theb the 3 behind being fluid will be less chaotic and hopefully more efficient
Not sure we can rely on the answer being Raul. After his comeback from injury last year he wasn't the same player and with no preseason and a further comeback from injury, I can't see him getting back to his full force this side of christmas if at all. I fear that he needs to be replaced, not supplemented

You think it's reasonable to have a view on a game you haven't seen?

Seriously?

An in-depth view of the game probably not if you’re giving a view of how it effects the the current situation or emphasises the state of the club isn’t a problem.

So we aren't allowed to read other people's views, read reports and and use that information to form an opinion about the team and their performance? Sounds reasonable...

You're allowed to do what you want, but I'm also allowed to point out it's weird!

It's going to be a very generic opinion if you haven't actually watched the games in any way (even highlights!), and I think it would make more sense to keep those opinions pretty open and moderate, rather than banging on about relegation as the other fella did!

Having been there for every minute of both so far and viewing something that doesn't really seem to correlate with some of the overly harsh criticism on here, I'd argue that relying on the views of those who go is just as unreliable. :cool:

If someone only had exposure to Wolves through this forum, they'd walk away thinking that everything is either fucking amazing or Vanarama League tier. Has anyone done any research to see how many of our fans have bipolar disorder?

Not sure we can rely on the answer being Raul. After his comeback from injury last year he wasn't the same player and with no preseason and a further comeback from injury, I can't see him getting back to his full force this side of christmas if at all. I fear that he needs to be replaced, not supplemented
I think we will look better, we’ll, atleast more structured and less chaotic with a focal point. Agree Raul didn’t look the same post injury, but just having a natural number 9 who isn’t 5 ft nothing and can hold up the ball will help, especially with the likes of Neto making runs in behind

Having been there for every minute of both so far and viewing something that doesn't really seem to correlate with some of the overly harsh criticism on here, I'd argue that relying on the views of those who go is just as unreliable. :cool:

You can hold whatever view you like if you've seen the game, even if it's mental! If you can back it up during discussion, fine.

Personally, if I haven't seen anything of a game I tend to avoid making grand proclamations based on it, but each to their own

I'm one of those who hasn't seen a minute so far of either game not even highlights, but I'm going to comment anyway. The problem seems obvious and I realise it's an over simplification but we can't score goals, haven't been able to since Rauls injury. We've spent nearly 3 seasons without any kind of striker, Raul tried hard enough last season but it wasn't coming off for him. Guess what we still haven't signed a striker.
I was even getting excited about Batshuayi even though I've never really rated him.

On another note, my lad sent me a msg today that Wolves fans on twitter are already laying into MGW.

You can hold whatever view you like if you've seen the game, even if it's mental! If you can back it up during discussion, fine.

Personally, if I haven't seen anything of a game I tend to avoid making grand proclamations based on it, but each to their own
Don't get me wrong - we're currently some way from where we should hope to be. I just think some of the reports on here are veering a little bit towards

dads-were-doomed.gif

Stewarton Wolf, yesterday

If we lose on Saturday which is very probable then that’s no wins in 10 and 7 defeats.
Just to add in those 10 games we’ve played 2 relegated sides and 1 newly promoted. 4 of them are against so called big 6.
Anyone knows I’m no big Bruno fan but I think this poor run isn’t all on him lack of backing is a big issue. Could he be doing better? Absolutely some of the disorganised mess especially in games v BHA, Man City were there to see.
Plus quantities of bang average forward players or part time performers.
So reality as in most things that are going to pot it’s culpable responsibility. Jeff for lack of backing, recruitment for bringing in players who are just not good enough. Bruno not getting the absolute maximum he can out of each player and certain players for either letting standards drop or inconsistent performance.
First person to go is always the manager followed by head of recruitment.
I’d be amazed if Bruno is still in charge going into the WC break.

You think it's reasonable to have a view on a game you haven't seen?

Seriously?
My comments were not related to the game itself. They were a reflection on the 2 games so far and how those might indicate the difficulties that lie ahead. Is that not allowed then? May as well just make this forum only for people who attend the games then, eh?

Only saw the highlights but it looks like we created enough good opportunities to score at least one. If we score one then the game probably opens up a bit more.

Obviously I can't comment on the pattern of play though but based on the highlights I'm not about to start slitting my wrists.

My comment wasnt about the game itself, more to do with the risk of relegation due to our small squad size and the possibility that there wont be three worse teams than us. It feels like a perfect storm is heading our way unless Fosun make a full U-turn on transfer policy and bring in some good signings.

I've seen the highlights now and thought we played quite well but if we arent taking our chances, it doesnt matter. I can't see us beating Spurs, we might get something from Newcastle but Bournemouth will turn us over and we will find ourselves near the bottom of the table and the pressure will be on and the atmosphere at the Mol will get poisonous fairly rapidly.

Back