• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-0 Fulham: Verdict Thread

Think movement makes a massive impact on this, very few players in that squad happy to have the ball in areas that the opposition don't want them to have it. That restricts passing options massively and leads to the extra touches and generally lethargic tempo. You simply can't play quick football if people aren't moving into new positions.

Central midfield is a big issue for me, should be the beating heart of your team, always an outlet, always wanting the ball, dictating the tempo and dominating the game. Wolves are too passive here, and have been for a long time, too easily forced backwards or retreating in line with the centre halves to get some comfortable touches in. It's no wonder they've struggled to play through the centre of the pitch for so long when there has been so little change of personnel in that area.

I agree with a lot of this but there are lots of examples of the movement being there and the pass not being played. I also noticed today that Pereira sat on Neves to restrict him getting on the ball and as such we often had to go from CB into the forwards. Also, there were probably 4/5 times in the first half with Collins on the ball where MGW drifted infield leaving acres for Jonny to move into but he never moved into it which is surely tactical?

So against Spurs do we give RAN a rest and play Jonny LB, Semedo RB?

I disagree, it's clear to me that they aren't drilled to be able to raise the tempo which is why we play at the same speed all the time bar in the final 3rd.

There were times when Neto spun in behind and Ait Nouri waited an age to play the pass.
So what you’re saying is MGW was coming into that inside right hole just because and Neto was making runs in behind even though he knew the ball wasn’t going to come. I would say it’s 99.9% certain they’ve worked on the movement to get into those spaces and in training that gets fired in but when it comes to matchday it didn’t quite happen enough because the back 4 in particular didn’t trust themselves to play those passes.

So what you’re saying is MGW was coming into that inside right hole just because and Neto was making runs in behind even though he knew the ball wasn’t going to come. I would say it’s 99.9% certain they’ve worked on the movement to get into those spaces and in training that gets fired in but when it comes to matchday it didn’t quite happen enough because the back 4 in particular didn’t trust themselves to play those passes.

Because that's their natural instinct, that isn't coached.

Because that's their natural instinct, that isn't coached.
The video Wolves put out with Bruno mic’d up literally had him telling MGW to go high and then come short into those spaces to get the ball.

Not sure with Semedo not having any pre season and aggravating the same injury by coming back too early last time that he has that in him. RAN is definitely a worry though
Yeah both fullbacks have been poor in both games but I reckon Semedo isn't a serious option to start yet, they will probably give him as long as they can in the Preston game and if he comes through that look at it then

Semedo was the best of the three subs (low bar as Guedes did nothing and Adama had about two touches). Wouldn't start him yet though, chucking him back in too quickly is what did him last time. Mind you he had all summer to get over it.

The 'Coady can't deal with Mitrovic' thing was massively overhyped but Collins absolutely had him in his pocket. There's work to do in possession but he looks a really good defender.

Sneaky feeling Jonny isn't here in a fortnight. Something is very wrong
That would mean us needing a right back though, I don't want Yerson there and Lembikisa/Birtwistle are talented but not ready.

Could have kept Coads to play there :D

Most importantly glad to see no stories of anyone collapsing of heat exhaustion

Still annoying me that Mitro only got 1 yellow but probably being salty. Has the ref just given MGW one for starting it?

That would mean us needing a right back though, I don't want Yerson there and Lembikisa/Birtwistle are talented but not ready.

Could have kept Coads to play there :D
Yep, doesn't make sense, but he came back, looked fantastic and at some point something happened, I don't have another answer for it. I know he prefers the left, but he's not the player he was and the 3/4 games he played post injury doesn't make me think it's that. It's just strange

You've got a heavy lift ahead of you trying to convince me that we have any kind of tangible tactical plan after what we saw today, mate.
You are actually saying that the manager does not have a tactical plan. Lage clearly does. It is just that it is not working in your opinion.

The video Wolves put out with Bruno mic’d up literally had him telling MGW to go high and then come short into those spaces to get the ball.

He did that last year for Sheff Utd anyway.

Wonder if there's a video knocking about of Lage telling Adama to run towards the corner flag all the time or Dendoncker to never pass forward. Might explain a few things.

He did that last year for Sheff Utd anyway.

Wonder if there's a video knocking about of Lage telling Adama to run towards the corner flag all the time or Dendoncker to never pass forward. Might explain a few things.
I don’t understand what you’re saying now. There’s literally a video of Bruno telling Morgan to make those movements, what he did at Sheff Utd doesn’t come into this as you said he’s only doing it because it’s natural but there’s clear evidence it’s what Lage wants. In the video he also talks to the squad about not finding the easy pass to the player next to you but looking forward and breaking lines. Just because the players don’t do it as much as we like doesn’t mean it’s not coached.

I don't get all the 'It's all Lage's fault'.
Lage inherited these players.
The same players were performing poorly under NES.
Our goalscoring record has been pitiful for the last three seasons. Even more so since selling Jota and Doherty.
Injuries to Neto and Jimenez since.
It's no surprise.

Back