• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-0 Fulham: Verdict Thread

Not seeing how this is a counterpoint.
You’re moaning about Podence ending up centrally. It’s bound to happen if Neto, hwang and Podence are continuously interchanging and fluid.

In simpler terms, Podence isn’t going to stay in one, or two positions for the entirety of the game…

Reactions: Doc
You are actually saying that the manager does not have a tactical plan. Lage clearly does. It is just that it is not working in your opinion.
Then please enlighten me as to what it is, because I sure as shit can't see it.

You’re moaning about Podence ending up centrally. It’s bound to happen if Neto, hwang and Podence are continuously interchanging and fluid.

In simpler terms, Podence isn’t going to stay in one, or two positions for the entirety of the game…
So you don't have them interchange in that way. Simples.

It wasn’t great, but I’m not worried. I don’t think we’re in trouble at all. It isn’t quite clicking now but I think there are sufficient encouraging signs. If anything we’re probably trying to be a bit too ‘fluid’ at times, but I think Jimenez coming back in gives it more structure.

Also the heat definitely sapped the game. Nonsense saying “they grew up in Portugal”. They don’t play in the daytime sun in summer in hot climates because they know the effect it has.

Sneaky feeling Jonny isn't here in a fortnight. Something is very wrong
I only saw the 2nd half but Jonny really disappointed me. Maybe I had a really high bar for him.

Either he’s really not happy, or the 2 knee injury’s have maybe had a bigger impact then we thought?

So you don't have them interchange in that way. Simples.
So every time you want an interchange you say to pod he can only go from one wing to another.

Not going to work is it unless you’re saying Neto can only do the same and play on wings and we have just 1 who is always central.

Or Neto can go either left right or central, hwang can go left right or central, but pod only left or right.

Yeah, not really that simples when he’s trying to play a fluid front 3 (rightly or wrongly)

I only saw the 2nd half but Jonny really disappointed me. Maybe I had a really high bar for him.

Either he’s really not happy, or the 2 knee injury’s have maybe had a bigger impact then we thought?
He looks short of where he was when he came back in last season though. Really ropey on the ball when he used to be tidiness personified.

It wasn’t great, but I’m not worried. I don’t think we’re in trouble at all. It isn’t quite clicking now but I think there are sufficient encouraging signs. If anything we’re probably trying to be a bit too ‘fluid’ at times, but I think Jimenez coming back in gives it more structure.

Also the heat definitely sapped the game. Nonsense saying “they grew up in Portugal”. They don’t play in the daytime sun in summer in hot climates because they know the effect it has.
I mean, same for both teams and all that,
But it’s not surprising that the game drifted the longer it went on and more petulance broke up the game

He looks short of where he was when he came back in last season though. Really ropey on the ball when he used to be tidiness personified.

O I totally agree. Just trying to look at the full picture.

Also, different structure isn’t it. 4 at the back rather than the 5. Maybe not as confident.?

Devils advocate maybe, but somethings amiss

I don’t understand what you’re saying now. There’s literally a video of Bruno telling Morgan to make those movements, what he did at Sheff Utd doesn’t come into this as you said he’s only doing it because it’s natural but there’s clear evidence it’s what Lage wants. In the video he also talks to the squad about not finding the easy pass to the player next to you but looking forward and breaking lines. Just because the players don’t do it as much as we like doesn’t mean it’s not coached.

There's literally clear evidence that he was doing it himself years before that clip was released.

I don't really know what Lage wants from his team as the tactics are a hodge podge currently but trying to claim players doing what they've always tended to do is down to his instruction is clutching at straws for me.

It's even more confusing when you have MGW showing feet but no other player running into the space he's created, again suggests to me poor coaching.

Our lack of goals since we got to the prem is starting to drive us all fucking mad.
Once we miss/fluff a couple in a game you almost no we ain’t gonna score the players must feel this.
Remember the late goals we used to score you just neve r feel it can happen.
For those slagging Donk off I think you’re harsh he is what he is but he gets in and breaks up play he probably gets in as good scoring positions as any. I know some have invested their support in MGW but he’s gotta fucking produce summat at some point (still too over elaborate for me) We so need a striker and some understanding to build up between player.

Verdict Frustrating but we ain’t anywher near relegation fodder.
a little birdie tells me we are going to be even richer soon

Jeff bezos or knobhead musk buying us then? Did see a bald bloke in Asda today, that must have been bezos coming to see what he’s bought

With funds tight and pressing needs in midfield/up top, I'll be pretty pissed off if most of our budget has gone on Guedes and then the other two positions are done on the cheap. I know he posted good numbers last season, but there's the concern that in the PL that he'll be another 'all fart, no shit' kind of forward, which is the one area we've got plenty of depth in.

With funds tight and pressing needs in midfield/up top, I'll be pretty pissed off if most of our budget has gone on Guedes and then the other two positions are done on the cheap. I know he posted good numbers last season, but there's the concern that in the PL that he'll be another 'all fart, no shit' kind of forward, which is the one area we've got plenty of depth in.
Agreed. If he is signed, in conjunction with a first team midfielder and out and out striker, then bravo.

They were more pressing matters, and if GG has been signed instead of one of them then that’s a big mistake imo

Same old we really seem to struggle to convert chances, it's been like this for a few season's now.

I really struggle to understand why they can't just put the bloody thing in the net at times.

I agree with a lot of this but there are lots of examples of the movement being there and the pass not being played. I also noticed today that Pereira sat on Neves to restrict him getting on the ball and as such we often had to go from CB into the forwards. Also, there were probably 4/5 times in the first half with Collins on the ball where MGW drifted infield leaving acres for Jonny to move into but he never moved into it which is surely tactical?

These sort of situations with Neves annoy the fuck out of me, people often talk about him in endless superlatives but it's often far too easy to shut him down with a bit of work rate. For him to be compared to the very best, or even
just for Wolves to build something sustainable around him, he's got to stand up to that attention far better. Remember when England tried to do similar and had Rooney chase OAP Pirlo round for a game? Got made to luck a right mug and the old man still bossed the game without breaking a sweat. Neves need to take the bull by the horns in those situations and stand up to it, be braver, draw that man marker and take him out the game with a swift turn or quick give and go, at the moment he's got neither in his locker. When that happens it's back to the horse shoe of doom with Neves making cameos at centre half in a vain attempt to stay involved.

Didn't see today but Jonny just looks disinterested to me lately, I know there was talk of some fallout last season but he's gone from being Mr solid 7/10 to a bloke who spends more time ambling around and shrugging.

I think there's a big mentality shift required to push on, what they had under Nuno being the overachieving underdog who played resolute football and gave big boys a bloody nose when they overexposed themselves was great but it's at odds with what they seem to want now. If they want to be playing front football they need to grow in confidence, be more composed, more assertive, force the mistakes rather than wait for them to happen out of desperation.

So every time you want an interchange you say to pod he can only go from one wing to another.

Not going to work is it unless you’re saying Neto can only do the same and play on wings and we have just 1 who is always central.

Or Neto can go either left right or central, hwang can go left right or central, but pod only left or right.

Yeah, not really that simples when he’s trying to play a fluid front 3 (rightly or wrongly)
I don't mind Podence being central, I do mind him becoming the focal point of the attack.

We played a 4-2-3-1 today IMV with the 3-1 all being fluid, which IMO is creating chaos for the sake of chaos. It makes us totally disjointed going forward.

The heat wouldn’t help but both teams play on the same conditions if it had been raining at 17 degrees I’d still have expected us to be toothless.
As I’ve said certain players in forward areas are just average or perform on sporadic basis.
Neto, Traore, Podence MGW have given us snippets of wha they can do but none do it to a consistent basis.
You have to ask where are the goals coming from?
Who in the squad will score more than 5 goals this season?
The problems that haunted us last season are still here.
It’s not some sort of blip we’re in a proper state of poor form.
It’s not an on and off tap.

Back