• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-1 Bournemouth: Verdict Thread

I said last week I think it was, half of the problem with Kilman is what he doesn't do as much as what he does. He can be having decent enough game, but he'll have a moment of indecisiveness, or a lack of communication, or a loss of concentration and he gives away a goal. It's a regular occurrence. Factor in his lack of leadership skills, and poor onfield communication, and he becomes a liability at least once per game. He needs replacing.

Said it last night & I'll say it again. Kilman was having a good game, but what's the point in having the good bits if you then flail a leg out and put it on a plate for their lad to score? Ultimately it's his individual error that has cost us the game. Mistakes happen, even from the very best, but it's something Kilman has always had and at 26 I don't think he's cutting it out of his game.
I partly see your point, i just wonder what alternatives we can realistically acquire.
It wasn't as if his mistake was a case of him dribbling out with the ball, it was just a miscontrol ricochet at short distance as he tried to block a cross. In my view, I'm not sure how much you can blame a defender in such circumstances. For me, I am more concerned that they were able to apply such consistent pressure on our defence.

Yep, he's not our worst centre half, but while we are wedded to him starting and captaining the side, he'll remain our biggest issue.

Boubacar Traore's lack of involvement this season has been unfair.

Lemina and Gomes' best level is definitely better than his right now. But, when they're not on form, he deserves a chance, he's a good player.

A real positive from the past two games and should start on Saturday.
Been injured a fair bit I think so possibly fresher than others. He should definitely play though - brings something different to the alternatives and totally changed the game last night.

Last edited:
We saw last year how much a new, genuinely commanding and authoritative centre back can be transformative for a team. It might not leap out when the incumbents are OKish, but it should be relatively straightforward to upgrade given we're not looking for a complete world beater. I can see I'm not alone in thinking it's really the defence that needs to be the starting point for the rebuild of this squad.

Been injured a fair bit I think so possibly fresher than others. He should definitely play though - rings something different to the alternatives and totally changed the game last night.
Both him and Tawanda added an energy and physique to our game, they were also always looking to bring the ball forward, tho of course we were chasing the game at that point and they were sitting back.

We saw last year how much a new, genuinely commanding and authoritative centre back can be transformative for a team. It might not leap out when the incumbents are OKish, but it should be relatively straightforward to upgrade given we're not looking for a complete world beater. I can see I'm not alone in thinking it's really the defence that needs to be the starting point for the rebuild of this squad.
Tosin (Fulham)
Andersen (Palace)
Pinnock (Brentford)
Tarkowski (Everton)
Boly (Forest)

All of the five teams below us have a low key-ish CH (so not picking Guehi/Branthwaite/Murillo) who would absolutely walk into our starting XI.

We've conceded 54 goals now and will probably top last season's final tally of 58 (which took a battering with those Brighton/Arsenal beach games), that being our highest since we came back up. Will also go past 2009/10's 56.

2010/11's 66, 2003/04's 77 and 2011/12's 82 will be safe in their triumvirate of tripe.

I don't get the Branthwaite love, every time I watch him I see him make a mistake similar or worse to what Kilman makes.

I don't get the Branthwaite love, every time I watch him I see him make a mistake similar or worse to what Kilman makes.
Wouldn't say I agree (he's way, way more aggressive and proactive than Kilman too) but the point being he'd clearly cost a lot of money that we wouldn't pay, whereas the ones I've listed were all pretty cheap when those clubs bought them and aren't massively heralded anywhere. Or in Boly's case, when we gave him away because we appointed a cunt of a manager.

(I accept that he doesn't play enough games these days, but he is still better than anything we have when he does)

5 years younger, in his first full PL season, already called up for the England squad, man of the match in all the write ups last night and already being linked to a £50m+ move.

Tosin - £2m in 2020
Andersen - €17.5m in 2021 (granted, this isn't bargain basement but when you look at some of the crap we've bought for more money)
Pinnock - £3m in 2019
Tarkowski - free in 2022 (of course his wages will have taken a hike as a result)
Boly - £5m all in once add ons got paid in 2022

We don't need to break the bank to do better than what we have, we just need to scout properly.

Last night really shone a light on how much work needs to be done this summer, likely without a massive change in playing staff either, unfortunately.

I find this season such a strange one to reflect on. So many things don't quite add up or make for a nice straightforward explanation. Actually, even my own summary there? Perhaps it is as simple as 'manager gets on a hot run, finds a functioning formula with limited but talented resources that ultimately don't have the vital energy to keep going once the stated objective of safety has been reached. Hot run starts with an unexpected win that puts wind in the sails and ends with an unexpected loss that does the reverse'.

With the well-earned cynicism that the owners enjoy, and no track record of building anything sustainable for the incumbent manager (not his fault, just how it is), I'm still left way down on my mood this time last year. While Lopetegui chucked out some dire performances at the end he was operating under the assumption he'd be overhauling the players he rightly or wrongly didn't rate and had aready done a great job. He also went at over a point a game in the last 6 someone has just shown too... I never get the hate for him TBH. We're getting some poor performances now, but the manager must know he's going to be working with most of this lot again come August. He continues to make odd decisions (in my opinion), mainly playing Doc when we know what he is when he could be playing Bueno who's ceiling is, relatively, completely unknown. Doc was far from the worst last night, but only as everyone bar Sa was bad - he definitely did not have a 'good' game. That said, I do sometimes admire his formula of pass back then make a briskish jog in a straight diagonal towards the box. Balancing that out, to some degree (what though?), is the doubtless bad luck GON has had on injuries and a ludicrous lack of support from the owners.

I remain worried that the next answer will be bulking out a squad with some average filler, worried that the coaches will actually favour this approach, and that our Neves and Raul era will be our version of the Juninho and Rav era at Boro. Someone cheer me up, frickin misery I am!!

Tosin - £2m in 2020
Andersen - €17.5m in 2021 (granted, this isn't bargain basement but when you look at some of the crap we've bought for more money)
Pinnock - £3m in 2019
Tarkowski - free in 2022 (of course his wages will have taken a hike as a result)
Boly - £5m all in once add ons got paid in 2022

We don't need to break the bank to do better than what we have, we just need to scout properly.
The general view on Dawson after watching him play for a decade was he was a run of the mill clogger, yet he comes here and was instantly our best centre half, because he does the basics right. Upgrading isn't difficult, yet we spent £8.5m on Bueno and still didn't manage it, because he's another that can't do the basics like knowing how to defend one on one correctly. It shouldn't be difficult, we just somehow seem to make it so.

5 years younger, in his first full PL season, already called up for the England squad, man of the match in all the write ups last night and already being linked to a £50m+ move.
That doesn't make my statement any less true, and I'm not comparing him to Kilman, I'm saying he makes a lot of mistakes.

Leg dangling shit on this goal for example.

Tbh I'd happily give next season as a transitional period and go

New GK
Semedo - Mosquera - Toti - New LB

Get a solid Jonny type left back and an experienced commanding keeper.

Someone cheer me up, frickin misery I am!!
If it helps, on Saturday we hit 11 years since we were effectively relegated to L1. The defending on these goals!

(Yes it is Danny Ings scoring against us. Again)

Tbh I'd happily give next season as a transitional period and go

New GK
Semedo - Mosquera - Toti - New LB

Get a solid Jonny type left back and an experienced commanding keeper.
Christ no, Toti with his switching off and inability to pass in a 2? I'd rather Kilman

Back