• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-1 Man Utd: Verdict Thread

Mason Greenwood isn’t going to put the ball out when he’s got Marcal 1 v 1, and 5 men in and around the box.

Semedo shouldn’t have put the ball out, but at the same time he didn’t have a lot on so took the easy option.

After the initial request from Marcal though everyone is back in position and deals with it how they should do. Greenwood just forces the keeper to do something he should have been capable of doing. That’s part of our problem as well. If we were in the same situation it would likely be an awful shot or very tame. If Raul put his laces through his chance and hits the target then we may have got the same level of luck. Sadly he thought sidefooting it at De Gea was a good idea.

Didn't hear that, that's even worse from Marcal then, you just don't do that!
He didn't. He might have said it but I certainly didn't see him make any gesture. He just got beaten by Greenwood.

Don't think its true, revisionist and very selective in the sense it's become 18 months, disrespectful to what he achieved, ignores Nuno's fantastic record against the top 6 which I personally found exciting, so it just really grates me.

If you want to keep criticism to the final season then why bring up his 'previous achievements' and top 6 record, when last season that only applied to the Chelsea win (and a double against an awful Arsenal side if we're stretching the top 6 definition)? Surely you have to look at what Nuno did for the whole of his time here to get a fair appraisal?

Last season was a quarter of his time here, and the most recent in memory will always have some weight to it

Great to finally be back at Molineux yesterday, despite the result!

I think we are playing some really exciting football right now, and we still look fairly solid at the back.

For me, Marçal should have been subbed before the goal, not because he was playing badly but because he just looked knackered (not sure why, Dan James was abysmal and hardly troubled us).

As for the potential foul on Neves, it should have been reviewed on the monitor and it was close to being a leg breaker. As Pogba said, if it's a foul it's a red card.

Yeah Bear, watching live i was fuming about the Neves foul, and then on Sa being shite. But watching again and again Marcal was so easily beaten, it wasn't skill or speed even that got the space for that shot, Marcal almost just offered him the area to go in, really disappointing.

Just glad it wasn't Coady else twitter would have been on fire, it feels the bar at which Coady gets criticism is far lower than any other player, but that's an entirely different point.

He didn't. He might have said it but I certainly didn't see him make any gesture. He just got beaten by Greenwood.
What you mean is you missed it. He made the gesture and Lage mentioned it in his interview.

I didn't notice any type of gesture, but either way it's no excuse, really poor from Marcal.
It was right in front of me and it was noticeable that everybody stopped after Neves went down.

I think Moutinho also asked for the ball to be put out.

It's the first time I've seen Moutinho raging on the pitch, he waited for Dean to turn his back and booted Pogba from behind clean off his feet, a quite brilliant piece of shithousery.

José Sá is fucking trash. Such a stupid bit of business we've done there. Hopefully we start converting chances at the other end because in tight games he's going to keep costing us points.
I think it's too early to draw a conclusion either way. The sweeper/keeper element is undoubtedly needed under Bruno, he appears to read the game well in that respect. He could have handled the penalty differently last week, but I think it would be harsh blaming him for it. No excuses on the goal though, but most keepers let one or two of those in a season - obviously doing it in the 3rd game isn't great.

José Sá is fucking trash. Such a stupid bit of business we've done there. Hopefully we start converting chances at the other end because in tight games he's going to keep costing us points.
I felt similarly, funnily enough until yesterday. But he read 2 or 3 good balls over the top brilliantly, balls that i just don't think Rui would have been sharp enough to anticipate, that would have presented good opportunities for United. He's the reason that a high defensive line hasn't proven to be an issue that we thought it would be. hH's quicker with his distribution too, one really good ball into Adama's path in the second half springs to mind.

However, clearly the goal was bad, really bad, but Rui had a couple of those in his locker too, i think it'll be a while before we know for sure on this, where as when we done the deals i thought we'd really been mugged off.

Yeah Bear, watching live i was fuming about the Neves foul, and then on Sa being shite. But watching again and again Marcal was so easily beaten, it wasn't skill or speed even that got the space for that shot, Marcal almost just offered him the area to go in, really disappointing.

Just glad it wasn't Coady else twitter would have been on fire, it feels the bar at which Coady gets criticism is far lower than any other player, but that's an entirely different point.
I have no idea what you have watched. Greenwood is a better player than Marcal. Marcal has forced him wide because he doesn’t want to let him inside and have a shot at goal from a good angle.

Good play from Greenwood - the step over and then shift to his right, works enough space to have a shot/cross. Marcal doesn’t do much wrong, Greenwood Just works half a yard a smashes it. There is no one there to tap it home. The keeper just needs to not punch it in. I’m not even convinced it’s going on if Sa misses it (not saying he should have left it).

Sa is OK. Just not as high a level GK as Rui is/was but he suits the style more and is capable enough.

It was right in front of me and it was noticeable that everybody stopped after Neves went down.

I think Moutinho also asked for the ball to be put out.

It's the first time I've seen Moutinho raging on the pitch, he waited for Dean to turn his back and booted Pogba from behind clean off his feet, a quite brilliant piece of shithousery.
Yes it was Moutinho waving his arms once the ball went to Greenwood, Raul too with his arms in the air but he was a long way away. Everyone else had to just carry on, as Greenwood was on the edge of the box with the ball.

Sa is OK. Just not as high a level GK as Rui is/was but he suits the style more and is capable enough.
I think Sa looks a bit better all round, but not as good as Rui at shot stopping and possibly positioning.

I've watched our left back get taken on, beaten and allow a shot with very, very little resistance, a shot that went in.
He didn’t get beaten though, he’s forced him to take a shot from a nothing position. Forwards get shots/crosses in. It happens. Same as Adama does it countless times a game, often getting in far better positions than Greenwood did.

Great to finally be back at Molineux yesterday, despite the result!

I think we are playing some really exciting football right now, and we still look fairly solid at the back.

For me, Marçal should have been subbed before the goal, not because he was playing badly but because he just looked knackered (not sure why, Dan James was abysmal and hardly troubled us).

As for the potential foul on Neves, it should have been reviewed on the monitor and it was close to being a leg breaker. As Pogba said, if it's a foul it's a red card.
yep, at least pogba was right about that. studs up, over the ball, and with force. it’s reckless even without any contact. if it’s not deliberate it’s a coward’s challenge, studs up so all the jeopardy of the 50:50 is with neves. clear red and giving a foul should have been the easiest decision in the world. I fucking hate shit incompetent refs.

Greenwood's shot was going wide because Marcal moved him to an acute angle for a shot. Sa's save diverts it goalwards.

Most goals that are scored can be avoided if someone had done something different.

Back