• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-1 Norwich (FA Cup 4th Rd): Verdict Thread

Plus the photos seem to indicate Norwich fans were in the quadrant (you can see the upper tier front Perspex screens). The police normally usher away fans up the street between the uni buildings and ASDA car park. There is a big police cordon.

So why were these fans by the subway at all?
They weren't directing anyone, was very busy trying to get across the road where the NB meets the Steve Bull. Much worse than usual

Though I didn't see any of them I did hear chants of 'Yellows, Yellows, Yellows' as I came out of the Steve Bull

Did they want Wilder two years ago? Lage has done very well but the idea he’s now be on the radar of Seville or Valencia is almost comical.
I don't think the Wilder comparison holds up terribly well but I suppose we'll see.

I don't disagree that he almost certainly won't walk away if not forced.

He isn't getting the Man Utd job and no one else currently above us is likely to change their manager. If they did, he wouldn't be anywhere near anyway.

He would get another job, he wouldn't get a better job.

I'm not sure that the only 'better' jobs than he has now are teams in the top 6. I'd argue that any side who have ambitious owners and a decent base is probably s better job. Villa, Leeds, Leicester, Everton and even Newcastle if they stay up would probably be a better job even if it's not a directly upwards move.

He'd struggle to get a better job elsewhere. He'd be on radars for other jobs but to think that top 6 clubs here or champions league clubs abroad will be looking at him on the back of getting a side who have twice finished 7th, into a current spot of 8th is hardly showing Europe that he is the next big thing in management.

I'm happy with him and I have no doubts that he was pissed off with what happened on Saturday. He was quite content to say that he was happy to play with his limited squad when the narrative suited after a win, so to complain too much after a defeat to a poor side when he had 10 of his best XI available is disingenuous.
We finished 13th last season and were definitely on a downward spiral.

Like Tony said, he may not get a "better" job if your definition is table places, but he would definitely have suitors elsewhere. And the only reason the pick of teams above us in the league is so slim is because he's doing such a bloody good job.

As I've said a couple of times now, lets hope Fosun back him in the summer so we don't have to find out.

We finished 13th last season and were definitely on a downward spiral.

Like Tony said, he may not get a "better" job if your definition is table places, but he would definitely have suitors elsewhere. And the only reason the pick of teams above us in the league is so slim is because he's doing such a bloody good job.

As I've said a couple of times now, lets hope Fosun back him in the summer so we don't have to find out.
Downward spiral is a bit over the top, we had an indifferent season.
I agree with others, there just won't be better teams coming in for him. If we start to slide down the table, he take the brunt of the blame, justified or not, other teams won't care whether Wolves have backed him.

Downward spiral is a bit over the top, we had an indifferent season.
I agree with others, there just won't be better teams coming in for him. If we start to slide down the table, he take the brunt of the blame, justified or not, other teams won't care whether Wolves have backed him.
I know this isn't true. What a manager can do with a squad already and with money are two of the biggest drivers in management appointments.

We're probably going to finish mid table and we had two limp exits from the cups, we hardly score any goals. If someone were doing the job he's doing at say, Southampton we wouldn't pay him a blind bit of attention.

Pretty sure he isn't turning the heads of anyone. Just enjoy the work he's doing here. Well, the good bits anyway.

Last edited:
I know this isn't true. What a manager can do with a squad already and with money are two of the biggest drivers in management appointments.
Fair enough, I put it badly, if we end up lower mid table, other teams looking for a new coach would look at the squad we have including, Neves, Moutinho, Jiminez, Coady, Semedo, Sa etc and question why we were so low surely.

There's probably an element of truth in it. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if someone got a punch to the back of the head by the subway, however I don't believe people for fleaing for their lives
I’ve learnt over the years the best thing you can do when leaving an away end is have no colours on display, merge in with the home fans as soon as you can and keep your mouth shut. If you come out of the ground after singing “Wolverhampton’s a shit hole I want to go home” it’s never going to end very well.

I’ve learnt over the years the best thing you can do when leaving an away end is have no colours on display, merge in with the home fans as soon as you can and keep your mouth shut. If you come out of the ground after singing “Wolverhampton’s a shit hole I want to go home” it’s never going to end very well.
It still seems strange to me seeing away fans openly walking with home ones. Just a product of when I started going to games and what would have happened in that event

Like last season, you mean? And then Spurs employed Nuno?
That worked out well…

Spurs were getting desperate and no doubt looked at his previous two seasons.

That worked out well…

Spurs were getting desperate and no doubt looked at his previous two seasons.
The point being, football is a very reactive/quick world. Who knows what might happen between now and the summer. But if Bruno gets pissed off with lack of backing for his first three windows and decides to walk, he'll not be short of offers. Look at Watford employing Woy (I know they're a basket case club). Good football managers are hard to find.

Yeah, it's easy to mitigate last season for Nuno. Lost our main (in some respects, only) proper goal threat for nearly the whole season and didn't get anywhere near replacing him, the whole season was all over the place due to being behind closed doors (the only season where there were more away wins than home wins, it's never even been close before and probably won't ever be again). Generally just going a bit stale as four years at a club is a long time these days.

Plus Nuno was about 7th on Spurs' list.

To suggest that Lage would have the ego to think "I can do better" and quit, or that clubs would look at us currently being a slightly worse (in results terms at least) version of what we were under Nuno and think "let's spend a load of money buying him out of his Wolves deal" is miles wide of the mark IMO. We really aren't particularly good to watch, we don't score many, we aren't particularly punching above our weight.

Clubs would be more likely to try for Potter, Vieira or Hasenhüttl. Or in Liverpool's case down the line if he's doing reasonably well, Gerrard.

Plus the photos seem to indicate Norwich fans were in the quadrant (you can see the upper tier front Perspex screens). The police normally usher away fans up the street between the uni buildings and ASDA car park. There is a big police cordon.

So why were these fans by the subway at all?
I used the subway after the game around 5:15 or so to get to the London and other than it being busy there was no trouble at all, but did see Norwich fans walking in all directions without it seems any apparent purpose!!!

The point being, football is a very reactive/quick world. Who knows what might happen between now and the summer. But if Bruno gets pissed off with lack of backing for his first three windows and decides to walk, he'll not be short of offers. Look at Watford employing Woy (I know they're a basket case club). Good football managers are hard to find.
I like him Jinky and think he's doing a good job, even though he got it wrong on Saturday. If we are to hypothetically say he'll go elsewhere in this country where would you say?

He won't go to anyone above us, Villa have just changed manager, so have Everton, Newcastle will be frying different fish when Howe goes, which leaves just Leicester and Leeds out of clubs who are a similar size. Leeds don't spend huge amounts of money and what would Lage offer to Leicester which would have their owners desperate to get him instead of Rodgers?

I don't see it happening.

Back