• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-1 Norwich (FA Cup 4th Rd): Verdict Thread

We're reaping the rewards of the £35m acquisition of a lad who's barely Lg1 standard.

That money should've bought at least two quality players. It hasn't.

Yes, the injured players are coming back soon but none of them play up top effectively and when Raul isn't really available we look toothless up front as we did today.

Bruno got it wrong with Donk, should've trusted Chiquinho from the start.

I thought we created plenty but without the front player to challenge there's no point putting crosses in. One of those things is tactically wrong.
Silva was far better once he had some support. He had absolutely nothing to work with in the first half. The idiot ref also gave 2 very dubious fouls against him when he would have broken free.

Silva was far better once he had some support. He had absolutely nothing to work with in the first half. The idiot ref also gave 2 very dubious fouls against him when he would have broken free.
The first one was a foul he tugged his shirt

I thought Silva was really poor. He never looks like scoring. Sometimes the supply can be blamed but there were a lot of times the ball was flashed across the box and I can't remember him even being in the general area of any of them.

I don't normally bother going to Cup games, today reminded me why. Whether it was because it was the cup or whether it was because it was Norwich there was a sloppy complacency in the first half, both in and out of possession.

I need to see the goal again, but it looked like the type we don't concede this season, runner in the box getting an unchallenged flick, Ruddy looked heavy legged.

Second half was better, but more huff and puff than anything especially creative. Coady didn't do anything wrong and Semedo had a good game, everyone else sub standard to poor, I except Ruddy from that if my first view on the goal was harsh.

As always with Fabio, it's not who he is but what he is. If he were a 19 year old from the Academy you'd say he ran around and had very little service. Unfortunately for him and us he isn't.

Lage's radio interview was concerning, firstly it's clear he's pissed off with the squad he has, his tone was not of a man lamenting injuries. Secondly he kept mentioning finding solutions, which sent a shudder down my back.
I’m not sure what Fabio could have done much better. Raul did not exactly look likely when he came on. Fabio needs players to work better with him. He needs a run of games. The main reason we lost today was because Kilman, one of my favourite players, needlessly committed a foul. I was yards away from this & it was a definite foul.

Pretty poor all round. The formation did us no favours, at half time I wanted Donk hooked and replaced with Chiquinho back to 3 up top, found it odd that he chose to bring Chiquinho on for Toti and move Donk into defence with Kilman moving to the left.

Chiquinho looked ok when he came on, got stuck in a bit and decent crosses. Thought both Semedo and RAN were good today. Ruddy doesn't fit how we play at all, ie. Sweeper/keeper. Too slow and almost got us into shit for it a couple of times.

Word about the goal, didn't look a free kick to me and the Norwich player went down theatrically but as he lay on the floor where the challenge took place Coote drew the line about 5 yards further back which gave Norwich a much better angle to whip the ball into the box.

Disappointing, fancied a run in the cup and home to Norwich should have been a good opportunity.
I was yards away & both my son & me thought it was a foul.

I saw an extension of the arms too. You can’t do that and not get called. Easing them out the way maybe but not that.

The one on Hanley in the left channel looked extremely harsh though.
The second one was ridiculous. Maybe I was at the wrong angle to see the first.

Bruno got it wrong from the start. When the tactic is to hit Donk on those runs you know it’s going to be a bad day. Moutinho had an off day too. Don’t think i could actually tell you what position Podence was playing in and he made the wrong decision time and time again especially for his 2 second half chances. Fabio tried hard and the ref killed him twice but when he did get in behind he made a couple of bad decisions. He needs a goal badly.

Chiquinho looked bright, couple of very good crosses. Fabio attacked one well but Raul was nowhere to be seen for either. We really need him to find a spark from somewhere to have a good end to the season and we really missed Trincao imo.

Not the end of the world but a cup run would have been nice. We need to get players back fit and whoever plays in the front 3 need to start finishing.
That is how I saw the game too.

Pretty poor all round. The formation did us no favours, at half time I wanted Donk hooked and replaced with Chiquinho back to 3 up top, found it odd that he chose to bring Chiquinho on for Toti and move Donk into defence with Kilman moving to the left.

Chiquinho looked ok when he came on, got stuck in a bit and decent crosses. Thought both Semedo and RAN were good today. Ruddy doesn't fit how we play at all, ie. Sweeper/keeper. Too slow and almost got us into shit for it a couple of times.

Word about the goal, didn't look a free kick to me and the Norwich player went down theatrically but as he lay on the floor where the challenge took place Coote drew the line about 5 yards further back which gave Norwich a much better angle to whip the ball into the box.

Disappointing, fancied a run in the cup and home to Norwich should have been a good opportunity.
Twas Raul for Gomes which I agree was very odd. Fabio was somehow worse when playing as an inside forward.

When we went to 4-2-4 I thought we'd at least have one body in the box and move the full backs up to support. We did the second bit but not the first which was frustratingly poor.

I thought both Chiquinho and Semedo linked well as did Pod and RAN but nobody was attacking the ball fired in. Bizarre stuff.

Kilman looks like he can play in a two without any trouble but Coady can't, just not his game.

Norwich were crap and only got us on the break when we committed bodies forward but only for ed one save from Ruddy.

Silva had no help, but he also offered nothing either. First half he was anonymous, did nothing other than run in behind but we didn’t play the pass. He didn’t offer himself short, link play or combine with his teammates (although no one can combine with Donck unless your behind him).

Whoscored has him down at 23 touches which is tragic considering Raul (who was also rubbish) got 17 in less than a third of the time on the pitch.

Twas Raul for Gomes which I agree was very odd. Fabio was somehow worse when playing as an inside forward.
Apologies yes it was but still odd, Chick then replaced Donk

I was there and couldn't tell you. 4 2, do what you want
Had an air of the end of the Brentford home game about it. Though not quite 6 up front it looked more chaotic as time went on.

That was a tough watch. Semedo the only decent performance for me, RAN better in the second half. I commented a couple of days ago that I was hoping to see players stepping up with Traore not in the squad, but it went the other way. Also a very bad day for my new match going trousers. Aside from their now unlucky status it turned out that on delivery they were green, not the black my ageing eyes thought they were, so now I’m stuck at Rugby services with half of my outfit looking like the turnip munching Norwich fans surrounding me.

I don't normally bother going to Cup games, today reminded me why. Whether it was because it was the cup or whether it was because it was Norwich there was a sloppy complacency in the first half, both in and out of possession.

I need to see the goal again, but it looked like the type we don't concede this season, runner in the box getting an unchallenged flick, Ruddy looked heavy legged.

Second half was better, but more huff and puff than anything especially creative. Coady didn't do anything wrong and Semedo had a good game, everyone else sub standard to poor, I except Ruddy from that if my first view on the goal was harsh.

As always with Fabio, it's not who he is but what he is. If he were a 19 year old from the Academy you'd say he ran around and had very little service. Unfortunately for him and us he isn't.

Lage's radio interview was concerning, firstly it's clear he's pissed off with the squad he has, his tone was not of a man lamenting injuries. Secondly he kept mentioning finding solutions, which sent a shudder down my back.
Fair enough, will trust this reading.

Just get a striker in ffs

I think a lot season ticket holders gave this a miss today. I was surrounded by people I didn’t know who were incapable of finding the correct row and seat number and then had the audacity to boo at full time.

Back