• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-1 Norwich (FA Cup 4th Rd): Verdict Thread

When we took Toti off, did we go to a back 4 ? Or did Donk go into the back 5 ? If so, the latter made no sense as Toti was playing well.

Saw nothing of the game live, it's a terrible goal to concede. Stupid free kick (very soft, but get your hands off him, he's going nowhere), taken from the wrong place, free header and does Ruddy think it's going over or something? Because it's awful. Probably won't play for us again now.
Not seen it back, but yes I reckon he does think it’s going over.

I think what Lage did with Donk yesterday, tells us exactly what he thinks of where Campbell, Cundle and Chiquinho are by comparison.

Im not of the opinion he did anything to “prove a point” I think he would have put Donk in thinking that he was the best man for the job.

Which for me is the most worrying part.

And tells me that, as it stands, he has pretty little faith in anyone outside that starting eleven.

What makes you think Donck could play DM? He can’t receive the ball off the CBs so Neves and Moutinho would have to that. Even if he did and did actually face the right way he wouldn’t be able to play forwards into them.

In a team that wants to play through the thirds he simply cannot play anywhere. Not aggressive enough to be a defender. Not good enough on the ball to play in midfield.
Frees up mout / Neves from their defensive responsibility. I haven't said he'd be a creative player or anything, simple passes is all he'd need to do.

He'd be less bad as a DM than we would be as a notional RW

Just a suggestion really. Having dealt with a fair few Chinese companies this would not be unusual behaviour (I know that's really broad brush and different industry but the point stand).
I recently worked as a manager for a Chinese owned company and you are correct, I would say 'heteronomy' is probably the most apt term.

Frees up mout / Neves from their defensive responsibility. I haven't said he'd be a creative player or anything, simple passes is all he'd need to do.

He'd be less bad as a DM than we would be as a notional RW
Obviously he’d be less bad!

Simple passes wouldnt be enough. In a back 4 maybe where he’d have simple balls to the FBs. But he wouldn’t be capable (or willing) to play balls into tight spaces to the further forward Neves and Moutinho or longer balls into the WBs. He can’t receive the ball facing the wrong way either so your basically asking one of the CBs to distribute and skip him out. May as well not play him then!

When he plays for Belgium it's in a very rigid DM role. Rarely crosses the halfway line and isn't expected to do anything more than keep it ticking over possession wise. They can afford the luxury of having a player who offers nothing on the ball and no attacking threat I suppose given the rest of their starting XI. We wouldn't want that.

Plus when Sa plays (as he should have done yesterday) we push miles higher up so we don't want someone parked right in front of the centre halves, whether there are two or three of them.

When we took Toti off, did we go to a back 4 ? Or did Donk go into the back 5 ? If so, the latter made no sense as Toti was playing well.
Donk moved to the right of the defence and Kilman to the left

Obviously he’d be less bad!

Simple passes wouldnt be enough. In a back 4 maybe where he’d have simple balls to the FBs. But he wouldn’t be capable (or willing) to play balls into tight spaces to the further forward Neves and Moutinho or longer balls into the WBs. He can’t receive the ball facing the wrong way either so your basically asking one of the CBs to distribute and skip him out. May as well not play him then!
I did start this whole thing by say "but if donk has to play".

I'm not saying he should have played, but if Lage wanted to play him then there was a better way to play him.

That 6th finger must have come in handy for the fence climbing

"Going to the police would be useless, so I figured I'd go to the press and really make an impact!"

Fucking simp. Story sounds made up to me.
A bit like the "history" between Wolves and Norwich.

Bruno mentioned that after the Brentford game Ruddy already has his swimming shorts on ready for a break. I think he may well have still been wearing them.

He's not even been a good cup keeper for us for a while now. Keeps costing us goals, one at home to Shrewsbury, at least one at Villa, Stoke at home, yesterday, might be more.

I got some stick on here in the Summer for saying Ruddy isn't an adequate backup keeper for this level. Luckily we haven't ever had to find out bar these odd cup games, but he's really not very good and hasn't been for some time.

Another position in need of an upgrade. It’s quite a list now Jeff! It looked soft when it dropped in . Doesn’t look any better on the replays. Let’s hope Sa stays fit.

Back