• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-2 Arsenal: Verdict Thread

Terrible defending for both goals isn’t bad luck.
A good effort and not being battered by Arsenal isn’t the basis for judging we’ll get out of this.
19/08 we did alright at Spurs, plenty on here stated that the performance there would translate to points elsewhere. Well look at things now.
The fact remains with an extra defender on the pitch we still leaked 2 goals comfortably.

It probably ends up more than 2, we'd have just gone into our shell and they'd have gone for it.

Well, Klopp said the Bournemouth game they won 7-0 was a 'tough game' so, yes managers lie all the time. Lage used to say we played well every week and we were shit.
You or me have no way of knowing how the game would have gone if we had been awarded the penalty. So why be negative? There was plenty to be positive about tonight. If the players have the same negativity of posters like you then we will go down.

I think what people are struggling with here is that even if we had gone a goal up, there's very little in our recent history to suggest we would have held on to that advantage.
We don’t know though & that is my point.

Terrible defending for both goals isn’t bad luck.
A good effort and not being battered by Arsenal isn’t the basis for judging we’ll get out of this.
19/08 we did alright at Spurs, plenty on here stated that the performance there would translate to points elsewhere. Well look at things now.
The fact remains with an extra defender on the pitch we still leaked 2 goals comfortably.
The defending was poor. But if we had been a goal up would things have been different? We will never know. I just do not understand why VAR cannot get the right decision - especially when it is Wolves.

We don’t know though & that is my point.

We don’t but you can only go on previous evidence. That would suggest we’d have conceded. Evidence being the last 2 times we’ve been in front in a game we’ve lost.

We don’t but you can only go on previous evidence. That would suggest we’d have conceded. Evidence being the last 2 times we’ve been in front in a game we’ve lost.
Every game is different. Leicester fans were calling for Brendan to be sacked a few weeks ago - how wrong would that have been?

You or me have no way of knowing how the game would have gone if we had been awarded the penalty. So why be negative? There was plenty to be positive about tonight. If the players have the same negativity of posters like you then we will go down.

I'm not going to pretend that it was good because we managed a couple of counter attacks. If you want to be in denial about how poor we are, thats up to you but I live in the real world.

I thought we played ok. But apart from the nailed on penalty that the ref couldn't be arsed to give, we wouldn't have scored if the game was 120 mins long. One of the problems we have (amongst the few we have), is that we get people out wide to cross into the box, and there is literally no one to cross to. We just do not get people into the box quick enough. Even when we do get in the box the decision making is just none existent. Take Guedes as one example. He controls the ball well, lifts it over the defenders head and then instead of hitting it when it bounces up perfectly, he takes that extra touch and loses the ball. Times that by almost every player doing the exact same thing. Not sure you can coach goalscoring to players. Lopetegui has a massive challenge on his hands, and i'm sure he knows it. We're going to have to wait till after the world cup to see if we can drag ourselves out of the bottom 3. I think we can, but only just about.

Don't think it's anywhere as near as negative as the usual players state.

We didn't play well, but we weren't bad at all.

We clearly lack a striker and movement off the ball. Steve Davis is a limited manager but the players have clearly warmed to him.

We have to cut the individual errors out and be more clinical. Decision making is a huge problem.

Interested to see what Lopetegui does with this squad and with the transfer window.

Boubacar and Bueno played well and I thought the former was far better than Partey.

Still, we are where we are and without a striker we're going down.

Plenty to work with though in other areas of the pitch which is a good thing.

We clearly lack a striker and movement off the ball. Steve Davis is a limited manager but the players have clearly warmed to him.

We have to cut the individual errors out and be more clinical. Decision making is a huge problem.

Interested to see what Lopetegui does with this squad and with the transfer window.

Boubacar and Bueno played well and I thought the former was far better than Partey.

I don't mind all of that, it's the unlucky stuff that doesn't stack up, we didn't force a save from their keeper and they carved us open twice. We were beaten by a better team, we were always likely to be, just don't (not you)make things up

I thought overall we played well… I was impressed with Bueno, Samedo and Mouts in particular. I thought Guedes had a great game. Neves as usual was the out ball for everyone. There’s some good stuff to work with for Julen. He needs to add the missing pieces!

Agree with this.

I thought overall we played well… I was impressed with Bueno, Samedo and Mouts in particular. I thought Guedes had a great game. Neves as usual was the out ball for everyone. There’s some good stuff to work with for Julen. He needs to add the missing pieces!
Yes missed boubacar - we have gem there.

In our favour at least we’ve got a very well respected coach in who you’d expect would be able to get a much better tune out of these and any incoming players.

Not sure Saints new guy is up to much, and I think Lampard and Marsch are way out of their depth. Hopefully it all gets too much for Forest and Bournemouth too

I think the fact we’re grasping for positivity after a 0-2 defeat says a lot in itself.
Ultimate fact remains we were good in the middle 3rd but impotent in the attacking 3rd and sloppy in the defensive 3rd.
We’re just very poor where it really matters, constant individual errors tells you that some individuals aren’t good enough.
The reason we show signs of possible recovery is that we’ve got some good technicians in the middle of the park but squad is horribly imbalanced.
It’ll take some exceptional coaching and transfer dealing to retrieve this he’s got two major issues to resolve.

I don't mind all of that, it's the unlucky stuff that doesn't stack up, we didn't force a save from their keeper and they carved us open twice. We were beaten by a better team, we were always likely to be, just don't (not you)make things up
We did, one in each half. They were routine but he did have to make them.

Our finishing and shots on angles were woeful. I'm hoping attacking wise Lopetegui gives us a plan as it's poor stuff.

Contrary to @Alan I think our players are standing up for themselves much more than they were under Lage.

But we were beaten by the better team and they happen to be the best team in England.

Back